PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor gas mileage/SES light always on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor gas mileage/SES light always on?

Hello all, I'm having a little problem with my camaro. Since I bought it the SES light has always been on. I also only get around 18-20 mpg on the highway with casual driving. Previous owner got an after market exhaust installed but never got the o2 sensor reinstalled/welded in. Could this be a problem? Car running too rich? It's funny because I took my old 83 z28 5 speed on the same trip and got almost 30 mpg with its old worn out 305.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Or could it just be because of the 10" wide tires in the back?
Old 05-30-2015, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MajeSStic_
Or could it just be because of the 10" wide tires in the back?

what year

a4 or m6?

o2's is part of it
Old 05-30-2015, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Uziguy18
what year

a4 or m6?

o2's is part of it
1999 SS

M6

Car only has 72,500 miles on it.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello all, I'm having a little problem with my camaro. Since I bought it the SES light has always been on. I also only get around 18-20 mpg on the highway with casual driving. Previous owner got an after market exhaust installed but never got the o2 sensor reinstalled/welded in. Could this be a problem? Car running too rich? It's funny because I took my old 83 z28 5 speed on the same trip and got almost 30 mpg with its old worn out 305.
Yes, most likely this is the problem.
What codes?
Old 05-31-2015, 11:34 AM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

When you say "but never got the o2 sensor reinstalled/welded in" are you referring to the front or rear O2 sensors?
The front are critical, the rears do nothing other than fault when the cats are worn out.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mrvedit
When you say "but never got the o2 sensor reinstalled/welded in" are you referring to the front or rear O2 sensors?
The front are critical, the rears do nothing other than fault when the cats are worn out.
We crawled up under it and found two plugged in on the passenger side. One up high and one a little farther down. Are there supposed to be two more on the drivers side?
Old 06-01-2015, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We crawled up under it and found two plugged in on the passenger side. One up high and one a little farther down. Are there supposed to be two more on the drivers side?
There are 4 sensors, 2 on each side. The two closer to the engine are the ones you need. The ones closest to the rear of the car do nothing but check the cats. To run closed loop, you need at least the O2 sensors that are closer to the engine. If you have cats and want to monitor them, put the other 2 in.

Look under the engine for the front O2 sensor connection. The ones, I believe they are under or beside the transmission are the ones for the cats. If the harness for the front will not reach, you will need to get extensions.

So basically, you need one on each side and they should connect to the connectors coming out from under the engine.

Post a picture if you can.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1slowbusa
There are 4 sensors, 2 on each side. The two closer to the engine are the ones you need. The ones closest to the rear of the car do nothing but check the cats. To run closed loop, you need at least the O2 sensors that are closer to the engine. If you have cats and want to monitor them, put the other 2 in.

Look under the engine for the front O2 sensor connection. The ones, I believe they are under or beside the transmission are the ones for the cats. If the harness for the front will not reach, you will need to get extensions.

So basically, you need one on each side and they should connect to the connectors coming out from under the engine.

Post a picture if you can.
Thats what I thought. But I didnt see any on the drivers side. Ill crawl back under it and try and get some pictures today in between rain drops.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

Excellent explanation by 1slowbusa.
There should be and absolutely need to be an O2 sensors on each side of the engine.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Excellent explanation by 1slowbusa.
There should be and absolutely need to be an O2 sensors on each side of the engine.
I'll try and get some pics when it stops pouring with rain.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why don't you go and find out what the code is (most places do it for free). Unless you're good at diagnosing things by looking at them (which you might be here with the o2s) that's usually the easiest way to start looking for the problem.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redtan
Why don't you go and find out what the code is (most places do it for free). Unless you're good at diagnosing things by looking at them (which you might be here with the o2s) that's usually the easiest way to start looking for the problem.
I plugged my tuner in to see if it would give me a code and it never did. We set everything back to stock and the light went off. I had a pen out to right down the code but didn't need it lol. I will probably take it somewhere when I go get a couple clutch parts and get them to see if there's a code.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Upper o2 sensor

Lower o2 sensor
I was able to locate both upper and lower sensors on the drivers side and both appear to be plugged in. Now I'm at a loss.

Quick Reply: Poor gas mileage/SES light always on?