PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 swap runs great but have 3 OBDII codes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 swap runs great but have 3 OBDII codes?

Put a 5.3/4l60e in my 64 chevelle. Recently installed new American Autowire "classic update" wiring harness & new PSI conversions engine harness. Also recently installed new AC delco 41-110 plugs, AC delco wires, new MAF sensor, both knock sensors, & knock sensor wiring harness.

Car runs great, idles smooth, no drive-ability issues.

I keep getting the following 3 OBD II codes.
- P0101 (Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance)
- P0327 (Knock sensor 1 circuit low)
- P0332 (Knock sensor 2 circuit low)

I have verified the correct resistance for both the Knock sensors with a multimeter.

I am at my wits end trying to figure this out.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 01-20-2015, 09:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Its probably an issue in the harness if you replaced all those sensors. I would check the pins at the pcm and the pins at the connector for continuity. Also check to make sure the harness is pinned correctly for your MAF.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Check to make sure the knock sensor harness didn't get pinched between the bell housing and block also. Reset your ecu and see if the codes come back. Do you have a scanner that will tell you what the sensors outputs are?
Old 01-20-2015, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99z28383
Check to make sure the knock sensor harness didn't get pinched between the bell housing and block also. Reset your ecu and see if the codes come back. Do you have a scanner that will tell you what the sensors outputs are?
I cannot see knock sensor output with the data logging software I have. I do not have pinched wires. I cannot reset ECU as I only have data logging ability.

If by "reset" you mean clear the trouble codes I have done that multiple times but the codes keep coming back.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

P0101 is a predicted air flow code. The amount of air flow through the MAF is not what the PCM calibration is expecting to see for a given rpm/tps/map. Since this is a transplant and probably not using the original intake tube plumbing the diagnostic parameters may just need to be adjusted in the calibration. More details in the MAF/intake tract and the year and model vehicle the PCM is from would be helpful. Don't understand why this information is oftem omitted in requests for help. Not all year/vehicle calibrations are the same. Also was any tuning done on the pcm? What brand knock sensors were installed and were the torqued to spec with a torque wrench?
Old 01-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
P0101 is a predicted air flow code. The amount of air flow through the MAF is not what the PCM calibration is expecting to see for a given rpm/tps/map. Since this is a transplant and probably not using the original intake tube plumbing the diagnostic parameters may just need to be adjusted in the calibration. More details in the MAF/intake tract and the year and model vehicle the PCM is from would be helpful. Don't understand why this information is oftem omitted in requests for help. Not all year/vehicle calibrations are the same. Also was any tuning done on the pcm? What brand knock sensors were installed and were the torqued to spec with a torque wrench?
Spectra cone filter, MAF, 90 silcone elbow, throttle body. Stock tune initialy and then modified by LSX tuning to get idle qulaity improved. No engine modifications. 2004 5.3L/4L60e 80,000 mile donor. Knock sensors purchased off ebay, generic brand. Torqued properly.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

I have heard nothing good about "generic" knock sensors for these engines. Buy some Delcos or try someone else's used, but known working sensors. Having a cone filter directly in front of the maf with no intermediate pipe can cause turbulent air and false readings. Unhook the battery for 10 minutes, take the filter off and try starting it up again to see if the filter was causing erratic readings.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99z28383
I have heard nothing good about "generic" knock sensors for these engines. Buy some Delcos or try someone else's used, but known working sensors. Having a cone filter directly in front of the maf with no intermediate pipe can cause turbulent air and false readings. Unhook the battery for 10 minutes, take the filter off and try starting it up again to see if the filter was causing erratic readings.
I tried removing the cone filter and code still pops up. Guess I will try delco knock sensors first and see if that works.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

For the P0101 problem, have your tuner multiply the Maximum Delta Airflow - P0101 Error table by 4.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by neal64ss
Put a 5.3/4l60e in my 64 chevelle. Recently installed new American Autowire "classic update" wiring harness & new PSI conversions engine harness. Also recently installed new AC delco 41-110 plugs, AC delco wires, new MAF sensor, both knock sensors, & knock sensor wiring harness.

Car runs great, idles smooth, no drive-ability issues.

I keep getting the following 3 OBD II codes.
- P0101 (Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance)
- P0327 (Knock sensor 1 circuit low)
- P0332 (Knock sensor 2 circuit low)

I have verified the correct resistance for both the Knock sensors with a multimeter.

I am at my wits end trying to figure this out.

Give me a call I have a couple things for you to try.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Give me a call I have a couple things for you to try.
Thanks for the offer. I am going to try Delco MAF and knock sensors and see what that does before I try anything else. I guess I got "chinese" parts and that was why they were so inexpensive. If that doesn't fix me up I will give you a call as you got me fixed up last time I had a tuning issue.

Will be sending you another PCM to tune later this year when I put another 5.3 in my sons 68 C10 truck.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your MAF is probably not bad unless it is some re-man junk. Again, it is a predicted airflow diagnostic. The stock 04 truck predicted air flow table has a lot tighter limits than older year vehicles. Learned my lesson on this years on a 04 GTO with a hugh cam and heads. If your tune is correct for actual airflow, it does not matter what the predicted airflow is. Many of these diagnostic tables are set up solely for emission monitoring on stock vehicles and as the years went on some of the tolerances got tighter.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Problem solved.

I replaced both generic brand knock sensors with delco brand and that resolved the knock codes. Replaced the generic MAF sensor with a new Delphi MAF and that code is now gone as well. The difference in build quality on the MAF was astonishing as I compared the two.

Thanks to all who responded and helped to point me in the right direction.

Quick Reply: 5.3 swap runs great but have 3 OBDII codes?