Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bank 1 running completely rich

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
That is an odd combination running a LS2 E40 PCM with a 03 5.3L FF. Guessing it was tuned for the 5.3L? There are definately some things that are going to be mismatched.
That is something I have no clue on. Can you set how one bank is fueled in a tune? I have no clue what is on the computer. Ill call the company in the morning and see what they have flashed on it.

The ls2 is used because it "communicates" with my cluster the best. Which everything worked until I got the U codes then the speedo went crazy
Old 03-01-2017, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Did you by any chance have the coil harnesses off the motor? If so, one of them could be 'flipped' and firing out of order.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:15 PM
Teching In

So I finally had the time to get the thing on a "legit" scanner to see what data she was giving me.

First, the MAF sensor was running really high 10 (whatever the unit was)

Driver side O2 sensor was not reading.

The fuel trim was running rich, and was miss firing on all of the cylinders, except when above like 2500. The truck was not entering close loop also, so still more trouble shooting. But at least I kind of know what is going on.

Is their like a china version of a scanner that can be plugged into a computer to get data like that? That would be so nice to have with this fuel injection truck. I have been using carbs on every project car I owned. All of this stuff is new to me.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Have you switched 02 sensors yet?

You can get a bluetooth scanner and run the torque app on your phone. I have this one
Amazon Amazon

3 grounds attached to the back left cylinder head? I broke a wire at the eyelet and caused a bunch of ****.

Fuel pressure ok?

Where are you located?
Old 03-07-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by flyer123
So I finally had the time to get the thing on a "legit" scanner to see what data she was giving me.

First, the MAF sensor was running really high 10 (whatever the unit was)

Driver side O2 sensor was not reading.

The fuel trim was running rich, and was miss firing on all of the cylinders, except when above like 2500. The truck was not entering close loop also, so still more trouble shooting. But at least I kind of know what is going on.

Is their like a china version of a scanner that can be plugged into a computer to get data like that? That would be so nice to have with this fuel injection truck. I have been using carbs on every project car I owned. All of this stuff is new to me.
is there any chance you can get the actual mV readings off the oxygen sensors? if the driver side mV readings are persistently in the 100 mV range, it's likely a bad sensor. That'll cause the ECU to dump fuel.

"But wait - I was still in open loop" you say? Thats where the long term fuel trims are "helping" you. They are there so the ECU can store long-term persistent fuel adjustments. If your LTFT are already super high, they are added to the fuel calculations even at open loop.

Went through this on my daughter's camaro. Driver side O2 sensor readings in the toilet. Never showed a code - until it started counting misfires. Once I saw the mV readings, I swapped out the O2 sensor, wire-brushed the plugs, restarted the car. Immediately saw the readings were better. Once it went into closed loop, the short term trims went very negative. Followed by the long term trims going back toward zero, followed byt he short term trims bouncing areound near zero.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by travisn
Have you switched 02 sensors yet?

You can get a bluetooth scanner and run the torque app on your phone. I have this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 grounds attached to the back left cylinder head? I broke a wire at the eyelet and caused a bunch of ****.

Fuel pressure ok?

Where are you located?
I am in Orlando Florida, and i only have one per the swap harness. But i have three at the front of the block. I have switched the o2 sensors. I still got the lean condition on the driver side bank. Strange to see why it is doing this, and sucks that i dont have a scan tool to read what i need. ill look into getting what you have. would be really nice to have!

EDIT: I ordered it and it should be here tomorrow. Hopefully i can then read some data and report back my findings.

Last edited by flyer123; 03-07-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

I just went through this same damn problem with mine, insufficient switching code for bank 2. Im on a stand alone harness for my 414. ECM was reading lean and ramping up bank 2 injector pulse to compensate but the o2 would never read rich. I traced wires and was about to put a 99 ECM in it and repin my harness (98 ecm car). Then I decided to check my damn o2 fuses on the stand alone harness and it had a blown fuse. wasnt sure what it was tied to. until I ran the car and did a scan log went back to switching like its supposed to. Before even in open loop it would only read .389 mV. Course at this point my gas is bad and I need new plugs.

Went through all of this over the past year and a half only to find it was something really stupid simple. For the record if this was the issue if the car is driven long enough to build up some heat in the O2 sensor it would eventually start to read correctly but even in open loop it would take a while.

I also did do an extra ground strap on mine from the chassis to the block

Quick Reply: Bank 1 running completely rich