Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selectable tunes

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selectable tunes

Can this be done on the stock f body PCM? I thought I remembered seeing a post from someone that can do something to the stock PCM to make it able to have selectable tunes..
Old 11-16-2013, 01:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

A company makes a modified stock pcm that can have two different tunes, I dont remember who it is though.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Frost had one
Old 11-18-2013, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure why this can't be done with the interface. The old units I worked with called Cobb AP has been doing this since 2004 for a variety of vehicles. They even had real time tunes you could flash while the vehicle was running and driving on the fly!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:29 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarg
Not sure why this can't be done with the interface. The old units I worked with called Cobb AP has been doing this since 2004 for a variety of vehicles. They even had real time tunes you could flash while the vehicle was running and driving on the fly!
Cobb only does Japanese Cars......well...and some ford stuff because they put a Mazda Computer in the Fords..LOL

the reasons its not common in the GM ECU's is because they dont leave any extra space in them for a RAM table to be able to do the real time tune
Old 11-18-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh I know, and only forced induction ones these days. I used to be a dealer and pro-tuner for them. I have sent emails asking. But really this is no different than having a Diablo, or cortex, or any of the other hand held flashing devices thy can hold multiple tunes and flash them to change things when needed. I was quite surprised to find hptuners and efi live did not have this capability.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

Efi live's v2 and auto cal can hold multiple tunes.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm no tuning expert, by any means, But how can a Duramax use a DSP5 switch but nothing can be done on gassers?

That's 5 tunes at the turn of a switch. There can't be too much difference in PCMs or if a Dmax PCM can be fitted to a car.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SAPPER
I'm no tuning expert, by any means, But how can a Duramax use a DSP5 switch but nothing can be done on gassers?

That's 5 tunes at the turn of a switch. There can't be too much difference in PCMs or if a Dmax PCM can be fitted to a car.
Those are power programmers that act as an interrupter. Pretty much like a piggy back. So its actually another Control Module thrown in the mix..
Old 11-18-2013, 10:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by luigiandme
Those are power programmers that act as an interrupter. Pretty much like a piggy back. So its actually another Control Module thrown in the mix..
You can do it with a stock pcm and EFI Live custom tune with a 5 position switch, no piggy back boxes are anything.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
You can do it with a stock pcm and EFI Live custom tune with a 5 position switch, no piggy back boxes are anything.
On a diesel.

The EFI-L V2 will hold multiple tunes for a gas engine, but you can't switch while the engine is running.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ACCLR8N
On a diesel.

The EFI-L V2 will hold multiple tunes for a gas engine, but you can't switch while the engine is running.
correct I was replying to luigiandme about diesels
Old 11-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I was making sure the OP wasn't getting their hopes up.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, so here's my thoughts and question. if a diesel can have multiple tunes, why can't the gas versions. The trucks have the tow/haul mode that changes timing, fuel delivery and trans pressures. Also some 4th Gen F-bodies had the performance mode button that changed some parameters.
Like I said, I'm not up to par on tuning, but I don't understand any real differences in the ideals of it. The Duramax PCM uses the same tables and calibrations as the Cobalt SS and ZR1 due to having tables for Boosted applications.

Unfortunately, HP tuners feel they have no need to upgrade their OS for support a DSP5 switch and EFILive is raking in the money of Duramax owners. I need HPT for my car but really don't want to spend another grand for EFILive just for my truck.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^so just get efi live and use it on both vehicles. Why would you need to change the tune so much on your hot rod car anyway? It only takes 2 minutes to plug the laptop in and load another tune. Frost's flip chip deal is nice for low/high boost stuff, e85/93, and nitrous setups...but still, a few quick minutes on the laptop loads your new tune
Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the duramax PCMs are completely different than the gassers...

OK, so here's my thoughts and question. if a diesel can have multiple tunes, why can't the gas versions. The trucks have the tow/haul mode that changes timing, fuel delivery and trans pressures. Also some 4th Gen F-bodies had the performance mode button that changed some parameters.
Like I said, I'm not up to par on tuning, but I don't understand any real differences in the ideals of it. The Duramax PCM uses the same tables and calibrations as the Cobalt SS and ZR1 due to having tables for Boosted applications.

Unfortunately, HP tuners feel they have no need to upgrade their OS for support a DSP5 switch and EFILive is raking in the money of Duramax owners. I need HPT for my car but really don't want to spend another grand for EFILive just for my truck.
there is nothing similar about tuning between a duramax and a cobalt or ZR1

Tow haul only changes a few trans params, no timing or fueling changes there.

Check out our intune or trinity, it has 4 preloaded tunes for the duramax, and I can change tunes in our 06 LLY in about 45 seconds...
Old 11-19-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Mike. I currently use the Predator and usually keep it on the 85hp tune. you guys also fixed my PCM and HH for me too, when I'd done something really stupid. Unparalleled customer service.

Jenson,
I'm currently still working the bugs out of my 24x build in the Impala. I'm having trans issues. My tuner used HPT and said there's certain tables in there that EFILive didn't do that HPT did and he said HPT works better for the 24x swap LTx's.

Also, I like HPT's credit program over EFI. And since I have the ability to flash any 0411 PCM to any VIN of my choice, the year coverage credits cover me.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm the same way, but I almost went EFI live because I almost bought an LMM. Decided to keep my 12 valve instead. Wait...am I reading that right? You have HPT, but you also have someone that tunes for you?
Old 11-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

i'm familiar with EFI Live and dsp 5 which just changes resistance to switch to another tune. I myself have EFI Live along with the V2 but, its only to get tunes and load them to my LBZ Duramax. My Tuner uses HP Tuner on my ls1 so the only thing I can do with EFI Live is data log and i'm unable to load a different tune...

I have everything set up for nitrous and i'm gonna be going to a YSI shortly but I still like to take the car out on a sunday and cruise around without high boost and nitrous obviously. I'd also like to be able to switch between e85 and 91.

Am i at this point dreaming for all of the to be possible?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jenson
I'm the same way, but I almost went EFI live because I almost bought an LMM. Decided to keep my 12 valve instead. Wait...am I reading that right? You have HPT, but you also have someone that tunes for you?
I'm going to be getting HPT. Don't have it yet. Even if I did, there is no way I could set it up for a 24x swap. I'm pretty EFI stupid. But give me a carb, a distributor, a timing light and a vacuum gauge and I'm the Man.

Quick Reply: Selectable tunes