PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning w/ cats vs. no cats (AFR?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning w/ cats vs. no cats (AFR?)

Had some problems with the LM-1 wideband and an heating the sensor too much to get an accurate reading. This was placed right in front of the DS cat. Tried pretty much everything, but I guess its just too close to the engine. What I was thinking to doing was replacing the catted H-pipe with an off-road H-pipe for tuning, and move the sensor back a bit. Everyday may be a bit too loud with the stingers and no cats to leave the off-road pipe on.

The question is, how far off would the AFR be between cats and no cats. Not sure how much the off road pipe will richen or lean it out.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-21-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a post on the aussie ls1 board about this... if I recall the results were nearly identical pre and post cat ...

The sensor needs to heat up hotter than the exhaust stream AFAIK ... so having the sensor too close to the motor shouldn't be an issue...

Did you drive the car around alot w/the sensor installed but the LM-1 box not turned on? I did this and it carboned up a sensor on me
Old 01-22-2005, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Had some problems with the LM-1 wideband and an heating the sensor too much to get an accurate reading.
How did you determine that the sensor was getting too hot? Does the sensor still read "AIR" or "LEAN" (Can't remember what the LM1 says) when taken out of the exhaust?
Old 01-22-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replys...

Horist,
I never had the sensor in without having it powered. I would put it in when planning to do some tuning and then remove it.

Pknowles,
It would read pretty well when it was first installed, but after some driving the afr would slowly climb untill reaching somewhere around 35:1. I then made up a copper heatsink. This was a little better, but it still did the same thing... just took longer. Talked to someone from innovative and they said that the sensor was too close to the engine.

The reason I'm looking at tuning with the off-road is to be able to move the sensor location much further back.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:16 AM
10 Second Club

in talking with larry at macedo motorsports, he did a little test. he did a dyno with wideband out back then up by motor. there was a .5 richer when it was closer to the motor. this was on one of the vipers he did.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mrr23
in talking with larry at macedo motorsports, he did a little test. he did a dyno with wideband out back then up by motor. there was a .5 richer when it was closer to the motor. this was on one of the vipers he did.
Do you know if cats were on the car? And If so, was the one closer to the engine upstream of the cat?

Mike
Old 01-25-2005, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I see in your sig that you have an supercharger, now I can believe that the sensor is getting to hot.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pknowles
I see in your sig that you have an supercharger, now I can believe that the sensor is getting to hot.

i think hes running nitrous now
Old 01-26-2005, 07:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would have to say your sensor might be screwy...have you been preheating it and all? How old is the sensor?
Old 01-26-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by foff667
i would have to say your sensor might be screwy...have you been preheating it and all? How old is the sensor?
Thanks...

Preheating? I was just powering up the unit right before I would start the engine. And yes, I'm running N20 instead of the ATI

I think what I'll do just to test it out, is install it in a rear o2 bung. The afr may be off, but I just want to see if it maintains a steady afr without climbing to 35:1 like it has in the past when it was much closer to the engine. If everything stays steady, its probably not the sensor.

Mike