PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to change the "working" range of a sensor in the ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to change the "working" range of a sensor in the ecu?

specifically, this is a swap into a 240sx and i'm trying to use a the stock fuel level sensor. not using a gto sensor because of space constraints. the sock sensor goes from 0-50ohm but the gto sensor is something like 50-250ohm.

i tried searching but i can't even come up with proper keywords.

is it possible to remap that aspect of the ecu?

thanks!

edit: it's an 0411 ecu

Last edited by VlaDeMaN; 08-02-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:11 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe this place:

http://www.pcmcalibrators.net/index.html
Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Teching In

can it be done with hp tuners or tech ii?
Old 08-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The tech II can't do it, I'm not sure if HP tuners has access to all the fuel gauge tables you'd need, but I think it might. I know it can be done in TunerCat, if you change the range of the sender by adding a resister to it. At least it has been done with the old 0 - 90 ohm GM senders. But why do you want to do it? Unless you're trying for an emissions legal swap you don't need the fuel gauge input to the PCM. Have you ask over on Silviav8?
Old 08-03-2013, 11:26 AM
FormerVendor

Yes this can be done however you need a segement swapped file that would normally be setup with the older GM 0-90ohm senders. There are tables that allow you to edit the current tank size, sender vs volume, and gauge output. All of this would take a little logging and tweaking to get correct however.

Question is what gauge cluster are you using?
Old 08-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Launching!

I don't think thereever was a fuel segment for a 0 - 90 ohm GM fuel sender, since they stopped using them prior to OS's that had swapable segments. I looked for one several years ago and came up with nothing. If one exsisted it would make life easier for some of the older swap
Old 08-04-2013, 08:39 AM
FormerVendor

2002 Express Van is the most common swap. I do it all the time on 98 Fbody cars using the newer 99-up PCM. The 98's still had the LT1 style sender in the tank which was the 0-90ohm sender.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pacer Racer
The tech II can't do it, I'm not sure if HP tuners has access to all the fuel gauge tables you'd need, but I think it might. I know it can be done in TunerCat, if you change the range of the sender by adding a resister to it. At least it has been done with the old 0 - 90 ohm GM senders. But why do you want to do it? Unless you're trying for an emissions legal swap you don't need the fuel gauge input to the PCM. Have you ask over on Silviav8?
yes street legal swap. i haven't asked over at silviav8, figured here is a better place.

Originally Posted by James@ShorTuning
Yes this can be done however you need a segement swapped file that would normally be setup with the older GM 0-90ohm senders. There are tables that allow you to edit the current tank size, sender vs volume, and gauge output. All of this would take a little logging and tweaking to get correct however.

Question is what gauge cluster are you using?
i was going to split the fuel sender wires, one to the gauge and the second to a micro controller for the range offset/difference that outputs to the ECU. however, if i can modify the ECU map for that sensor, i'll ditch the gauge. i use a tablet as my dashboard anyways. could i use the ecu to send signal to a 12v gauge?

i have a tuner coming over today to flash the stock programming i need and he uses HP tuners. what tables would we have to tweak?
Old 08-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/17044308-post5.html

that post mentions something about ohms to gallons?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by James@ShorTuning
2002 Express Van is the most common swap. I do it all the time on 98 Fbody cars using the newer 99-up PCM. The 98's still had the LT1 style sender in the tank which was the 0-90ohm sender.
The 98 F-bodies have a 240 ohm sensor, that is why the express van segment works, because it is also 240 ohms. Like I said before there is no known 90 ohm swapable fuel segment
Old 08-05-2013, 12:50 AM
FormerVendor

Actually you are correct.... I was wrong about the 0-90ohm on 98 cars. Check the 4th gen v6 f cars. Seems those had an older style sending unit.

You can always add in some resistors in parallel to bring the current senders ohm reading down.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to change the "working" range of a sensor in the ecu?