Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to lower A/F ratio across the board

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need to lower A/F ratio across the board

Help just finished F/I install. Current tune has put a/f at 11.1-11.4 across the board. Looking for a good way to bring it up to about 11.7 What would be the best was to get that point? Rasing IFR or uping the VE table. If I go with the VE, let me see if I have this correct higher limits reduces fuel, so if I were to multiply the whole table by a giving point, at a time to see were it would fall, ie.102% 103% ect.

Any info would be great, Thanks
Old 05-06-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
Help just finished F/I install. Current tune has put a/f at 11.1-11.4 across the board. Looking for a good way to bring it up to about 11.7 What would be the best was to get that point? Rasing IFR or uping the VE table. If I go with the VE, let me see if I have this correct higher limits reduces fuel, so if I were to multiply the whole table by a giving point, at a time to see were it would fall, ie.102% 103% ect.

Do not play with IFRs as they should accurately reflect the true flow of your injectors. Speaking of, did you initially scale your IFRs for your new injectors? Raising the VE is essentially going to push you richer as you're telling the PCM that you have more air, and thus need more fuel. Also, an across the board scalar applied to the VE isn't a good idea unless you know for a fact that it's producing the same AFR as commanded all over. I'm assuming that you meant you are producing 11.1-11.4 at WOT? Are you in the process of VE tuning? There are a number of things that could be at fault here.... On the plus side, for now you'll be plenty safe for combustion. Need more info to help...
Old 05-06-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I see not to mess with the IFR. I think I have them set for the correct size 42#s and ifr started at 5.29 and sacled them up from there, that is why I tought I might need to rescale them, not real sure if rate is correct. Here is what I have when at WOT a/f is around 11.1 5600-5800 7psi (Note I am runing a DYNO JET WIDE BAND) reacts correcrtly at all other points of rpm range LTFS are also (0) or below at WOT. Just a/f is out of wack-to rich at WOT. Looking for a way to bring it up.

Must have been wrong need to decrease value in VE table to lower?
Old 05-06-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you want to lower the commanded air fuel, or just pull fuel?

Ryan
Old 05-06-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure in that case, I think I just need to pull fuel. LTFT,s are (-0) at WOT and o2s are 800-900 if that helps.

Not sure were or what you mean by comanded fuel or just fuel.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

commanded air fuel, what air fuel ratio the comptuer is trying to command, it is a pid available in the various scanners. It is a combination of PE COT and various other parameters that can influence it.

You can't properly tune a vehicle without knowing what the commanded air fuel ratio is. If your don't know the air fuel ratio your commanding, then you can't adjust the air fuel ratio your seeing, to get them to be the same.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow
commanded air fuel, what air fuel ratio the comptuer is trying to command, it is a pid available in the various scanners. It is a combination of PE COT and various other parameters that can influence it.

You can't properly tune a vehicle without knowing what the commanded air fuel ratio is. If your don't know the air fuel ratio your commanding, then you can't adjust the air fuel ratio your seeing, to get them to be the same.
Ok are you talking about the small section on the Ls1edit Fuel tab page for A/F with in the box? Next to engine size box. I was under the standing that this is not to be changed.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.transamws6.net/HPTuners/injectors.xls

use this, just make sure you use the right result row (watch the units!)
Old 05-07-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

From what the a/f was on the dyno and my wide band it is a flat line and a constant 11.3-4 at wot. IFR is set @5.29. At all other driving and runing point a/f is working as it should 14.7, acting as it should. So if the IFR is good should I just scale down those cells for the rpm range at which I were rich? Say map cells 80-105 across.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, if you have your MAF plugged in it won't matter what you do to the VE for WOT fueling ranges. Do you not have a WOT fuel multiplier table of sorts? I would say leave everything else alone, and lean that out. You need to find out what, why, and where you are commanding certain AFRs.

At part throttle you will ALWAYS be at 14.7 so don't think this is all gravy, whether or not your fueling is inline, the PCM will make corrections to move you to stoich. What are you commanding at WOT? We can see that you are producing rich at WOT, but you gotta know what you are commanding to determine what direction to go in.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here see if this makes any sence. Looking at the Fuel Air Multiplier tab I see a decrease in cell value of with in the 20kpa-45kpa/temp 100-110. (1.020 vs.0950)

Would this be in about the right cell area fow WOT??? Tab is called OPEN LOOP F/A.

I compared this to another tune of a F/I camaro with same mods and setup. This was the only part of the table that was out, seems strange. Even 3D graphs are the same except for just these few cells.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
At wot you are no longer in closed loop, now in open loop because the computer dose not care about stoich at that point, correct.???
Old 05-07-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here see if this makes any sence. Looking at the Fuel Air Multiplier tab I see a decrease in cell value of with in the 20kpa-45kpa/temp 100-110. (1.020 vs.0950)

Would this be in about the right cell area fow WOT??? Tab is called OPEN LOOP F/A.

I compared this to another tune of a F/I camaro with same mods and setup. This was the only part of the table that was out, seems strange. Even 3D graphs are the same except for just these few cells.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
At wot you are no longer in closed loop, now in open loop because the computer dose not care about stoich at that point, correct.???
I'm not sure what LS1Edit allows you to access, but PE mode is not exactly open loop mode. It operates very similarly, but doesn't actually reference the OLFA table. Even in its limited versatility, LS1Edit would have to at least have a WOT fueling table somewhere.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you can change the flow rate of the injectors which will not affect your VE table.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
you can change the flow rate of the injectors which will not affect your VE table.
do not do this.... Bryan, I'm not sure who told you this was a good idea, but unless rail pressure has changed or actual injector flow has changed, there is no reason to do this. It's a dirty way to tune, and even though people can get the results they seek, it's not a good use of an EFI systems' abilities.