PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive it to the dyno on stock tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Drive it to the dyno on stock tune?

Ill be installing a 5.7 ls1 with 243 heads and a custom FTI cam/spring (very mild, truck cam) into my 2003 Silverado that currently has a 4.8. I will be reusing my stock intake/injectors/tb/exhaust. Everything besides the 5.7 long block will be reused from the 4.8.

I'll be driving the truck to tuner who is about 10-15 miles away.

Will I be able to drive it to the dyno?

Or will I need to ship my pcm somewhere and have a canned tune flashed, just to get to the dyno?
Attached Thumbnails Drive it to the dyno on stock tune?-img_1436.jpeg  
Old 06-14-2014, 02:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't worry about driving it that far but towing it would be optimal.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal opinion, I would tow it or have it towed. Think of it this way, all this work you have done will be determined if you can make it over to the dyno shop without damaging anything. I would also recommend to ask your tuner what he recommends. If he is that close, maybe he can stop by and do a little tuning before you drive it. Just another option.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drive it like a granny.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am no expert but I am reading a book about tuning by someone who is. Greg Banish's book Engine Management - Advanced Tuning states the following about large airflow changes in the engine and how the stock PCM tune handles it:

"When parts are changed on an ETC equipped vehicle in the name of adding horsepower, we run the risk of exceeding the PCM’s predicted maximum airflow. It’s not unusual to see an ETC equipped car suddenly drop into limp mode on the first test drive after adding a supercharger or larger camshaft. This is due to the added airflow. The solution is to reprogram the PCM to allow for higher airflow rates at high throttle before triggering limp mode."

You are definitely going to be moving a lot more airflow than the stock engine ever did. So, I would tow it to the tuner. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tadams72
I am no expert but I am reading a book about tuning by someone who is. Greg Banish's book Engine Management - Advanced Tuning states the following about large airflow changes in the engine and how the stock PCM tune handles it:

"When parts are changed on an ETC equipped vehicle in the name of adding horsepower, we run the risk of exceeding the PCM’s predicted maximum airflow. It’s not unusual to see an ETC equipped car suddenly drop into limp mode on the first test drive after adding a supercharger or larger camshaft. This is due to the added airflow. The solution is to reprogram the PCM to allow for higher airflow rates at high throttle before triggering limp mode."

You are definitely going to be moving a lot more airflow than the stock engine ever did. So, I would tow it to the tuner. Good luck.

He's talking about WOT. He's not putting in large injectors with a large cam. The car will be fine if he keeps it out of PE mode. I've drove one of my cars 300 miles with 60# injectors and a large cam untuned to the tuner.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
He's talking about WOT. He's not putting in large injectors with a large cam. The car will be fine if he keeps it out of PE mode. I've drove one of my cars 300 miles with 60# injectors and a large cam untuned to the tuner.
He's putting a 5.7 liter in place of a PCM expecting the airflow of a 4.8 liter. That seems like it might be a problem. Again, not the expert here and I am sure one will chime in at some point. Just passing some of what I have learned. Being a little off on a tune can be a lot of problem for an engine pretty quick.

OP,

Either way you go, let us know what the outcome is. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Yea, I planned on babying it of course. What is PE?
Old 06-14-2014, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

***** enlargement

j/k

power enrichment mode. it's a function of throttle position, engine load, and some other inputs. the engine leaves closed loop fueling begins to add fuel at ratios richer than 14.7
Old 06-15-2014, 12:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Driving it that far will not cause a problem unless there is already one there. Would it be better to have a base tune? Yes. Would it be better to tow it? Yes.

Quick Reply: Drive it to the dyno on stock tune?