PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe HPT Pro tuning options without a wideband installed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe HPT Pro tuning options without a wideband installed?

I should be receiving my bundle from SDPC today (HPT Pro, Tuning School Beginners Course, AEM Failsafe Wideband) and am going to load the software and get going on the course. I plan to study the entire course but as my welding equipment is in southern California it will be a while until I install my wideband. I plan to first remove the CAGS and all the codes from my AIR removal and my long tube install. After that I plan to modify my fans to keep the engine running cooler. Is there anything else I can safely get into before having the wideband as I probably won't get that installed for another month or two?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You could tune your VE table and MAF tables up the the point of PE kicking in. It would be a good learning experience and should not cause any problems with anything. Could also tweak the timing table.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Came home to find the Fed Ex door slip on my door. Arghh! Now to see if they will let me pick it up later at the distribution center or if they can drop off tomorrow. If not its ok not the end of the world I'll be putting on my chrs1313 ram air tomorrow so that will satisfy the LS1 cravings for the weekend at least.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to weld a bung, I always install the wideband in place of the RF O2 sensor. Also set the open loop table to 1.00 at operating temp (all rows of the table).

Set your PE to what you want, then use the AFR Error histogram to dial in your AFR. Don't forget to reset the fuel trims before tuning.

Russ Kemp
Old 07-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Russ K
No need to weld a bung, I always install the wideband in place of the RF O2 sensor. Also set the open loop table to 1.00 at operating temp (all rows of the table).

Set your PE to what you want, then use the AFR Error histogram to dial in your AFR. Don't forget to reset the fuel trims before tuning.

Russ Kemp
I only have front O2 sensors due to the LTs. You are saying take out the only sensor I have on one side and just use the AEM wideband there? I have read that the 1357 bank runs leaner so I should pull that O2 and install the wideband there? I just got the box today so everything will start to make more sense to me as I start the Tuning School course right now I am very new to tuning thank you for the help.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by orthopod
I only have front O2 sensors due to the LTs. You are saying take out the only sensor I have on one side and just use the AEM wideband there?
That's the way to do it. I use the right side, as it's easier to route my wideband controller & harness. I never seen any real proof that the driver's bank is leaner. Tune for 12.6-13.0 WOT AFR and no more than 24* WOT spark timing.

Russ Kemp
Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Russ K
That's the way to do it. I use the right side, as it's easier to route my wideband controller & harness. I never seen any real proof that the driver's bank is leaner. Tune for 12.6-13.0 WOT AFR and no more than 24* WOT spark timing.

Russ Kemp
If that is the case I could get my wideband hooked up this weekend as I was going to wait until I could get back down to socal to my welding setup to weld the bung on. Will there be any ill effects to having no O2 sensor on one bung? Would there be any benefit to welding an additional bung down the road downstream of the O2 and then running two O2s again and one wideband?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

The car will be in open loop when the front O2 is removed. And tuning with a wideband requires the car to be in open loop.

No reason to weld in a O2 bung.

Russ Kemp
Old 07-16-2013, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Would there be any point to leaving the other O2 sensor in or should I just take that one out too and screw in the cap that TSP provides for their header bungs? As the AEM wideband will also be connected to a gauge that will be on my pillar pod running full time will this affect anything? To clarify I am looking to leave the wideband in not just when I am tuning as most of my tuning especially in the beginning will be all "street" tuning.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Using an existing bung is a good solution for tuning, but not for a full time wideband gauge. Like Russ K mentioned, you will have closed loop disabled during tuning so the front o2 sensors will not be used, but when done tuning, closed loop should be re-enabled and you would want both o2 sensors back in service.

I would go ahead and use an existing hole for now to tune with, then when you get to your welding shop, add a bung and move wideband to the new location and put stock back where it belongs.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Just make sure you don't go back closed loop without having the narrowband O2 sensor back in. The wideband installed in the front O2 location is just for open loop tuning. Also make sure to clear your fuel trims in the scanner before you start logging with the wideband for the VE and MAF calibrations.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
Using an existing bung is a good solution for tuning, but not for a full time wideband gauge. Like Russ K mentioned, you will have closed loop disabled during tuning so the front o2 sensors will not be used, but when done tuning, closed loop should be re-enabled and you would want both o2 sensors back in service.

I would go ahead and use an existing hole for now to tune with, then when you get to your welding shop, add a bung and move wideband to the new location and put stock back where it belongs.
Originally Posted by ddnspider
Just make sure you don't go back closed loop without having the narrowband O2 sensor back in. The wideband installed in the front O2 location is just for open loop tuning. Also make sure to clear your fuel trims in the scanner before you start logging with the wideband for the VE and MAF calibrations.
Thanks guys. Ok so for now the plan is to disconnect the front driver side O2 and put my wideband in there while I am tuning on the street and then take it out and place my O2 back in while reentering closed loop. Yes I have a full MIG Argon/CO2 setup at my parents so I will be picking up some stainless wire to put the bung on as I'd rather not pay to have it hacked on around here with steel wire when I can do it better myself in the future. I will read up on clearing the fuel trims in the scanner before logging with the wideband. As I start the Tuning School course my plan is to first remove CAGs, activate the fans earlier, and tune out my AIR and rear O2s. After that I will install my wideband and start street tuning.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Please report back on how you like the tuning school! Looking to go through all the same things you're doing in the near future

Quick Reply: Safe HPT Pro tuning options without a wideband installed?