Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES light...Skip Shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SES light...Skip Shift

Well i just bought a '00 WS6 and the SES light is on and i took it to AutoZone and they said it was the up shift soliniod. So i got up there and tried to plug the skip shift harness back into the tranny (had resistor mod) but it will not go all the way in to clip on to the tranny, so i ordered a skipshift eliminator but it will not be here for a couple days. I went to radio shack and go somemore resistors and put one in temporarly and the SES light is still on. What is going on could the actual solinoid have gone bad? How would the computer know if the wire isn't plugged up? Someone help please i'm tired of looking at this damn SES light! Thanks!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

ok i just got it plugged back up and pulled the pcm ignition fuse to reset the light, the ses light is still on...could the actual solinoid be bad?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you pull both the PCM Ign and PCM Bat fuses? with the key in the run position and wait for a minute or so?

That should clear the light... if you have the proper resistor in the skip shift wire it should prevent the code from appearing I believe (my understanding is the skip shift eliminator is just a resistor in a fancy package anyways)
Old 09-07-2005, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

I put a 2.2ohm 1/2 resister in there and the light was still on! I hooked everything back up factory and the light in still on...AND skip shift doesn't work (doesn't make me go to 4th) so i'm guessing it's something else!
Old 09-07-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you try resetting the PCM after you hooked everything back up stock to try and clear the SES light? Some codes take a few cycles w/o a fault to turn off by themselves. I'd reset it to see if you can get the light off. If you're also having trouble getting the car into reverse I'd check the ENG SEN fuse too.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:15 PM
11 Second Club

I have no problem getting it into reverse...I just had it read and it's code dtc-803 HOW DO I FIX THIS? It's so annoying, please someone share some insight....i put the plug back in the tranny like it is stock and it's still not working, i can shift from 1st to 2nd fine when the light is on. How do i reset the PCM? I know on LT1's you just pull PCM ing and PCM bat fuse...but that didn't work!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

I just checked every fuse in the engine compartment...they are all fine...can the actuall solenoid on the tranny go bad?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it can go... but w/out the wire attached to the solenoid the PCM would not know....

Try this:

put key in run position
Pull PCM IGN fuse
Pull PCM Bat fuse
wait 30 seconds
turn key on of on off 5 times
replace PCM bat fuse
replace PCM IGN fuse

SES should be off....

a skip shift code is not one that sets on power up (car start) ... so I don't think the PCM was actually "reset"

try the above and report back

(or... find someoine local w/HP Tuners, EFI Live, Autotap, or even LS1 Edit w/the "scan" tool .... and have the SES cleared)
Old 09-07-2005, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

Can Autozone clear the code? I just tried clearing it and it didn't work...what else could it be? Should i replace that actual solenoid?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

please help......
Old 10-26-2005, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

Well i had the GM dealership look at it! They said they have to pull the tranny to replace the solenoid...i'm doing a clutch swap next weekend, where can i buy this part from?
Old 10-27-2005, 01:58 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am telling you from experience that if you put a new resitor or the skip shift eliminator on there the PCM will not know if it is bad or not and you should be able to reset the code and go down the road I wouldn't replace it JMO. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

dude i put a new resistor in....i put a skip shift eliminator in there...THE ACTUAL SOLENOID IS BAD...
Old 11-03-2005, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

It doesn't make sense to me, if your cable is not plugged into the tranny, for the solinoid to be activated, and the resistor was in there and the light is still on. The problem sounds like it is with the wire side your plugging in. I don't see how the actual solinoid is bad when the light comes on with the resistor in there and nothing to do with the solinoid attached.