PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

which pcm is best for me, holley, gm performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which pcm is best for me, holley, gm performance

Please bear with me, I am swapping a LS7 into my 70 Chevelle, I am a total rookie at this, I was all set with going with the holley hp#550_603, ( Ecu and
Harness)
But now I just saw the GM Performance kit#19258553, which comes with, ecu,
Harness, 02's, maf, bungs, drive by wire pedal and is about $600 cheaper than the holley hp,
Here is why I ask which way I should go
My set up (already purchased)
Stock ls7 intake
92mm ported drive by cable tb
4l80 trans, ( no converter yet)
1 7/8 headers
Btw spring kit, and a custom ground cam

Here is where I get fuzzy, does the gm set up let me run my drive by cable tb?

Will the Gm kit be as tunable as the holley?

I'm looking to save as much as I can, please advise me, and let me know if I gave enough info,,,, be kind,, I need the help
Old 02-25-2015, 10:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The GM kit is DBW and will not work with DBC. It will also not control your 4l80 but the holley you listed wont either.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:08 AM
Teching In

Thanks, the dbc tb I grabbed before planning my computer and harness, will the holley run my dbc set up? As far as the 4l80,, it might be full manual as of now, any more advice on which route to take would be appreciated, thanks again
Old 02-26-2015, 06:48 AM
FormerVendor

The holley will run dbc, if you want it to run the 4l80 you need the dominator setup.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Teching In

thanks for the info,,, looks like I need to step up!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,490 Likes on 930 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The Dominator will also do your DBW throttle body.

Andrew
Old 02-26-2015, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

It's an actual ls7 with a dbc tb swapped on it? Could you just put a DBW tb on it like is recommended in the kit? There are standalone 4l80e controllers as well if you wanted to go that route. The Holley dominator is a nice setup as I had one on my 66 Impala with a 4l80e. Plan on spending around $3k going that route. Just throwing a few more options out there.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

I just seen you have a custom ground cam so the gm ecu will need reprogramming as well. Personally I would go with the Holley.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds pretty close to the install on my Cobra I am in the process of doing. I have a manual though instead of an auto. I am going with the Holley HP. Seems like the best bet around to start. If I need more later, I can probably sell it for close to what I paid and go to the Dominator.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Default cam

It is a actual ls7, I got it as a long block, but with the intake, it is also a custom ground compcam, I already had the 92 mm tbs that is ported and is dbc, but then I saw a complete gm harness and ecu, with o2's and Maf and it comes with the dbw pedal, was only 1100 bucks new,,,,so I thought ,, this would save some big money, had no idea it did not control the trans,,but trans might be full manual,
I have fuel rails, injectors, New oil pump and pan, everything to bolt motor in my Chevelle, is this a tunable ecu?? I know I should be more knowledgeable on this, but I'm still learning as I go,,,I will get the right electronic set up for the car,,,, but the gm system will mean I'm on the road this summer, 3k for the holley would kill my budget till next fall. Should I just get a dbw tb? I have one I can get cheap, but it's 90mm, I know it's not that big of a deal, but I'm just trying to do it right the first time. I know it needs to be tuned anyway, is the Gm kit up to the task? Can a reputable shop tune it, or am I being too cheap?
Thanks for the info, please keep it coming, I'm 48, this is my high school car, we have big history, I'm trying to be smart. ( not too cheap) even though I need to be frugal.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dinoindetroit
It is a actual ls7, I got it as a long block, but with the intake, it is also a custom ground compcam, I already had the 92 mm tbs that is ported and is dbc, but then I saw a complete gm harness and ecu, with o2's and Maf and it comes with the dbw pedal, was only 1100 bucks new,,,,so I thought ,, this would save some big money, had no idea it did not control the trans,,but trans might be full manual,
I have fuel rails, injectors, New oil pump and pan, everything to bolt motor in my Chevelle, is this a tunable ecu?? I know I should be more knowledgeable on this, but I'm still learning as I go,,,I will get the right electronic set up for the car,,,, but the gm system will mean I'm on the road this summer, 3k for the holley would kill my budget till next fall. Should I just get a dbw tb? I have one I can get cheap, but it's 90mm, I know it's not that big of a deal, but I'm just trying to do it right the first time. I know it needs to be tuned anyway, is the Gm kit up to the task? Can a reputable shop tune it, or am I being too cheap?
Thanks for the info, please keep it coming, I'm 48, this is my high school car, we have big history, I'm trying to be smart. ( not too cheap) even though I need to be frugal.
I do not understand. You already have a DBC throttle body. Just buy the Holley HP for $1400-$1600 and hook it up. The Holley Dominator will allow you to use DBW, but it is a lot more money. Do you want tot switch to DBW? If so, then you would have to get a throttle body and the computer set-up.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Teching In

I was Hoping to save the couple hundred bucks (about $700 when you throw in the o2's and Maf) and use the Gm kit, but it won't do the dbc tb, just wondering if I am better off buying a dbw tb and going that route with the Gm set up, all in it looks like I'm saving enough by buying the Gm kit to get my headers, with out buying sensors separately.
Does the holley hp come with the sensors, I looked on jegs and summit, it does not look like it does.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dinoindetroit
I was Hoping to save the couple hundred bucks (about $700 when you throw in the o2's and Maf) and use the Gm kit, but it won't do the dbc tb, just wondering if I am better off buying a dbw tb and going that route with the Gm set up, all in it looks like I'm saving enough by buying the Gm kit to get my headers, with out buying sensors separately.
Does the holley hp come with the sensors, I looked on jegs and summit, it does not look like it does.
holley does not come with sensors
Old 03-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Thanks brother, that what it looked like,
Old 03-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Sent ya a pm lsx
Old 03-09-2015, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joyridin'
I do not understand. You already have a DBC throttle body. Just buy the Holley HP for $1400-$1600 and hook it up. The Holley Dominator will allow you to use DBW, but it is a lot more money. Do you want tot switch to DBW? If so, then you would have to get a throttle body and the computer set-up.
The reason for the dominator over the HP is because the OP is running a 4l80e which the HP will not control. Then he also has the option to run DBW if he wants.

Quick Reply: which pcm is best for me, holley, gm performance