Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP, vs. EFI Live, vs. Edit

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default HP, vs. EFI Live, vs. Edit

Can anyone that has experiences with two of the three (or all three) express the likes and dislikes and where each software excels? Really would like some input here as too goods, bads, limitations etc.

J-
Old 03-07-2005, 09:37 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just recently tuned a couple cars with flashscan (EFI Live's tuner). Very nice setup, scanner is great, tuner software has a couple small things that annoy me a little but its more because I am used to using LS1edit for a few years and some functions are a little different. The 'black box' record is nice, just push a button on the little cable thingy and it records, that will be nice at the track instead of having the laptop in the car. Plus it has a EGT and wideband input + is USB - pretty decent setup.

Bad thing is it doesnt supprt 98s right now, of course I just bought a 98 I have never used HP tuners but I have used LS1edit since day one. Edit works, but you cant beat not having to switch the cable and getting up to 25 licenses by e-mail is nice. Even though with HP tuners you can do an entire model year (single vehicle type though) for what I do having an extra license available at all times five minutes away over the internet for a C5/Fbody or truck is always handy.

But HP tuners has the 2 bar thing which is nice, never tried their software so cant comment on it but people seem to be happy with it and the abilty to tune the same year/model would be great if you have a few friends with the same year car.. I only tune ~20 cars a year so I went with flashscan because I like the license structure, plus I always liked the EFIlive scanner. Tough decision with more then one product out there nowadays
Old 03-07-2005, 10:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both and love the Live scanner a little more as I find it very intuitive. I dont have to fox around with excel anymore because I can build my own custom maps with Live.

HPtuners gets credit with their licensing scheme since you can tune for the whole year of the vehicles you have support for. Their scanner is basic and could proly stand a little more work (which will be take care of in their v 2.0 release)

Live has free upgrades for the life of the product, HPTuners is either 6 moths upon purchase 99.00 per year to renew.

Both are fast and both a VERY capable of getting the job done. Both listen dearly to the customers and add features that are asked for all the time. Just browse their forums and you will see what each has to offer as far as the customer is concerened.

Live is a litte easier to navigate and the tables are laid out very well. THey have a compare feature which will tell you all the changes made between two files and even lists out that tables that were changed (Tuners is supposed to have this in their next release). BB logging allows 25 minutes of data to be recorded from multiple cars.

Both companies are continually working to improve the software which makes the customer happy about thier purchase. My suggestion to you is to research both of the (I can tell you havent search wouldve answered the differences ) and see what works best for you.

Personally Live will be my personal flashing/logger for others vehicles Tuners will be used to flash cars since I paid for support for 00-01's

Edit shouldntve even been considered in the thread title. I could spit off 20 reason why NOT to purchase that tool
Old 03-07-2005, 11:25 PM
FormerVendor

Great honest opinions! Keep em' coming as I need a push to make a pick!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well, we have product in stock and ready to ship so if you order now, we'll ship your order out tomorrow.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 03-07-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Magnus
Well, we have product in stock and ready to ship so if you order now, we'll ship your order out tomorrow.

- Keith, HP Tuners
well...was just wondering...I have been using ls1 edit for awhile now...but i really like the maps of your software a lot more

problem is..i have a 98 Fbody...I only want the 98 Fbody and 2-3bar software.

is there anyway to re-configure the cables?
Old 03-07-2005, 11:52 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Got flashscan in 2 days from NZ, shipping was a little pricey though - I would assume they had it in stock
Old 03-07-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've had experience tuning w/LS1 Edit and HP Tuners... Edit shouldn't even enter into the equation at this point.. they're so far behind it's not funny

Things I've liked about HP Tuners:
First to offer scanner and tuner in 1
First to offer EIO capabilities (4 input and 2 output)
First to offer "Safe" flash ... prevents killing a PCM due to interrupted flash
First to offer 2/3 bar support (actually modifying the PCM OS to extend tables and add features)
First to offer V6 and V8 tuning in 1 package (www.hptuners.com under products pages to see the supported vehicles)

For me one of the big things is the licensing too... it's per model/platform not per vehicle... I have an 04 GTP, 02 F-Body, and 00 F-Body license... I can flash as many of these cars as I wish as it's part of the licensing ... I help alot of my friends out by doing minor stuff (gear changes, disabling SES lights, etc...) the cable comes with 2 licenses ... so you can pick 2 supported vehicles and then tune any of those year/model combos

The scanner software is laid out nicely... easy to use and is integrated into the tuner software (you can use various histograms from logs to modify tables in the PCM based on logged values)

HP Tuners is currently working on version 2.0 of the software... and I've seen it first hand... very nice... many of the features that have been requested have been added...

HPT Customer service has been second to none .. I'm very happy with my purchase ... been running on my 04GTP and my 00 WS6 for nearly a year now and I love it

Also HP Tuners has been a board sponsor since mid 2004 helping support this great site and keep it running, and all three of the guys at HP Tuners have been actively involved in this forum offering assistance and information as they can (one of the owners, Keith, has the fastest NA stock internal LS1 F-Body in the world... 10.98 I believe out of a junk yard 99 LS1 motor)

HP Tuners still has a tradein program going as well I believe... they will provide credit for people that send in their scanner/tuner cables ... you can contact HP Tuners for the specifics on this

Last edited by horist; 03-08-2005 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive used all 3.

LS1Edit
not worth a mention
unusable scanner
flash in 10 mins
have to pull VCM out or car

HPTuners
easy, intuitive
first to offer safe flash
flash in 20 secs
best licencing model I have seen
capable scanner and programmer in one
thriving customer forum
regular updates

EFILive
easy, intuitive
supports safe flash
flash in 20 secs
big licence pool to draw from
well supported and respected scanner
is the major contender to HPTuners

They all DO essentialy the same thing. Its the ease of use that makes an average tuner better.

