Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFIlive or HP Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EFIlive or HP Tuner

I thought I had my mind made up on which tuning package to get but now I have no idea.I was looking at Hp tuner but I just read and artical on EFIlive V7 Flashscan and no I'm up in the air.I"m looking for some advice from people who have used either and your expirience.What would you recommend?What is easier to use.I have never tuned before and am trying to prepare myself.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only used HP Tuners, but am happy with it. The scanner melds perfectly w/the tuning software, the EIO interface allows to easily see where you're running lean or rich at WOT (assuming you have a wideband sensor)

I've used it for almost a year now on both my TA and my GTP. HPT currently has several add-ons as well such as EIO (enhanced input/output, gives you the ability to have 4 inputs and 2 outputs that can activate external circuits based on the scanner settings), they have a custom 2 and 3 bar Speed Density solution (actually modifying GM's source code) as well as a 1 bar enhanced mode. Version 2.0 of the software is coming out soon. Also the licensing scheme is such that you get 2 licenses with purchase but they can be used on any car supported by HPT ... meaning if you buy a 98 license and say a 2000 F-body license... you can use your cable to tune any 1998 or any 2000 F-Body .... (so if you had 100 friends w/98s you could change setting for all of them)

If you've never done any tuning before then any software is going to seem difficult... the HPT software is laid out pretty well right now I think... but the 2.0 release that's coming out soon is even better

The key thing is to understand it takes time... using a tuner package isn't like using an HPP3 or Predator where it's "yes" "no" "higher" "lower"

You can view HP Tuners manual on their website under the products page, it's long (125 pages last time I checked) but goes over the misc tables... regardless of the tuning solution you choose though, keep in mind it's going to take alot of time... don't expect to spend an evening reading the help files and message boards and being able to dial your car in 100% ... but in the end it's worth it... when you have a car that is streetable... excellent part throttle driveabilty and perfect WOT mixture ...
Old 02-17-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98cobrakillata
I thought I had my mind made up on which tuning package to get but now I have no idea.I was looking at Hp tuner but I just read and artical on EFIlive V7 Flashscan and no I'm up in the air.I"m looking for some advice from people who have used either and your expirience.What would you recommend?What is easier to use.I have never tuned before and am trying to prepare myself.
What article did you read???
Old 02-17-2005, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Gm High-Tech Performance April 05 issue.
The artical is called In a Flash, flashscanning the ls1, putting EFIlive V7 to the test.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:02 PM

I just read the article and I have FlashScan. I agree with the article in that FlashScan is easy to use, fast, versatile, has a great interface and is very powerful!

John
Old 02-17-2005, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

My car was tuned with LS1edit with the mods in my sig minus the macs/ y w/cats, (I had edelbrock shorties w/ slp y and cats. when it was tuned) Well the edelbrocks had leak so the tune was done the best it could by the shop.I had idle issues in the winter and still do.I have now changed out the **** edelbrocks that are barely 1 5/8" (more like 1 1/2")to the macs 1 3/4".

Ok here is my question with the mods in my sig will it be hard to finish tuning.Will I have to start all over?

I'm ok with computers and math an stuff but in my case what tuning stuff would be better?I'm trying to save $$ on having a shop tune every time I mod.So that why I'm looking at hpt and flashscan, basically I want to know what is the BEST.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

My car was tuned with LS1edit with the mods in my sig minus the macs/ y w/cats, (I had edelbrock shorties w/ slp y and cats. when it was tuned) Well the edelbrocks had leak so the tune was done the best it could by the shop.I had idle issues in the winter and still do.I have now changed out the **** edelbrocks that are barely 1 5/8" (more like 1 1/2")to the macs 1 3/4".

Ok here is my question with the mods in my sig will it be hard to finish tuning.Will I have to start all over?

I'm ok with computers and math an stuff but in my case what tuning stuff would be better?I'm trying to save $$ on having a shop tune every time I mod.So that why I'm looking at hpt and flashscan, basically I want to know what is the BEST.

Should be able to just download your existing tune and then modify it w/out a problem... I've got a bunch of HP Tuners .bin files on my site that can be used for comparison also

HP Tuners 2.0 is coming out soon , I've seen a few screenshots of it... and I'm liking what I'm seeing ... HP Tuners also supports V6 cars, will have LS2 support soon. They've been the first for many important features of a tuner package (first to offer combination tuner and scanner, first to offer inputs and outputs, first to offer true 2 and 3 bar support (they're modifying the OS , not tricking the computer), they've been first for many innovations for LSX tuning (as well as V6 tuning but that's a different subject))
Old 02-17-2005, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Horist
Now that is the kind of Info/opinion I'm looking for.You got me thinking Hpt again as I have been for while, but still dont know both look so appealing.When does the new version hpt come out?My gears get changed this week and My speedo will need to be adjusted.Thats why I'm looking now.I guess I could wait for the newer hpt to come out, and have my shop change the gear ratio in the pcm for now.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Horist
When does the new version hpt come out?My gears get changed this week and My speedo will need to be adjusted.Thats why I'm looking now.I guess I could wait for the newer hpt to come out, and have my shop change the gear ratio in the pcm for now.

I'm not sure when 2.0 comes out, 1.6.x is still production, but I've been assured that anyone purchasing HPT now will get the 2.0 upgrade free (as well as any 2.x upgrades) ... bug fixes are also always free.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Horist is this true?

Also the licensing scheme is such that you get 2 licenses with purchase but they can be used on any car supported by HPT ... meaning if you buy a 98 license and say a 2000 F-body license... you can use your cable to tune any 1998 or any 2000 F-Body .... (so if you had 100 friends w/98s you could change setting for all of them)
SO what this is saying is, that if I get HPT for my 02 Z, it will be locked to my 02 Z, but my 2nd license is for 2000 model cars, I could tune any and as many 2000 cars I want without being locked???
Please help me understand this.

