PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should dyno-tuning take into account the airflow taken in at WOT on the dragstrip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should dyno-tuning take into account the airflow taken in at WOT on the dragstrip?

I think most dynamometers don't have that really powerful fan that can recreate the volume of air that can get into the car at WOT on the dragstrip. Therefore, I don't think that most dynamometers will show any HP gains from basic air induction mods such as an aftermarket airbox lid and SSRA-type mods. Now, I've read that the optimal air/fuel ratio range is 12.9-13.1. When I get my car professionally dyno-tuned on a dynamometer with no poweful fan, should I aim for a 12.9 to take into account the air that will be taken in during WOT on the dragstrip? Also, I saw this old reply:

Posted as a reply by Colonel on 12/01/02:
Actually, it's been my experience that suddenly increasing the airflow (like installing a lid or removing the filter) causes a richer mixture temporarily due to the PCM overcompensating initially. I can remove my filter and watch my WOT O2s go from .870mv to .930mv. Make another pass and watch them fall to .890. After another couple of passes they'll be back down to .870mv.
Does the above reply mean that air induction mods won't show any actual HP gains on the dragstrip at WOT unless the PCM is modified to account for the extra airflow in? Thanks in advance for the info.

Last edited by damon_Z; 09-05-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interested in this too
Old 09-05-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

that quote sounds like a car that leaned out and then started adding some fuel on top of the PE table to compensate.

I'm intrested in this as well but I'll be trying something out. I'm going to be using an Austrailian ram air setup on my gto which should show some good gains in hp/mph while moving. On the dyno I don't suspect it would register more than the next "air filter" setup.

However, I'll be trying something different. I'll be dynoing my car to make peak hp/tq with my LM-1 wideband in while adjusting fuel/timing on the dyno. Then it will be intresting to see what my wideband is reading on some pulls through 4th gear on the street. I gues the easiest way to show this is just to plot it in excell. Then I can try to richen the car back up where it was making peak power while on the dyno.

I tried something similar recently but it was just load based. On an average of 10 1-4th gear pulls I plotted in excell the car read 8-10mv leaner every gear on gears 1-4. I suspect it would be worse with my new ram air setup but only time will tell.

Dougie
Old 09-05-2005, 04:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most people aim for 12.6:1 at peak hp on a dynojet because they create less load then on the street or at the track and richer at peak tq...on the street on an na car I try to aim for 12.6:1 @ peak tq & 13.0:1 or a little leaner at peak hp.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

This post needs more replies.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

As long as the A/F is good on the dyno it should be good at the track also, the PCM should compensate for the differences in air temp, air velocity and air pressure.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the dyno fan needs to do is keep the air temperature near ambient. It can’t increase ambient pressure. Dynoing your car in a NASA wind tunnel would not significantly increase engine airflow. The biggest cooling fan is not a little supercharger.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gary Z
All the dyno fan needs to do is keep the air temperature near ambient. It can’t increase ambient pressure. Dynoing your car in a NASA wind tunnel would not significantly increase engine airflow. The biggest cooling fan is not a little supercharger.
Ditto, that's why engines have Vacuum, and not boost (unless of course they're boosted to begin with).

So the only added effect that the fans at a dyno have is simulating the air that would normally cool down the engine at speed.

Nate