Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hand smoothing the VE table

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 08:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand smoothing the VE table

How is everyone going about this are you smoothing horizontally or vertically. Up until now I have not tried messing with any cells i havent gotten data for and the car would prolly aprreciate a smother transition between boudaries that have and havent been changed
Old 04-28-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

What exactly does this table adjust and how does it affect performance?
Old 04-28-2004, 02:20 PM
FormerVendor

Ve table is the volumetric efficiency table it pretty much tells the pcm how efficient the engine is at an air pump. From these numbers the PCM can then figure out fueling. Bigger numbers =richer, smaller numbers=leaner. This seems to be the table the pcm starts out with all the other tables are multipliers or divisors (not sure) and that is how the computer figures out fueling (Injector pulsewidth)
Old 04-28-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
How is everyone going about this are you smoothing horizontally or vertically. Up until now I have not tried messing with any cells i havent gotten data for and the car would prolly aprreciate a smother transition between boudaries that have and havent been changed
I'll open the discussion w/ my methodology, sure to get a few rocks thrown at me but hopefully we all end up smarter. This process is based on the way I used to do it when I was running Speed Density Tuned Port Injection.

1.) I carve up my VE table into cells...I run '01 Z06 LTFT boundaries, not the stock '01 F-body ones, get more LTFT cells into play.

2.) I get plenty of EFILive scan data during closed loop, full operating temp, varying driving conditions...try to hit as many LTFT cells as possible.

3.) I export that data {LTFT Cell, LTFT % both banks, RPM, MAP KPa} into CSV and open in Excel.

4.) I sort on LTFT Cell, then RPM, then MAP KPa. This gets the data into "chunks" I can do quick averaging on...

5.) For each VE table LTFT cell ara, I average the LTFT % data (both banks) and apply that percentage to the entire cell area using LS1-Edit. This gets me into the ballpark and I start seeing part-throttle driveability improving.

6.) When I'm averaging close to zero LTFTs for a given cell, I capture more data and start trimming individual RPM/KPa coordinates or ranges. Same export and sort in Excel.

It was much much easier in TPI, there's a public domain program called VEMaster which automates this right down to directly modifying the binary and re-checksumming it. I haven't played with Chris' automation tool but it may do something similar. The process is very time consuming but yields good results for me.

Let the discussion ensue...
Old 04-28-2004, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

ChrisB's LFA makes all very easy.

HumpinSS - Make the table flow along with the existing. Look at the graph for VE and check it as you make changes. I'll send you mine.I have a new adapter/charger for my ThinkPad....$ 99.00!! IBM's are unique.

joel
Old 04-28-2004, 04:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by crainholio
I'll open the discussion w/ my methodology, sure to get a few rocks thrown at me but hopefully we all end up smarter. This process is based on the way I used to do it when I was running Speed Density Tuned Port Injection.

1.) I carve up my VE table into cells...I run '01 Z06 LTFT boundaries, not the stock '01 F-body ones, get more LTFT cells into play.

2.) I get plenty of EFILive scan data during closed loop, full operating temp, varying driving conditions...try to hit as many LTFT cells as possible.

3.) I export that data {LTFT Cell, LTFT % both banks, RPM, MAP KPa} into CSV and open in Excel.

4.) I sort on LTFT Cell, then RPM, then MAP KPa. This gets the data into "chunks" I can do quick averaging on...

5.) For each VE table LTFT cell ara, I average the LTFT % data (both banks) and apply that percentage to the entire cell area using LS1-Edit. This gets me into the ballpark and I start seeing part-throttle driveability improving.

6.) When I'm averaging close to zero LTFTs for a given cell, I capture more data and start trimming individual RPM/KPa coordinates or ranges. Same export and sort in Excel.

It was much much easier in TPI, there's a public domain program called VEMaster which automates this right down to directly modifying the binary and re-checksumming it. I haven't played with Chris' automation tool but it may do something similar. The process is very time consuming but yields good results for me.

Let the discussion ensue...

Bink- I think Ed said it best in the Cam Discussion thread. "The only thing unique about Fill in the blank is the price"

Comapq got me with that bs also

Access would prolly be a lot more efficient. Bink can atest to that

Also what is this VE MAster you speak of.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Access Is amazing software....but I needed tutoring to use it! Thanks HumpinSS!!
Old 04-28-2004, 06:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Bink
Access Is amazing software....but I needed tutoring to use it! Thanks HumpinSS!!

Anything you need to know just ask. You can do anything with access!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Hand smoothing the VE table