Last edited by SAPPER; 02-18-2005 at 04:43 AM.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

You can tune as many cars as you select for the two options. i.e.-if you selected 2002 and 2000 F-Body you could tune both of those year F-Body cars with no restrictions. The other software (cables) out there lock to the VIN of your car and it is to bad so sad if you change cars or a friend needs a tweek or two.

Since 2.0 will now be a free upgrade for sure I will be getting 1.6 soon. I will be picking up my new 12-bolt from Moser toady. At least they said it should be ready by 2 this afternoon. Doing a tranny rebuild, clutch install, springs, shocks, sway bars, LCA's, and brakes also. Then it is going to be supercharger time for me! Cant wait either. Oops went off subject.

My vote is for HPTuner and that is what I will be purchasing.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:06 AM
Teching In

I have both LS1edit , HPtuners and Flashscan - for me flashscan is really good , havent seen HPT v2 yet but ti would need to be a lot better than V1.6 to impress me.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:36 AM
TECH Junkie

I have Flashscan, and I have not used HPT. I think Flashscan is badass. Very intutitive, great customer support, yadi yadi yadi....

Both softwares are top notch. Both have features the other does & doesn't. Both will continue to evolve and only get better with time.

Originally Posted by horist
If you've never done any tuning before then any software is going to seem difficult... the HPT software is laid out pretty well right now I think... but the 2.0 release that's coming out soon is even better

The key thing is to understand it takes time... using a tuner package isn't like using an HPP3 or Predator where it's "yes" "no" "higher" "lower"
Horrist is right.

Unless you have the money to buy both so you can decide which one works best for you, I'd say flip a quarter, to decide. Either way you can't go wrong.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have HPT and love it. I haven't used Flashscan but I did download and try out their demo. I don't see anything that would make me leave HPT for Flashscan and who knows what HPT 2.0 will be like.

I will add that HPT has their own forum that the owners are very active on, answer question almost faster than you can type them and are also LS1Tech sponsors. For me, I'd like to spend my money with a company that puts some money back into the sport and helps keeps boards like this alive. HPT owners are also very active racers so they know first hand what a tuning solution should offer and they continuely strive to deliver the best product out there.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Windy City
I have HPT and love it. I haven't used Flashscan but I did download and try out their demo. I don't see anything that would make me leave HPT for Flashscan and who knows what HPT 2.0 will be like.

I will add that HPT has their own forum that the owners are very active on, answer question almost faster than you can type them and are also LS1Tech sponsors. For me, I'd like to spend my money with a company that puts some money back into the sport and helps keeps boards like this alive. HPT owners are also very active racers so they know first hand what a tuning solution should offer and they continuely strive to deliver the best product out there.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Windy City
I will add that HPT has their own forum that the owners are very active on, answer question almost faster than you can type them.
EFILive / FlashScan also has their own forum. Why did you think they did not?

I would love to try out HPT. Where can I download a demo?

John
Old 02-18-2005, 10:35 AM
FormerVendor

Differences between the two softwares include

-HPT- Unlimited tuning of selected vehicles.
-HPT - Pro version allows reflash of full os and calibratons
-HPT - Cable incorporates outputs with logic attached (kr lights, shift light etc). Laptp still needs tobe present
-HPT - 99 to renew upgrade subscripitons. 2.0 isnt free for me since i subscription has expired.

-Flash Scan - Free Upgrades for the life of the product (hopefully this implies the customer gets any OS mods (eg 2/3 bar map, valet tune etc) for free. If this is the case all your frineds would have SD tuning for a cost of 99.00 per veicle added
-Flashscan- Robust scanner allows more than 24 pids to be selected and the scanner is fully customizable
-Flashscan - Black box logging. Cable logs 25 minutes of data which can be later downloaded for viewing. No more laptop to ride around with.
-Flashscan 99 to add other vehicles and 98's are FREE

If i think of anymore i will add them. Buy what best suits your needs and be happy with the purchase both are very capable of doing what is needed for the vehicle.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:25 AM

-HPT - Fixed Maps such as KR vs RPM/grams per cyl
-Flashscan - Fully customizable Maps. Any logged data vs any logged data.

-HPT – Serial interface
-Flashscan - USB interface

Does HPT support bidirectional control (“change on the fly”) of idle, AFR, timing, etc, and transmission control?

Last edited by JNorris; 02-18-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JNorris

Does HPT support bidirectional control (“change on the fly”) of idle, AFR, timing, etc, and transmission control?

Yes, it has since 1.4 or 1.5

Turn MIL on off
Turn Shift light on/off (depends on car)
AC Clutch on off
Purge solenoid on off
Vent solenoid on off
Air Pump on off
Air Solenoid on off
Fan low on off
Fan high on off
Cruise inhibit on off
EGR PWM
Boost control PWM

TCC Solenoid on off
TCC PWM 100%, 0% or user defined
Force Motor milliamps
A4 gear selection
1-2 shift solenoid on off
2-3 shift solenoid on off
CAGS(M6)/3-2 Sol (A4) on off
Reverse lockout

Closed loop on off
Fuel Trim learn on off, or reset
Fuel pump on off
Forced AFR control (user defined)
Spark control absolute, plus or minus
Spark Idle control Bypass or normal operation

Idle control
Case Learn
Old 02-18-2005, 11:43 AM

Thanks Mike.

Does HPT have a demo that can be downloaded?

Thanks

John