Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Commanded AFR question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Commanded AFR question

History: New engine, PRC heads, and procharger installed. Tuner was never able to find/fix a random misfire >4800 RPM. Tried new coil packs, new ECM, plugs, wires, checked springs... I eventually had to retrieve the car and I'm trying to diagnose the problem.

Issue: I noticed via my Aeroforce gauge that the misfire exactly matches a drop in the commanded AFR on my gauge. Commanded AFR sits at 14.6 at all RPM's up until ~4800RPM, at which point it quickly drops to ~9.0. At this point the car begins to misfire, loses power, etc.

The catch: The run logs I saw while he was tuning were as flat as could be... AFR never wavered. The fact that the measured AFR's didn't waver would make me think it doesn't really matter what the commanded AFR is... the actual AFR measured at the tail pipe was perfect. Have I potentially ID'd a problem, or is that illogical?

He tried MAF tuning, SD tuning, re-flashed back to stock and started from scratch... the car always started misfiring at about the same place. It misfires at WOT, and also if I very slowly creep up to those upper RPM's and just hold it there... it makes no difference.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post your tune, config, and a log. What gap are you running in your spark plugs?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What plug, plug gap, and fuel are you running?? What injectors?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

I will ask the tuner if he will e-mail me the tune and a run file. They changed the plugs and wires, so I will have to check on the model and gap. I'm running premium 93 octane, on siemens 60lb injectors.

I forgot to mention the misfire is present with meth turned on or off. With the misfire also happening when not at WOT, just when I'm slowly easing into those RPM's, does that rule out that it's caused by spark blow-out?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Has it been the same tuner all the time? Has anyone else looked at the tune or car? If you want to make the trip to College Station I'll take a look at it if dont get it figured out.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks! I haven't gotten a file from the tuner, I've not gotten a reply from him. After blowing about 16 hrs on it this weekend I got really irritated and dropped it off at a second shop today out of desperation. Man I hope he finds something!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty odd that commanded afr never wavers until then. Almost sounds like it is making an abrupt change into PE and dumping in fuel. Hard to say much with no log or tune file, but that is kind of what it sounds like. Good luck with it.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plug and gap question is a good one too just incase that is about where boost starts to come in strong and it could be blowing spark out.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely. Had a Subaru I was tuning the other day and it was raising hell going into boost. Had him pull the plugs and found over 40 gaps.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

OK, so out of desperation we unplugged every electrical terminal under the hood and re-snapped them together to make sure everything was snapped down good, loosened and re-tightened every hot and ground wire we could find... and it seems to be running fine.

Quick Reply: Commanded AFR question