PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

writing calibration issue hp tuner.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default writing calibration issue hp tuner.

trying to fire up my ls1 in my s14 swapped car for the first time and i was able to write some changes, turned nats off and bumped the idle up and switched the trans to manual since im running a t56. but now when i go in to make any other changes im getting an error and it won't write any more changes, the writing to ecu comes up as failed. not sure what to do from here. called it a night since its midnight and i have work in the morning so restarted my laptop and hoping it may work in the morning XD? not sure why it randomly wont write calibration changes now.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:13 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try unplugging the connections to and from the interface module and plug back in....I have that happen from time to time on mine.

Think it is the same for HP Tuner ....I have LT1 Edit
Old 09-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

on a side note, once i can get it to write what all adjustments do you think i need to get it fired up, obv change the injector scaling to the correct size bump the iddle up and what else XD?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

got it to write now, and i scalled down the ve map alot and added some spark advancement alot but i still cant get it to fire. getting spark and fuel.

followed this idle guide on getting it to fire but no luck still
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...8776#post78776
Old 09-21-2012, 03:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Then its likely a mechanical or wiring issue.

In my experience even a vehicle with a very big cam and heads will start and run on the stock tune so long as the install & wiring is good ie I swapped an old 231/237 600/600 112 cam into my auto LS1 and it started and idled on the stock tune without much of an issue on the first try. If you can't get it to start its likely not in the tune.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by foff667
Then its likely a mechanical or wiring issue.

In my experience even a vehicle with a very big cam and heads will start and run on the stock tune so long as the install & wiring is good ie I swapped an old 231/237 600/600 112 cam into my auto LS1 and it started and idled on the stock tune without much of an issue on the first try. If you can't get it to start its likely not in the tune.
very possible, not sure what it may be though because i have spark and fuel, checked codes and not throwing anything serious just alternator and iac (i dont have a maf hooked up, which may be the problem? although i have it set to ve tuning)
Old 09-21-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Verify spark, fuel pressure, and injector pulse signal from the pcm. If it's all good, then it's probably in the tune. If you swapped injectors, make sure that you have the correct data for them entered. Also....you set the MAF fail frequency to 0...correct? As stated earlier....On a stock LS1, you should not have to mess with the VE table to get it to fire.

IAC code is a definite problem.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by salemetro
Verify spark, fuel pressure, and injector pulse signal from the pcm. If it's all good, then it's probably in the tune. If you swapped injectors, make sure that you have the correct data for them entered. Also....you set the MAF fail frequency to 0...correct? As stated earlier....On a stock LS1, you should not have to mess with the VE table to get it to fire.

IAC code is a definite problem.
The iac is ran through the maf normally isn't it?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a wiring issue. Make sure the orange power feed to the pcm is live all the time and the pinks are keyed power. Also make sure the pinks that feed the injectors and coils are live while cranking and in run position.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flame
Sounds like a wiring issue. Make sure the orange power feed to the pcm is live all the time and the pinks are keyed power. Also make sure the pinks that feed the injectors and coils are live while cranking and in run position.
They are atm all the ignition wires are ran into a switch board amd individual fused and grab power off the keyed ignition on the car. The injectors are spraying plenty because sfter some cranking I get a nice puddle under the headers. Checked spark and have plenty while cranking. Only thing i can think of is not having any iac since the maf isn't plugged in.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have fuel puddles then your spark plugs are soaked and are garbage. If you are using a MAF with the built in IAT then you need to hook it up.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Unhappy

If you have fuel puddles then your spark plugs are soaked and are garbage. If you are using a MAF with the built in IAT then you need to hook it up.
Yea I've pulled them and cleaned them after every couple cranks and cleaned them in my plug cleaner. I'm assuming its the built in the maf sensor but I'm not sure. I have an 03 silver's harness and pcm. And my swap didn't come with an intake with a maf sensor and I was planning on tuning ve anyways so I hadn't bothered picking one up. I heard of people deleting their mafs and just 0ing the tables out for it, but they must have had a seperate iac sensor maybe?
Old 09-23-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes you need an IAT intake air temp sensor not IAC idle air control motor you already have one of those on the throttle body. With no sensor plugged in it will read -40 deg and when it is cold it requires alot more fuel which is why you are flooding the engine.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Yes you need an IAT intake air temp sensor not IAC idle air control motor you already have one of those on the throttle body. With no sensor plugged in it will read -40 deg and when it is cold it requires alot more fuel which is why you are flooding the engine.
picked up a maf today and got everything plugged in, definetly cleared up the flooding, its turns over and will back fire once then just cranks. seems to be a timing issue. i leaned out the main ve table some more and bumped spark advancement 4 points on the high and low octane tables and still nothing. debating pulling the water pump and timing cover and making sure i set it correctly. outside of that im not sure what else it could be at this point.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

thought it may be timing so i double checkd it and it looks on to me.
kind of hard to tell from the picture. could it be a bad cam angle sensor possible? seems to be when its bad it doesnt throw a code but it causes back firing and the car not to run?

Quick Reply: writing calibration issue hp tuner.