Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pay for tune or buy hptuners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pay for tune or buy hptuners?

Hey guys, Im finally just about finsihed with my car. Im almost ready to get it tuned. I did an m6 to a4 conversion, 4500 stall, 228r cam, headers etc. I know the basics of tuning, but have never tried using tuning software. My experience is limited to carbs and dizzys.

I know Im more than capable of learning to tune, but im concerned that It wont ever reach its full potential if i tune it myself. What is you guys experience? Do you regret buying HP tuners?

Im at the point of paying $500 to have it tuned by Ed Hutchins or pay $600 for HP Tuners and would also need a wideband.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

What I like about tuning is you can always tweak things. Maybe you could dl a tune close enough for your mods and tweak from there. On the other hand there is nothing like experience when it comes to tuning.

I'm thinking about buying HPT just to tune my trans. That way
I get what I want. Cool thing about HPT you can always turn around and sell for close to what you paid for it. Well worth its cost IMO.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 09-10-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live close to you and decided to go the route of buying my own copy of hptuners. I think its well worth it even of you do have to pay for a tune. I tweak mine all the time and use it at the track extensively. If you want help when you get it, I'm free most weekends.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

I've made my decision.. I'm buying hp tuners. Where do you guys purchase from, straight from hp tuners? Looks like I should get the pro correct?
Old 09-11-2015, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

I bought mine off the classifieds here. If you have an egr car with egr removed, you can hook up a wide and through it.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:52 PM
12 Second Club

get the pro it has a higher sampling rate as well as being able to put inputs into your data stream.

I bought 1 interface from zz performance and one from hpt direct , the zzp interface showed up in days hpt was weeks - buy it from someone who has it in stock and is in retail sales as their primary business , the price is fixed so generally no savings one place over the other but I have seen resellers offer "perks" with a purchase you will not see that with hpt.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by murphinator
get the pro it has a higher sampling rate as well as being able to put inputs into your data stream.
That's not accurate. The only advantage of pro if the ability to directly log external inputs.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Is the pro worth the extra 150?
Old 09-12-2015, 08:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Snap-On
It is if your a professional tuner or can't find a way to feed wideband data another way.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, worth the 150 IMO. With the standard you can log your wideband through egr, ac or another wire BUT 99% of the time I do a remote tune when someone is doing that they have issues. The setup is what takes so long and what gets people most of the time. Once its set up and configured right it works but with the pro you simplify the process and don't have to tap into your harness to make it log.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

definitely worth the $150. I wish I went that way from the beginning. If you decide to upgrade later it cost $289.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Regardless if your capable of learning or not If you don't know what your doing(now) leave it to the pro's.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Regardless if your capable of learning or not If you don't know what your doing(now) leave it to the pro's.
You can't learn if you never try.. I didn't learn to build transmissions by letting the "pros" do it for me. Just e food for thought.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

You can't learn if you never try.. I didn't learn to build transmissions by letting the "pros" do it for me. Just e food for thought.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

I paid someone to tune the car my first go around....I'm currently working on redoing the tune now, plus I have 2 other cars so for me it was really worth it as there are no competent tuners in my area. So I figured I can learn. By the time I pay dyno time plus a tune and gas to get to a shop i could have bought the software a long time ago. Not to mention I paid 3 different people to tune the car and it wasnt right...

There is so much you can do once you understand the software, I got a chance to look at the tuning school documentation that is available as well. Personally that is worth the money if you want to do it right.

another advantage of the PRO that no one is mentioned is the black box logging feature. The ability to record a scan log without the laptop is an added bonus. The scan logs offer a very comprehensive look at what you car is doing with all the functionality of some of the higher end scanners on the market ant 1/4 of the price.....

If you are at all interested in learning to do it yourself its worth it honestly
Old 09-25-2015, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

I decided to buy hptuners pro.. as soon as my converter gets here i can start tuning! Now to buy a wideband...
Old 09-26-2015, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
I paid someone to tune the car my first go around....I'm currently working on redoing the tune now, plus I have 2 other cars so for me it was really worth it as there are no competent tuners in my area. So I figured I can learn. By the time I pay dyno time plus a tune and gas to get to a shop i could have bought the software a long time ago. Not to mention I paid 3 different people to tune the car and it wasnt right...

There is so much you can do once you understand the software, I got a chance to look at the tuning school documentation that is available as well. Personally that is worth the money if you want to do it right.

another advantage of the PRO that no one is mentioned is the black box logging feature. The ability to record a scan log without the laptop is an added bonus. The scan logs offer a very comprehensive look at what you car is doing with all the functionality of some of the higher end scanners on the market ant 1/4 of the price.....

If you are at all interested in learning to do it yourself its worth it honestly
I can relate..i just recently paid for a dyno tune ..and while it runs "better" ..as far as not stalling going it to gear and less KR/detonation..it still isn't where it should be imo

I have the older HP tuner for my 98 Camaro...will the new and improved version of HP tuners record with out a lap top ? from what I understand you can real time tune with 98 pcm?.. plus just couldn't get it to recognize the wideband
Old 10-02-2015, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Lm1 or lc1 wideband? What are the easiest to tune with for hp tuners? Do you guys use 2? Sorry for the newb questions I am in the same boat with my swap. I have 2 Ls cars and a third if I swap my bel air so I am trying to get as much info as possible
Thanks
Old 10-03-2015, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I suppose it depends upon how picky you are on the cars post-tune behavior. If something isn't right then you need to keep going back and forth to the pro tuner. There are multiple ways to skin a cat, and different tuners can have slightly different methods to reach the same end goal. At some point the pro tuner may blame it on parts selection and/or false expectations from the owner, instead of the tune.

If you choose to buy any tuning solution and a wideband, then you have the capability to make the changes yourself but without training from others or going to classes it could still be frustrating knocking out the issues. Unfortunately some pros are not as forthcoming on how to work around certain symptoms (either because they don't want to admit they don't know or they don't want to lose business). I'm at the point where if a pro does it, it needs to be a combination of load-bearing tuning using the correct chassis weight (including driver) and street tuning. If you can leave the car with the pro tuner for a few days or a week that is helpful, but potentially more costly.

I happen to use HPT Pro with the original NGK AFX. No real time tuning with the 98's with HPT. The Pro unit can accept a log config, then you can log without the laptop. But you need to download the logs from the adapter to a computer with HPT Scanner to interpret them.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Tune yourself and never look back. I'd wager the ratio of hacks to true pro tuners out there is much higher than imagined.

Quick Reply: pay for tune or buy hptuners?