Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

n2o and n/a tuning....

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n2o and n/a tuning....

ok guys.pretty soon im going to a TNT F2 nitrous system.and over time ill end up going to a BIG shot.also ill end up doing a LOT more mods. now,im looking into running an AutoTap, or EFI-live(or similar)....what all do i need to make this happen? obviously i need a laptop,right?also how hard is it to get my head into this kind of tuning?im an electrician(for 7 yrs now),so i figure i have a pretty good deal of common sense.but is this easy stuff to catch on to? what are my bare minimum requirements to make this happen.thanks guys...from a tuning newb.

Also i did some searching and it looks like HPtuners is the way to go.

Last edited by '02SS; 12-04-2004 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

any1?
Old 12-05-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bare Minimums: Need a laptop (I run an old IBM Thinkpad 350Mhz laptop as my primary logging and tune on the fly laptop)

Then you need a scanner and tuning solution... HPT (HP Tuners) is available now and is the by far the best solution available .. for the 499 you get 2 vehicle types (year and model locked not vin locked) , the scanner includes bidirectional controls (so you can change certain items on the fly in realtime via the laptop)

Tuning can seem difficult at first... but it just takes time... describing how to tune is hard... easier to ask specific questions ... but basically from what I've found... you want to run as much timing as you can before knock (find the knock point and then go a couple degrees below) and you want to run as lean as is safe (lean = power.. but too lean = blown up ****) ... I would suggest downloading the HP Tuners (www.hptuners.com) help file from their website and looking through it... last time I printed it it was 36 pages or so I think... but gives you an excellent idea on what is available to modify in the PCM

As for N20 (kudos for using the correct abbreviation ... lots seem to refer to it as NO2 for some reason .. 2/3s Oxygen would be nice.. but Nitrous Oxide is only 1/3 Oxygen) i've heard for every 50 horsepower pull back 1-2 (2 safer) degrees of timing (I haven't been keeping up on the nitrous stuff... need to get my car running right on motor first)

Also don't fret about the lack of responses... it's a saturday night (well now sunday morning) so not alot of people browsing this section heh .. i'm sure others will respond with insight/feedback
Old 12-05-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks a lot bro.yeah i registered with HPT and it seems great.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah im looking at a cheap refurb laptop,to get me rolling.anyone else?
Old 12-05-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

I though it was all NOS? Just kidding.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

anyone else think HPtuners is atop the mountain?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

HP tuner is the best ! it offers everything you need in one package. I purchased it when it first became available and the more I learn about tuning the more I realize that HP tuners in the best program out there.

tuning is a process, but take your time, and you will have a great performing ride ! Plus if your using N2O, then you can cange from an NA tune to a N2O tune in a matter of seconds

Last edited by currentman; 12-06-2004 at 01:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-06-2004, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have always wondered.

People that run nitrous on the street. Do they just run a nitrous/rich tune all the time or is there some other trick that people use?
Old 12-06-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I have always wondered.

People that run nitrous on the street. Do they just run a nitrous/rich tune all the time or is there some other trick that people use?
Couple ways around it... what I used to do is set my IAT Correction timing such that at cold temps it'd pull alot more timing (Since I don't drive the car in the winter, it would give me max timing for normal driving @ WOT but would also drop my timing on the gun) Of course this was when I was running LS1 Edit and it'd take 5 minutes + to flasht he PCM (all the while hoping the car will start when done) now w/HP Tuners I'll just spend the 30 seconds loading a nitrous tune heh

I would rely on the stock tables for fueling (I was running a dry kit, didn't have WB or anything at that time though)

for a small dry shot (100 or less) the stock tables are prolly fine for fueling (I'd still pull timing out but lots don't even do that) ... for a wet shot or direct port you can control fueling w/the jets so no need to touch the PCM for fueling
Old 12-07-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah how fast can you change a tune? can you have it saved and pull it from a folder and load it? is it that easy?
Old 12-07-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by '02SS
yeah how fast can you change a tune? can you have it saved and pull it from a folder and load it? is it that easy?
Takes about 27 seconds for me to put a new tune in my car ...
Old 12-07-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by horist
Takes about 27 seconds for me to put a new tune in my car ...

so is it quick enough, that if you pull up to a lil '04 Stang,you can flip the tune quick enough to smoke his ***!lol! i also have a timing tuner...so i just basically have to see if my AFR is good and check for KR.