PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any ideas old man here just tired of trying!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any ideas old man here just tired of trying!!

I have a 1999 t/a I bought it new no one but myself has done any major work to it but me. I bought hp tuners yrs. ago around 05.When I first got it...it worked great ever any problems.I have my tranny rebuild about6 months ago.When when I hook up my hp I couldn't get it too work.I made contact with hp and they said it had be locked!! It's my car and it has not been locked.I do realize the cd I got when I bought my hp was the I think 1.7.I had tried to download the newer version but I have a new laptop and it wont let me.So what I'm thinking is try and go standalone for the tranny??Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.I use to run my car regular so I had a tune in there with high shift point and line pressure but now I want it stock.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to guess your HPT is the serial cable version since it came with v 1.7. You cannot use the latest version 2.24 with it, but if you set up an account with HPT, then on your customer page you should still be able to download and install V2.22 that is for YOUR serial cable. For the serial port cables, the software has the licenses you bought so it has to be the software for your cable. I would concentrate on getting your HPT working rather than trying to get a standalone controller for your tranny. If you cant you could sent the PCM to someone who could return it to stock. I could do it for you. You could even reflash it with V1.7 if you saved the stock file. It could be something as simple as your cig lighter fuse being blown that is keeping it from working. That circuit powers the ALDL port under the dash. I still have one of their serial cables that I use regularly.

Last edited by 2xLS1; 07-09-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OBD-II port power = ???

They should be able to walk you through software, a
download issue may mean you just never signed up or
don't remember your password; update distribution
via the web site was not always there (I still have my
v1.01 CD, don't remember when the updates became
web-downloads rather than email-by-request).

You would need to also beware the hardware platform
change, if it is not the MPVI (present version) but old
serial hardware, the newer releases may not support
it.

I suggest you get ahold of support@hptuners.com
(yeah, yeah, just do it and wait your turn) about the
update issues and the ones I've raised.

Standalone trans controllers, I have no beef with
but then you won't be able to scan what it's doing
anymore. Some aspects, that might matter.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man...i feel for you but i am just to new to help myself. I'm asking for help on this site also with my tune. At least this will get it to the top and maybe an experienced tuner will chime in. This whole tuning thing can get very frustrating but when you do it yourself it can be very rewarding. I would still go down the road of getting it unlocked by HPTuners...must of locked when you tried to download the new software?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
OBD-II port power = ???

They should be able to walk you through software, a
download issue may mean you just never signed up or
don't remember your password; update distribution
via the web site was not always there (I still have my
v1.01 CD, don't remember when the updates became
web-downloads rather than email-by-request).

You would need to also beware the hardware platform
change, if it is not the MPVI (present version) but old
serial hardware, the newer releases may not support
it.

I suggest you get ahold of support@hptuners.com
(yeah, yeah, just do it and wait your turn) about the
update issues and the ones I've raised.

Standalone trans controllers, I have no beef with
but then you won't be able to scan what it's doing
anymore. Some aspects, that might matter.
HPT has discontinued support for the serial cables so I would be surprised if they offered any help. Even though when the announced they discontinuing support, they said they would continue with software upgrades for their serial cable customers. Lets just say they didn't exactly hold up their end of that bargain.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Yeah I have contacted support twice and when I gave them my serial number I never hear back. I even offered to ship my tuner and cables so they can check they for me and get no response. I understand it's been around 5 yrs. or so since I used it last but it should still work. I even ask if I could send my tuner and cables too them and check them out but no response there either.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
I'm going to guess your HPT is the serial cable version since it came with v 1.7. You cannot use the latest version 2.24 with it, but if you set up an account with HPT, then on your customer page you should still be able to download and install V2.22 that is for YOUR serial cable. For the serial port cables, the software has the licenses you bought so it has to be the software for your cable. I would concentrate on getting your HPT working rather than trying to get a standalone controller for your tranny. If you cant you could sent the PCM to someone who could return it to stock. I could do it for you. You could even reflash it with V1.7 if you saved the stock file. It could be something as simple as your cig lighter fuse being blown that is keeping it from working. That circuit powers the ALDL port under the dash. I still have one of their serial cables that I use regularly.
I have an account on there,but when I try to download v2.22 it tells me I nee to download framework 4.0 so I try and the my laptop wont download that because what have is higher that 4.0?? I think my biggest problems is I'm not very pc savey. I just wont my car back normal
Old 07-12-2014, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

A GM dealer could flash it back to stock if that is all you are after. Ship the pcm to me and I'll do it for just the shipping costs. Think of it as one old man helping another.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
A GM dealer could flash it back to stock if that is all you are after. Ship the pcm to me and I'll do it for just the shipping costs. Think of it as one old man helping another.
I sure would appreciate that very much. Just tell me where and it'll be on the way. I see you live in OK so it wont take long. And yes the only thing I need is a stock tranny tune everything else is great.

thanks, Robert 843-258-2373

Last edited by firebird380hp; 07-13-2014 at 05:30 AM. Reason: n/a
Old 07-18-2014, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Firebird380hp

shot you a pm, would be glad to help.

Quick Reply: any ideas old man here just tired of trying!!