Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edit quirks - and a problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edit quirks - and a problem

First I want to see if anyone has noticed that some values in the flash file seem to change on their own when you modify an existing flash file. Specifically, in the Engine Diagnostic section I have seen the Cat Counts to Pass and Max RPM for P0106 both change randomly as I have made modifications to my flash. I have also noticed that values in the VE table are often off by one unit after changes are made.

Now my problem...
After noticing that the two aforementioned values in the Engine Diag had changed, I decided to set them back to the stock values. I was thinking that if the values were incorrect, it might start setting codes or something.
So, after flashing this new file my electronic throttle won't go over 93.7% at WOT.
But with the engine off and the key on, it will go all the way to 99.6%. I have my max air ETC table set at 125% of stock for some time now with no problems. The only new thing I changed was the Cat Counts to Pass and Max RPM value in the DTC P0106 test box.

Any ideas, suggestions, or help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: oh yeah, I tried flashing the previous file (with untouched Engine Diag values) but the throttle problem is still there.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

What version are you using?
Old 05-20-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

version 1.4
Old 05-21-2004, 12:09 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I'd be interested to see if the file thats loaded is in any way different than the file thats acutally installed. Go ahead and download the tune thats currently installed just to see if the values are what they should have been compared to your latest Edit revision.

Load your original stock file and check the results with it.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

That was my next plan of attack - try to read the PCM and see what comes out. Then try putting the stock tune back in. I will try both of these when I get home later (still at work... working a little bit ).
Old 05-21-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

ttt
I haven't tried a read yet. Nothing new to report, but still interested in ideas, opinions, suggestions...
Old 05-21-2004, 02:30 PM
FormerVendor

Ive noticed that edit also doesnt write the right values at times. Inly ting i seen this with was the fan temps in Edit i set the to 180 on 175 on and when i used efi live v6 to read the MIsc information i seen they were two degrees off from what was programed. I guess someone is having issues converting these numbers back and forth and is losing bytes somwhere
Old 05-22-2004, 12:56 AM
etc

can't remember where i read this [maybe all those edit e-mails], but when you mentioned it kind of popped back in my head. i think it was said that the values that are assigned are the closest values the pcm was programmed to recognize. in other words to keep the files smaller [less memory to fail], if the programmer knew that particular value was never going to be used in the stock tuning on any vehicle that the particular pcm was used in, they just did'nt use the extra space to have that number available in that particular table. if you think about it, if every space in every table recognizes every number including all the decimals, you can use up alot of memory really fast. i believe it was also mentioned that 512 kb is already a very small file, and maybe it was just laziness on the programmers part. as far as your e.t.c is concerned, i don't have one so it's a shot in the dark, is there any mech actuator that could have slack ? possibly when you have the motor running there is resistance to over come that would make that "slack" apparent in the resulting non 100% readings. while, when it's not running there is no vacumn to cause resistance against the blade and in turn the actuator and then the tps. this assuming the tps is zeroed at rest. good luck with that, btw, still can't get a freeze shot on efi live. best i could do was copy and paste on wordpad.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:27 AM
TECH Regular

HumpinSS, I have seen the same thing on the fan temps: 2 degrees off.

UPDATE: I read the file in the PCM - looks the same as the one I flashed in there. So I flashed it back to the stock tune, and... my throttle works again! All the way to 99.6% when driving.
This has been another strange chapter in the saga of Edit glitches. I hope when I modify the tune again the problem doesn't return.