PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the basic tuning no no's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What are the basic tuning no no's?

For bolt on cars...??

No timing over 28 degrees?
No revs/rpms over 6400?
No Air Fuel over 13.0?

I'd like to be educated..
Anything else you can add or alter to what I've listed?
Thanks..
Old 06-25-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

all the intro to tuning can be found here.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/287094-read-me-first-tuning-docs-ve-maf-ses-lights-faqs-more-01-31-07-a.html

How you tune all depends on what you have done. every car is different depending on the setup. A car i was working on this week shifts at 6800rpm, others 6000rpm.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

A basic newbie no-no is adjusting Injector Flow Rate vs. Kpa to change fueling. Fueling is first done to VE and then the MAF table. Transmission settings should not be tweaked significantly unless you understand that most of them will lessen the life of the tranny. Torque management is a controversial issue. I disable it.

If you are playing with a table that you don't exactly know how it will affect all aspects of the car, do so in small increments (+/- 2%, then revert table and try 5%).

Power Enrichment should be verified with a Wideband. Some folks get away with the 02s, I don't trust them.

Get partial throttle fueling done first. Unplug the MAF and start the car. Disregard SES light for MAF. Open the scanner and open up the blue gauges and Histogram. Flip to the LTFT tab in the Histogram and position it so that you can see the KR gauge on the blue gauges. Go for a drive and pay attention to average LTFTs and KR. The drive should contain regular driving without and spirited WOT blasts. You want to stay out of PE. After 20 miles or so, pull over the car and look at the data. Note any places of KR or weird readings. Look at the LTFT histogram and make changes to your VE table to get the LTFTs slightly negative in all driving cells. Smooth the VE table. Go for another drive. Launch scanner and reset the LTFTs. Go for another drive. You'll see pretty quickly whether your changes had an effect but you'll have to drive another 50 miles for the PCM to relearn all the LTFT corrections. Once the LTFTs are in line. Reconnect the MAF and go for another 50 mile drive. Your LTFTs will be screwed up again. I scale segments of the MAF table until the LTFTs get back where I want them. Some folks use complicated Excel formulas. I'm an Excel nut too but I don't think it's needed for a bolt on car with a stock TB/MAF/LS1-LS6 intake. Once your are happy with fueling, go to timing.

Max safe AFR will be determined by the location of the WB02. An actual 13.2-13.4 isn't going to hurt anything. From what I've seen, cars don't make much more power past 12.8-13.0 tho.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Exactly what he said.

Most of the time I will reduce torque management by half unless they want it wiped out. I Personally have not had it for 2 years and over 20k miles whth no negative effects on the transmission.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:59 AM
Mat
Launching!

Here's something to bring up though... when you set the values in the PE table your basically changing the multiplier the PCM uses to calculate AFR at WOT... by changing it to 1.175 (in my case) I've set the PCM to command 14.7/1.175 = 12.51:1 AFR at WOT.

Now does this mean the wideband will show 12.51:1 and verify my change based on the actual exhaust, or does it mean that just because I set it to 12.51:1 there isn't any certainty that this is what my car will be running at? What are the reasons it would vary from what I've set the PE to command (aside from wideband location etc.)

What are the dangers of just leaning out the PE until the car knocks at 28* of timing and then simply backing it off a bit? (similar to how you tune a car with a carb/distributor setup.. advance timing/fueling till it knocks, then back it off a few degree's)

Just figured I'd post some of the newbie questions I came across as I've been learning HPTuners..
Old 06-27-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on how accurate the VE table is, since PE disables closed loop and there is not fuel trim for PE, the fueling relies on what the VE table has.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Changing the PE table has not yielded 1:1 results for me. In other words, setting the multiplier to equal 12.5:1 doesn't necessarily mean that's what a WB02 will read. If that worked perfectly, there would be no need for WB02.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tech
A basic newbie no-no is adjusting Injector Flow Rate vs. Kpa to change fueling. Fueling is first done to VE and then the MAF table. Transmission settings should not be tweaked significantly unless you understand that most of them will lessen the life of the tranny. Torque management is a controversial issue. I disable it.

If you are playing with a table that you don't exactly know how it will affect all aspects of the car, do so in small increments (+/- 2%, then revert table and try 5%).

Power Enrichment should be verified with a Wideband. Some folks get away with the 02s, I don't trust them.

Get partial throttle fueling done first. Unplug the MAF and start the car. Disregard SES light for MAF. Open the scanner and open up the blue gauges and Histogram. Flip to the LTFT tab in the Histogram and position it so that you can see the KR gauge on the blue gauges. Go for a drive and pay attention to average LTFTs and KR. The drive should contain regular driving without and spirited WOT blasts. You want to stay out of PE. After 20 miles or so, pull over the car and look at the data. Note any places of KR or weird readings. Look at the LTFT histogram and make changes to your VE table to get the LTFTs slightly negative in all driving cells. Smooth the VE table. Go for another drive. Launch scanner and reset the LTFTs. Go for another drive. You'll see pretty quickly whether your changes had an effect but you'll have to drive another 50 miles for the PCM to relearn all the LTFT corrections. Once the LTFTs are in line. Reconnect the MAF and go for another 50 mile drive. Your LTFTs will be screwed up again. I scale segments of the MAF table until the LTFTs get back where I want them. Some folks use complicated Excel formulas. I'm an Excel nut too but I don't think it's needed for a bolt on car with a stock TB/MAF/LS1-LS6 intake. Once your are happy with fueling, go to timing.

Max safe AFR will be determined by the location of the WB02. An actual 13.2-13.4 isn't going to hurt anything. From what I've seen, cars don't make much more power past 12.8-13.0 tho.

Is the way you are saying pretty much like it is said here in the sticky?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/304025-guide-ve-tuning-using-fuel-trims.html

Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-28-2005, 05:29 PM
Mat
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tech
Changing the PE table has not yielded 1:1 results for me. In other words, setting the multiplier to equal 12.5:1 doesn't necessarily mean that's what a WB02 will read. If that worked perfectly, there would be no need for WB02.
Good call and that's what I figured. I'm going to book some wideband time in the fall with the car and just make sure my tune is on target while making any necessary final tweaks. Car runs hard now with the PE at 1.175 from 4k up (if I recall correctly) and pulls no timing so I'm pretty sure it's running safely and can wait until a WB02 becomes available to squeeze the last few ounces of power from it.