Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP, drag race only...Gen 3/4 engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, drag race only...Gen 3/4 engine

My 1st. post..I'm way lost... "old time" drag racer (71). Never used anything but Hilborn's /Vertex mags etc. on my Chevy engines. Way lost on the Gen3/4's engines but this is where we are headed.

My son and I want to stay above 10 sec so we don't have to be licensed etc. We have the car/truck figured out (S-10/Vega/Chevy2/?) and are looking at several BUT we want to use the "new" motor.... Most likely the 5.3/5.7 version, truck engine as they seem to be quite plentiful $$$$wise.

WE have gleaned enough info so that we know to get all wiring/o2 sensors/computer off the donor truck for a start.

Mods will be cam/springs/possible passenger car fuel injection, Powerglide tranny (and it begins).

THE "way lost part" is how are we going to be able to "tune" the beast at the strip?...I see there are several add on systems available or are we best to just go to a non factory tune set-up. We are both NOT computer guys,..so "it" needs to be as simple as possible to use BUT tunable... ANY help is welcomed...Have done the "search" and ended up here. Mike

Last edited by mikeAZ; 05-17-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-17-2013, 04:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You have a few options depending on your budget. If you want to tune it your self you need to purchase tuning software like HP Tuners or EFI Live. That will allow you to change the programming in the stock PCM. However there is a pretty steep learning curve with either software. Another option would be pay someone to tune it for you. Those are your cheaper routes and would work fine for your application.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned, use one of the software suites to tune the factory PCM. You could get someone to do a good tune on it and then you can fine tune from there - or learn and do it all yourself...
Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Just use a carb?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would definitely consider mega squirt or micro squirt. I have never used them but I hear they are easier to learn and wouldn't require you paying 500+ for tuning software. One of the supporting vendors (I can't remember which) sells a version that is somewhat self tuning.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Default and so it begins...

Thanks, learning already... don't want a carb.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Checkout this thread. How to Microsquirt fuel and spark your LSX swap (sloppy mechanics how to!) 5-8-13
Old 05-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Holley, Fast, Mircosquirt. Look at them.
I would rate them in that order. WAY easier to learn, allthough a little more cost wise but worth every penny( you will have it forever). The stock computer can be a PITA if you are new to the game,+ $700 for HPT pro, $500 for 1st tune, Days (or weeks) spent on ls1tech, still need wideband.... There is always someone at the track that can help you tune a aftermartket system, not always the case with the stock stuff.
Just my2cents

Or carb, 5/16 nut driver, screwdriver, and msd box. (thats how i do it. LOL)

Quick Reply: HELP, drag race only...Gen 3/4 engine