PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Need help reading VCM

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help reading VCM

I just bought HPtuners for my 2000 WS6 but i cannot get it to work. Im trying to read the PCM but i keep getting a message that says the cable is not found. Heres is what ive been doing. Im using a laptop with USB port. I have a USB to serial adapter, with the driver installed. I plug the Cable into the car, then into the USB/Serial adaptor, then the adapter into my USB. Ive also tried hooking the cable straight up to the serial port on my desktop, but i get the same message. Oce ive got the cable all hooked up, i turn the key to the on position with the engine and all the accesories off, wait 10 sec., then i go to the flash screen and click on the read VCM prompt. What am i doing wrong? Allen.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check and see if you cigar lighter is working the cigar lighter and teh ob2 port are on the same fuse if fuse if blown it can give u the same mesage
Old 10-12-2005, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

ok, ill check it, but the car runs fine, if the fuse to the pcm was blown, would it still run??
Old 10-13-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

the cig/accy fuse doesn't power the PCM.... it powers the DLC ..... (this is a fuse inside the car... open your door... remove the panel, check for cig/accy or something like that)

i'm hoping you're not using a radioshack or belkin usb to rs232 adapter right? (what kinda usb adapter are you using)
Old 10-13-2005, 12:27 AM
TECH Junkie

a keyspan usb/serial adaptor works really good, thats what i use.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Yes im using an old serial adapter i bought from radio shack, im guessing those are junk..?? I also have a Dynex adapter that i got from best buy, ill install the drivers and try that one.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Teching In

I have one from radio shack and it is working, although not well. The driver crashes the laptop when it disconnects. Did you install the software that came with the usb adapter? You can also download it off the radioshack website.

John.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

ive tried them both, niether work. I keep getting the "cable not found" screen. The drivers are installed properly and all the settings in the device manager are correct, HPtuners checks the right comm port, but as soon as it does, it says "not found". The cigarette lighter also works fine. This is really starting to aggrevate me because i just intstalled a fast intake and TB with new injectors, and im installing headers and a bassani exhasut soon, but it runs like sh** because i cant tune it HELP ME!!!!!

Has anyone had similar problems with either of the cables that i have? could it be possible that both of the cables i have are junk? they are both brand new.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

have you emailed support?

Also is the usb serial port set as a standard port number? (below 5) or is it a goofy port (like com 8)
Old 10-15-2005, 11:30 AM
FormerVendor

The first thing to check is the com port number assigned to the Keyspan when plugged in. If you have a com 3 with nothing plugged in, then you need to change the Keyspan com port number to less than that. Com 3 seems to be some Windows XP display driver and not an actual com port. It confuses the software.

Also make sure you don't have the scanner running while trying to read/write (it will tie up the com port).

On the desktop make sure you don't have any Palm Pilot or UPS software running in the background. Those will also tie up the com port so nothing can use it. As a side note, the interface is powered from the vehicle. Just hooking it to the desktop machine to the interface without vehicle power won't work.

Ken