Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIN REPOSITORY -- UP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default BIN REPOSITORY -- UP!!!!

Well... yesterday was not a good day for me and computers...

My main gaming computer decided to start sparking and stop working (bottom PCI connector is black instead of white now)

And my Server lost both primary hard drives (2 drives, RAID0) ... I'm attempting to repair it now by installing a new copy of win2k3 server... but I'm a bit worried...

I don't recall which drive i placed the database on (the RAID0 drives, or my 4 RAID 5 drives) ... if I put them on the RAID0 drive then the data will be lost back to about 3 weeks ago when I did the last backup of it.

This is going to take me some time as this server box was also my Active Directory server, DNS , WINS, Exchange, SQL, IIS, FTP Server....

I will post up when it's back up... (my email address was also hosted on this server so I will not have email for this period of time as well...)

Mike
Old 10-08-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

wow... I'm extremely happy right now... I was able to recover the RAID 5 stripeset and all the data on it... and I actually stored my SQL Data on that drive (which is where it should be... but I've been known to make mistakes from time to time)

I should have it back up and running tonight or tomorrow night at latest... sorry for the inconvenience
Old 10-08-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

IIS restored, SQL restored. Just need to create a few permissions and we'll be back up
Old 10-08-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man I can feel your pain. glad you lucked out. if it helps any I can provide some space so you can have remote backup.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what you get for running Windoze..
Old 10-09-2005, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

^^^LOL I had a Linux box running for a while, but ran into too many bugs with the MS ASP "plugin" ... (My previous web application programming has always been on windows boxes so haven't had a need yet to learn perl or php ... ASP made it so much easier to quickly develop web apps since the enviro was always native MS)

Besides... Running a *nix based OS wouldn't have helped when both primary drives that are RAID 0 fail heh (I have a feeling I had a surge through my DSL line... I looked at it and it's the ONLY thing that I didn't have going through surge protectors grrr)

Regardless.... the repository should be back up now... it works for me internally, can soomeone try

http://www.horist.com/hptuner and let me know if it works for you as well?
Old 10-09-2005, 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by horist

Regardless.... the repository should be back up now... it works for me internally, can soomeone try

http://www.horist.com/hptuner and let me know if it works for you as well?
Receive a 404 Not Found Error.

I can browse and search fine, but won't allow me to dl. Tired a few different files Mike.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Seems to be fine now Mike. Just tried again. Looks like there is one link that isn't dl'ing for me. http://www.transamws6.net/HPTuners/bin/1844504292.zip
Old 10-09-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

^^^LOL... you found one of the 23 or so I need to remove because they're invalid

IIIS keeps killling itself cause I'm installing Exchange right now (it keeps stopping the default web site since it needs to do updates for my web based outlook)

I'm finding lots of things now w/windows 2003 that are different fromm windows 2000 heh (I did a windows 2000 to windows 2003 upgrade previous... this is my first time installling win2k3 as the default OS)

Guess it's a good learning experience heh

In the morning I need to figure out how to force this box to be AD primary controller for my old AD name.... I used to have horist.com as my AD name.... now it's something different since horist.com still has a presense (client boxes) on my network.... Prob is in order to join horist.com I need to have a box to authenticate against ... and since the box that went down is the old (and only) controller.... ugh..... this is probably good though... I'm learning alot more about ADs and win2k3 .....

Storing the SQL DBs on my raid5 drives made me extermely happy though heh ... the HPT repository I could recover to 3 weeks ago so it's not a big deal..... but I have another internal DB that I store all my DVD movies in..... movie name, ISBN number, Genre, movie description (from IMDB) , my personal rating, 3 primary actors that starred in it.... and it gives me the Book (i use CD books for my DVDs) , page and position .... I put over 500 intoo it the past 2 nights.... was worried I had lost that.... heh

Last edited by horist; 10-09-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by horist
^^^LOL... you found one of the 23 or so I need to remove because they're invalid
Thats my luck.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Speaking of bad links.... I forget who emailed me the list... but can you re email them to me at:

PC underscore TECK at HOTMAIL dot COM

underscore = _
at = @
dot = .
no spaces in address

I had my exchange server data files stored on the drives that went bad so just lost 4 years worth of email

Needless to say... I'll be implementing a much stricter DVD backup schedule.. now that DVDs are only 30 cents each or cheaper.... I'll be doing more backups now
Old 10-09-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Why would you keep 4 years worth of email Mike? I couldn't imagine how many you must have had.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

lol... I'm a digital "pack rat"

I like to save everything digitally.... Storage is cheap ...... my server has 1 terrabyte of storage (3/4 that useable due to the RAIID 5)

but the highschool emails I can do w/out ..... the lolst emails suck lost emails also means I lost my contact list

Seriously thogh.... why would I keep emails for 4 years...

Too much information > too little

plus when my best friend says soomething about his coobra.... it's useful to be able to find an email by him that contradicts what he says.... or shows that he's years behind where I am

Last edited by horist; 10-09-2005 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

all back up, my horist.com email works now