PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This may be a stupid question(LTFT&STFT).

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This may be a stupid question(LTFT&STFT).

I was talking to my buddy, who has a 99 Camaro. I told him I had been tuning my car(VE Tables) for almost a month, trying to get them perfect, he said what a waste of time. He said its not like you are going to gain any HP from doing that. Is he right? Will I gain any HP from tuning the VE tables?

I told him, my car feels a bit more powerful now that I am getting close to tuning the tables. He said its all in my mind.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 07-31-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like to think of the VE tables as the foundation for the rest of your tuning. If you have the VE tables spot on, your car's actual AFR will be the same as the computer's commanded AFR. Once this is dialed in, any changes that you make to your PE table will produce the desired AFR so you can get your fueling perfect for max horsepower.

If there weren't gains to be made with tuning, there would be no tuners and no tuning software because there would be no market for it.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

way way way off topic, but that is a killer avatar - fo' shizzle
Old 07-31-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
way way way off topic, but that is a killer avatar - fo' shizzle
Thanks.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
I like to think of the VE tables as the foundation for the rest of your tuning. If you have the VE tables spot on, your car's actual AFR will be the same as the computer's commanded AFR. Once this is dialed in, any changes that you make to your PE table will produce the desired AFR so you can get your fueling perfect for max horsepower.

If there weren't gains to be made with tuning, there would be no tuners and no tuning software because there would be no market for it.

Thanks for the re-assurance.

Jason
Old 08-01-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOT/PE modes are a derivative of the partial table, as the only thing we can measure with normal narrowband O2s is the partial throttle operation. So in a way, you must have this working perfect to have it switch to WOT operation correctly.

If you have a wideband, you can get lazy and just tune WOT with injectors, like most of the ******* 'pro tuners' do, but that is such a hack that it makes me cringe.

do your VE, set your PE, do your MAF, then go on a dyno and play with PE/timing till you get it right.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Restricted User

Jason, in reality you wont see any HP gains from VE tuning, since PE runs the dyno. However, with a fucked up VE, as mentioned you will have a hard time dialing in a constant PE. You will see better economy, and more responsiveness since the fueling is all dialed in. Good luck. I still need to do mine, but I am quickly becoming the master procrastinator.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
WOT/PE modes are a derivative of the partial table, as the only thing we can measure with normal narrowband O2s is the partial throttle operation. So in a way, you must have this working perfect to have it switch to WOT operation correctly.

If you have a wideband, you can get lazy and just tune WOT with injectors, like most of the ******* 'pro tuners' do, but that is such a hack that it makes me cringe.

do your VE, set your PE, do your MAF, then go on a dyno and play with PE/timing till you get it right.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

maybe no power up top but for around town wont it spruce up the power and pep that the engine has?
Old 08-01-2005, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

WS6

Yes, as it will be maximized for YOUR combination.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a big fan of having your VE dialed in perfect.
1. it tells you about the volumetric efficiency of the engine, so you actually see the effects of your mods on the system as a whole.
2. 99% of the time you are NOT WOT, thus you're on the partial throttle. Tune it, and your daily driver fun factor goes up. Most fbodies here are daily drivers, not dedicated track cars.
3. proper base (VE) makes derivatives (PE) run very well. I spent 5 months tuning on the street with narrowbands, and when I went to a dyno, I gained a whopping 6rwhp in 2.5hrs of tuning. talk about throwing away your money :/