PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling my hair out! Please help me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling my hair out! Please help me!

I'll try to make this as short as possible. I've got a 1972 suburban with an 08 escalade l92 and a 2011 Chevy silverado 6l80e. I've also got a 2010 silverado ECM (serv number is correct for trans). I had a 2010 silverado ecm before that (correct serv number for trans also). Here is the problem. I had it dyno tuned and programmed with hptuners by a very reputable shop. Seemed fine, but he couldn't get it in 3rd gear on the dyno (I've got 3.54 rear gears and 30" tires). So all seemed fine. Drove it home and it does on me, dropping to idle only, no peddle response. Turn it off, let it set for 20-30 seconds and restarts and drives. Does this consistently when I'm on the freeway going about 60-70 mph and a apply more throttle. Not necessarily wot. Sometimes if I'm going uphill slight throttle will do it. I get the code p0606, ECM internal problem. Talked to the tuner, thought it might be a bad ECM, so ordered another used one. Had it sent to him, he programmed it and sent it to me. I installed it and it does the same thing! Actually a little more often with less pedal input than the first ECM. I called him up and he said we need to reflash it with a tech 2 and then reload his tune.

So here is where I'm confused. When we reflash with tech 2, which vin for which vehicle do we use? I know we can't flash the OS for the 08 engine on the 2010 ECM, or they will brick. We must use an 2010 OS so the 2011 tranny will speak correctly to the ECM. That is what we did, then just entered the '08 l92 tables for the engine. What will the tech 2 reflash do to fix this? He said something about the tac module being incorrect? Should we reflash with a 2010 escalade tune? Will the tac module still not be correct? Please help me! I'm so confused!!
Thank you for your time and advice!
Shawn
Old 01-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Anyone? Do I have the internet plague? I know you guys are smart enough to answer this, I've see the other threads on here with much harder questions. Can someone sheds some light for me?
Old 01-27-2014, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if you have checked this but do all the input pins to the PCM match your engine(L92) and trans(6l80e) configuration? I don't know much about Escalades and the changes, but throwing something out there for you.

Does the tach even give an output(reading) or no output?

Last edited by 1slowbusa; 01-27-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes that problem is caused by incorrect parameters in the electronic throttle calibration.
If the tb used is different than the one in the calibration it may trip REP/limp mode.
This is also caused by mismatched os/hardware, if a ecm is flashed with a incorrect year calibration, it will cause problems
Old 01-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Hey guys! thanks for the the responses! just to answer a few questions:
The pinouts appear to be the same for the ecms. The tach works fine an appears on the mark.

The engine and all associated components(sensor, throttle body, intake, etc) are from an '08 escalade. The trans is from a 2011 silverado 2wd, and the ecm's are both from 2010 silverados, both with 5.3. The tuner knew not to try and write the '08 OS onto the dcm so it wouldn't brick. So he manually entered all of the tables for the '08 escalade parameters.
The throttle body calibration mismatch seems like it would be the right idea. What I don't understand is using a tech 2 to reprogram the ecm to the vin of a 2010 silverado. Wouldn't it create the same problem with the throttle body calibration? Wouldn't flashing it to a 2010 escalade work better? Then most of the parameters would be correct, except for injector size since mine is not flex fuel. The TPS sensor and the Accelerator Pedal are the same part number from '08-12. Thoughts?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Anyone have any other ideas or info?

Originally Posted by jorgensensc
Hey guys! thanks for the the responses! just to answer a few questions:
The pinouts appear to be the same for the ecms. The tach works fine an appears on the mark.

The engine and all associated components(sensor, throttle body, intake, etc) are from an '08 escalade. The trans is from a 2011 silverado 2wd, and the ecm's are both from 2010 silverados, both with 5.3. The tuner knew not to try and write the '08 OS onto the dcm so it wouldn't brick. So he manually entered all of the tables for the '08 escalade parameters.
The throttle body calibration mismatch seems like it would be the right idea. What I don't understand is using a tech 2 to reprogram the ecm to the vin of a 2010 silverado. Wouldn't it create the same problem with the throttle body calibration? Wouldn't flashing it to a 2010 escalade work better? Then most of the parameters would be correct, except for injector size since mine is not flex fuel. The TPS sensor and the Accelerator Pedal are the same part number from '08-12. Thoughts?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

It's in the tune. We see this a couple times a year but we also tune hundreds of ls swaps a year. Where are located at?
Old 02-06-2014, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the response. I am in Southern California. Near Los Angeles.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First, your throttle body and pedal need to jive. The part numbers MUST be compatible. They must be from the same application.

Then, your ETC tables need to jive with your throttle body and pedal combo. If your throttle body and pedal jive, and you're using a base engine tune that has different ETC tables than your throttle body and pedal like, it'll do exactly what yours is doing.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Edcmat,
Thank you for the reply. I will answer your questions to the best of my abilities.
The pedal and TB are from the 2008 escalade. I googled and the part number for the pedal and TPS appears to be the same for 2008 escalades as well as 2010 silverado ( which is what the ECM is from). So in my feeble mind that would mean the ECT tables from the 2010 ECM should work correctly. Am I wrong? I just don't understand. So what ECT table should it be? 2010 truck? 2008 escalade? I know you can't flash an 08 OS and info on the 2010 ECM, so how do we put that ECT from a 2008 escalade on there, if that is even the ECT I'm supposed to put on there. Does the ECT have to match the ECM year? And what does a tech 2 have to do with any of this? Thank you again for all of your help
Old 02-10-2014, 04:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Everything Ed said is correct. Your ECM/TCM have to match & your TB and Pedal assy have to match each other and the ECM/TCM in order for it to work correctly. If just one of those is off it may run and drive but it will have weird issues like your having. I dont know for 100% if you can make it work with the ECM you have. I always just change out the ECM to the correct year since its the easiest to do. Do you have a copy of your tune?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Everything Ed said is correct. Your ECM/TCM have to match & your TB and Pedal assy have to match each other and the ECM/TCM in order for it to work correctly. If just one of those is off it may run and drive but it will have weird issues like your having. I dont know for 100% if you can make it work with the ECM you have. I always just change out the ECM to the correct year since its the easiest to do. Do you have a copy of your tune?
Thanks for replying. So by all accounts it seems that my pedal and TPS sensor match what a 2010 silverado would have. The ECM service number matches what would be correct for the TCM. This is the third ECM I have had. The first one was from the '08 escalade. But it wouldn't speak to the 2011 TCM. So I bought a second ECM. I had that one tuned, but it threw the p0606 code, so we thought it was a bad ECM. So I bought another ECM and it throws the same code. It's really frustrating when your driving and all of the sudden the truck just dies when you accelerate. Especially when I gave my 4 kids in the truck on the freeway!
I don't have a copy of the tune. I'll see if I can get one from the tuner. I don't know how particular he is about giving that info out.

At this point I wonder if I should just yank the 2011 trans and find an '08 to put in its place. Might make things a heck of a lot easier.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Any update?

Quick Reply: Pulling my hair out! Please help me!