Sponsored by:

Pinging...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pinging...

What' s happening, everybody?

My question is about pinging. I have read all the posts I can find, but still have a couple questions.

I have a basic understanding of what causes this phenominon. I get pinging WOT, on regular 91* California gas. I mostly use 76, but it doesn' t really help anything. I have pulled all the timing my Predator will allow, and pulled out some fuel, as I continually get into about the 940mV range. I have had a catch can on the car for a year or so, and have treated the fuel system with many additives, and Seafoam. I just put in some new plugs, in hopes that would take care of the problem, but I even pinged with TR55s. I have replaced the wires with some MSDs, and the fuel filter. The car has less than 29K, and I still can' t figure this out.

I would prefer to keep from pulling the fuel pump and what not, but, can anybody relate to my situation, and offer anything helpful?

Thanks to all for your help.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What are your fan settings? Consider pushing them
way down, like 175 all off, 180 all in. It might help
you tolerate the gas you're stuck with. Though you
will be wanting to heat it up for Der Smogfuhrer once
a year.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Pull as much timing as you can and add as much fuel as you can and try that. I know that the Predator doesn't allow for big changes. Have you checked your Ltrims? Are they slightly negative with normal driving and lock at 0 at WOT?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you get audible pinging or are you just seeing kr on the predator? I had the same problems w/ mine. I tried using the predator to fix it and was able to reduce the amount of kr by maxing out the fueling and reducing the timing as much as it would allow.
Since then I have installed an ls6 intake, ls6 valley cover, revised (extended) my catch can lines, installed LTs and a catted y pipe, installed 36# injectors, and deleted egr. I've been tuning ve w/ hptuners and now have 0 kr. I saw the biggest reduction in kr after the ls6 valley cover and different catch can setup.
Did this problem recently start or get worse? This time of year is usually when Cali switches to winter blend gasoline at the pumps (lived there most of my life, can't wait to get back!).
Old 10-20-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

I get audible pinging, an no KR on the Predator. I have tried the adjustments suggested, but STILL get it. I have had this problem for several months, and it pisses me off because I can' t enjoy my new stall, and brand new LTs. I have my fans pretty low, but that doesn' t seem to help it either. My Ltrims are at 0 at WOT, and John is changing my part throttle trims a little. They are more positive in normal driving.

I might start another thread and ask how do ya' ll apply the spray-in SEAFOAM? I have just sprayed it through the TB, while running a little above idle, and shut it off to try and hit the runners in the back, in the past. Is there a vacuum port I can use that is more effective?

Thanks for all you input
Old 10-20-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

You can spary it thru the pcv vacuum hose or brake booster line. I have been dealing with pinging at both part throttle and wot and with lots of kr for over 2 yrs now. I tried about everything and nothing worked. I recently added a vertical pcv and that combined with my AMW catch can seems to have stopped oil into the intake. I was still getting oil past the catch can. I had the car dynoed for 1hr to find the problem and nothing. Perfect a/f at part throttle 14.7 and rich at wot 11.8. I haven't been able to run the predator tune for the past 2 yrs because of the pinging. Even with a 160 stat it pinged bad. I'm goona install the tune soon and see how it goes.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audible pinging with no KR? Maybe the knock sensors are going bad?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Suspended Sponsor

Its funny, we have seen this many times out here in good ol 91 octane land, I can fix it for you with a tune and a few other minor things, give us a call and I can take care of it, or you can PM me if you like. I know we are a ways away from you but I assure you I can fix the problem and get you more power to boot! Just as the guys in the Western forum, there are a few in there we have fixed this for, one guy is GTOOBSESSOR I believe.

-Bryan
Old 10-20-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

TR55's are the stock heat range, so they would not help with pinging. Colder plugs will help. I use Delco Rapidfire #8 (platinum) gapped at .05, there's also the TR6 (which I've also tried). You will hear about fouling with colder plugs but I've never had them come even close.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm. I' ve considered that, and it' s good to hear feedback that you haven' t had a problem. Thanks...