Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about hp tuners" IO enhancement"

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about hp tuners" IO enhancement"

im fixin to order hp tuners and i was wanderin if the io enhancement is worth getting..its $150..what will this allow me to do...whats it used for basically..and when i order from there website where is it comin from? austrailia? thanks!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Um..
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/YaBB.p...num=1106281015

simply put....
you want to tune with a wideband..you need EIO
Old 10-12-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so i would have to buy a wideband seperatly on top of the IO? i still dont see the point of buying the enhancement...someone please explain
Old 10-12-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want to be able to tune WOT accurately you need what's called a wideband O2 sensor.

Stock car has Narrowband... 0 - 1000 mv range... only accurate near stoich (14.7:1 or so) beyond that they get much more innacurate so you can't make fine tuning changes... only guesses (.890 on 1 car is lean but on another it may be rich)

Wideband O2 sensors on the other hand are 0-5000mv so 5x more resolution and accurate all across the AFR Range. However, this data (Air Fuel Ratio) doesn't do much good if you can't log it along with other engine parameters (at minimum RPM) .. since the HPT cable already can scan RPM, MAP, MAF, etc... EIO allows you to add the external wideband sensor to the cable as though it was a stock sensor...

Also useful for hooking up EGT sensors, or for activating circuits based on scanner readings (common example... at 100% TPS, and above 3000 RPM activate a relay to enable a nitrous kit) The EIO gives you 4 5 volt inputs, and 2 switched to ground outputs for external circuits. Another option is if you have a fuel pressure gauge that has a linear 0-5volt output... you can configure HPT to log fuel pressure.

but a summary: the EIO is necessary to easily add external sensors to your scan for tuning purposes. You would have to buy wideband seperately.

I think everyone should have a wideband... but money is always a constraint and we did tune these cars (though not as accurately) w/out a built in wideband sensor... so it's not 100% required... so long as you have access to a dyno for a decent price with wideband to see where you're at... but if you can spring the extra money for the cable and the wideband controller ... it's definetly worth getting... only way to be able to accurately tune a car w/out a dyno and wideband (and street tuning I believe is even more accurate since you have air rushing into the engine at high speeds, and you have real street load on the car)
Old 10-12-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Okie02
so i would have to buy a wideband seperatly on top of the IO? i still dont see the point of buying the enhancement...someone please explain
It lets you log wideband in hptuners. Otherwise you'd just be reading your a/f straight off the wideband guage.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok i will go ahead and get it then..also are most widebands compatible with hp tuners? i was lookin at the LC1 wideband i found on dynotunes website...will this work..and also on the hp tuners site it asks if i want 1,2,or 3 pigtails..how many will i need?..or does that just depend on how much stuff i hook up to it? sorry for all the stupid questions but im new to this and im very interested in learning all of this, thats why im ordering hp tuners very soon...thanks again
Old 10-12-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

I have the lm1 and one pigtail. Lots of people have the lc1 too.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by P Mack
I have the lm1 and one pigtail. Lots of people have the lc1 too.
ive had my lm1 for a while with one pigtail & this to house it in

Old 10-12-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

That looks a lot better than my solder and electrical tape job.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foff667
ive had my lm1 for a while with one pigtail & this to house it in

where is that mounted?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its not...i tune on the side so it goes with me from car to car...but it makes me connecting to my lm1 much quicker & my box is at least semi protected