I went HPTuners before FlashScan was available. I do not regret it and wholeheartedly recommend this product. EFILive knows it has a battle on its hands, and HPTuners knows EFILive is fast catching up.

Either or. You won't be disappointed in FlashScan or HPTuners.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:52 AM
Restricted User

Edit is the most PITA program I have ever had to use. Have seen others like F.A.S.T. and that makes tuning childs play, where Edit could force a Monk to suicide trying to figure out the cause/effect etc. There is lame support coming from Edit as well, LS1Tuning.com is more of collaboration of users rather than a developer offering support.
No experience with EFI although several people I chat with love it.
I am going HPT as well, in the next month or so, waiting for my return to the states first. Good support here, not only a sponsor but the level of activity on this board, and they have their own forum site as well.
Good luck.

Charlie
Old 03-08-2005, 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
Live has free upgrades for the life of the product, HPTuners is either 6 moths upon purchase 99.00 per year to renew.

Uh, so do we. You just don't qualify for "free" upgrades for new versions outside of the 6 months.
You will always get free updates for bug fixes from us even if you are using an earlier version with expired support.

Per EFI's site...
"Free software updates means whenever EFILive releases bug fixes and minor enhancements, you may download the updated software from EFILive's web site free of charge. New products and additional vehicle calibration definitions are not included in free software updates."

Also Edit and EFI are PCM locked. What happens if you ever decide to sell it?

Ken
Old 03-08-2005, 08:46 AM
FormerVendor

My comment shouldve read there is no charge/fee once you are outside your subscritpion period with Live. Users that have a v6 Bi-di cable will be able to ugrade the v6 license to a v7 licence for free.

Actually this is straight frmo their website

Just a reminder that EFILive's free software update policy* means that all existing EFILive V6 and V5 Scan Tool license holders will receive a free license upgrade to use the latest V7 Scan Tool software.

That means you will be able to download the new EFILive V7 Scan Tool software and upgrade your V6 license to a V7 license free of charge. We will post an upgrade application form on our web site when the EFILive V7 Scan Tool software is ready to release.

* EFILive does not charge ongoing subscriptions for software updates.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:30 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Dont know what EFILive will do with flashscan upgrades but my original EFILive scanner was upgraded from version 5 to 6 and to 7 for free. Resale would be OK on flashscan, you can add up to 23 (+ the original 2) licenses over the internet. The scanner/black box logger will have some value plus the new buyer could add a license if the cable isnt full. Most people dont buy this stuff for resale anyhow, to me its something thats consumable. For someone like me who does a couple tunes a month for others I like the flexability to carry a spare license that will work on ANY supported car or truck. If I need another license its right there on the net and takes minutes to aquire, plus since the VINs are locked to the cable you only need one copy of the software.

I'm not saying either one is better then the other, like anything else people will argue either way which is better since it will fit their plan better. I went with flashscan for the black box logger and the license structure. I can figure out the software for either quick enough, I received flashscan Friday and was tuning cars on Monday - and I drove to Chicago saturday and sunday so I didnt have much time to play with it.

I think everyone will agree that edit is pretty much dead in the water nowadays. I have nothing against edit, have used it since day one and tuned over a hundred cars with it and the only PCM that died was one where the person gave me the wrong file to program his car with (truck instead of car). So with any of them if you are careful there should be no issue.

If you have a 98 its a no-brainer right now, HPt or edit.

If you want 99 up 2/3 bar support there is only one choice also at this point, hpt.

Everyone has a different plan what to do with these, if someone just wants to tune only their own car the license structure is pretty meaningless for any of them. Shame HPt doesnt have a demo out, it may be a lot nicer then EFI/flashscan but I wont know - unless I have to borrow someone's HP tuner someday to do my 98 if Flashscan never supports it
Old 03-10-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, thanks for the time spent. As I /we enter this realm, we had no idea Edit was considered a "has been". Off the reaseach more now, thanks to all so far!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:57 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my tuning needs arent huge, im not looking to get hardcore into it. i ordered HPT pro version (no EIO) and with the trade in program i paid 280 out the door. what i got was a great little program thats widely used and i can get help quickly from other members if need be. keith has been great to deal with as well. the HPT licensing fits my situation better fits my needs too.

i do however like EFI's scanner better then HPT but im hopping some of those short commings will be rectified in v2.0. i have no tuning experience what-so-ever and i found the editor to be well layed out and easy to follow; i deleted codes, changed ide, rev limiters, speed limiters, cats, ect. with ease.

i had edit for a short while and when writing i'd click write, then go watch some tv, get something to eat, ****** around on the internet, come back and it'd finally be done. i almost **** my pants the first time writing with HPT because it was so fast.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

FlashScan takes 32 seconds to flash my PCM. It would probaly be faster if I had USB 2.0 instead of 1.1. I love it. Edit would take 20+ minutes to read and about half that to flash.

Bill
Old 03-11-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to hi-jack your thread...but I'd like to purchase HPT and have no idea how to get this accomplished. I'm not sure what exactly to order and would also like to trade in my A-Tap too. Suggestions?
Old 03-11-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jimmyz
Not to hi-jack your thread...but I'd like to purchase HPT and have no idea how to get this accomplished. I'm not sure what exactly to order and would also like to trade in my A-Tap too. Suggestions?

Email Sales@hptuners.com and inquire about the tradin program, they'll take care of ya ..

Quick Reply: HP, vs. EFI Live, vs. Edit