Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Band Recommendations for EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wide Band Recommendations for EFI Live

What's everyone using for wide band sensor/gauges for tuning with EFI Live? Not set on permanent or portable. Looking for a reasonably priced setup that works well with EFI Live for tuning my 5th Gen Camaro when I get the new motor assembled. Innovate, AEM, other? Pro's? Con's? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of like asking which flavor we like. Will get a lot of answers.

I have used them all. My go to is always the AEM. I have several now. You don't have to calibrate it, or wait forever for it to warm up. And it is one of the most affordable. Give it power and ground and it works. Run the analog to your sofware Some will say no calibration is a con but mine have always been spot on with the dynos I have been on. Another con is you are stuck with the gas scale. I wired into a cig lighter adapter so it is pretty portable since I tune a lot of cars.

Innovate - always out of calibration. Have to do a free air calibration for it to be accurate (means pulling the sensor out of the exhaust). Had three controllers go bad in a relatively short time. Won't buy again.

Autometer Cobalt - Stays pretty accurate. Doesn't have to be calibrated constantly. Has an annoying startup delay. Counts down from 20. Only used in other peoples cars but just never impressed with them. The analog output isn't set in stone. Can be adjusted in the controller. Means you have to work out the config in your scanner too.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the autometer, and while I know a lot of people aren't fans of them (I'm guessing mainly because you have to change the scale in your config because it uses 1-4v instead of the 1-5v (if I remember correctly). Start up delay is a "little annoying" but they say it is there for longevity of the sensor.

But, the readings are accurate and match up to what I get at the dyno - and I really like having the AFR in my gauge cluster and matches well with my other autometer gauges. Changing the config in your scanner is not hard to do and they explain it well in several forums.

Other than that I would recommend AEM.

Never used Innovative, but haven't heard good things.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I use Innovate LC1 and mine has been great. I do hear they are hit or miss but they are also good about warranty on them.

My favorite thing is that it has an output for a cable made by a member of the EFI live forum to plug a serial cable from the wideband to the V2. Good solid connection and super easy to set up.

The price was a bonus as I use it for tuning my own car and truck and occasionally help friends so I didn't want to tie up a bunch of money in it. Sensors are also cheap from Advance Auto parts with coupon codes.

My roommate also has the lc1 in his car with gauge and it stays accurate, don't think he has free air calibrated it since it went in the car over a year ago.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

I run a duel PLX-WB's with my EFI-Live
Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the feedback. I realize this is a very opinionated subject but I don't have a problem with that. Seems I am hearing more bad than good about Innovate. Was already considering AEM. Had not even thought about AutoMeter even though I have run their gauges a lot over the last 25 years or so. I had jot even heard of PLX but from what I am seeing so far I am impressed.

So here is the question, it seems the M300 will allow me to replace my narrow band sensors with wideband sensors by providing a 0-5v signal to a gauge or data logger but also converting that signal to a 0-1v to feed the ECM. Is this correct because if so I think that might be the way to go?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I only run wide bands that are supported by efi live through the serial port. Havent ran a analog wideband since the V2 came out.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
I only run wide bands that are supported by efi live through the serial port. Havent ran a analog wideband since the V2 came out.
I agree. If it won't work through my serial port, I don't want it.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Which wide bands are you using? Advantages to using the serial input over the 0-5v analog input? I've got to dig through my drawer of EFI Live stuff and see what extra cables I have. To this point been soley using the tuner to flash mailed tunes for my truck and track car. I've done slight tweaks to those tunes but nothing that would have required a wide band until now. Trying to get smart here. Thanks again.

Travis

Last edited by tadams72; 06-20-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

you can adjust the AEM to a couple different outputs, it does lambda, gas afr and some others. http://aemelectronics.com/files/inst...GO%20Gauge.pdf

useful little tool. i'm digging mine much more than the hinky LM2 I was using before.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use my old Wideband Commander from Dynojet. Made it portable and has been dead reliable for 6 years.Been through a few sensors but thats expected since we tune 4-8 cars a week.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:22 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone using test gas for calibrating?

Quick Reply: Wide Band Recommendations for EFI Live