Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pcm interchangability

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcm interchangability

is there any issues with swapping a pcm from say a 99 t/a with a 01/02 camaros pcm? or say a 99 vette with an 01/02? Basically what can and cant you swap as far as PCM's? Thanks
Old 11-16-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=HPT
Old 11-17-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

but what i want to know, is if i can swap out the actual pcm? say i have a conversion guy who needs tuning, but has a 99 vette pcm.. can i toss in a camaro/trans am pcm and use that.. instead of buying more liscenses? i have a guy who can get the pcm for free basically. just want to know if its going to screw anything up.. thanks for the link btw.. read that the other day
Old 11-17-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

for the vette you can use the PCM from an F-Body but it'll need to be reflashed to the corvette OS ... (electronic throttle)

the actual PCM is the same though up until at least 03 (04 they switched to 1MB flash files I believe) ... from another post the same goes for the truck PCMs (4.8,5.3,6.0)
Old 11-17-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

great thanks for the clarification!
-kevin
Old 11-17-2005, 12:56 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Originally Posted by horist
for the vette you can use the PCM from an F-Body but it'll need to be reflashed to the corvette OS ... (electronic throttle)

the actual PCM is the same though up until at least 03 (04 they switched to 1MB flash files I believe) ... from another post the same goes for the truck PCMs (4.8,5.3,6.0)
When your talking a flash is there a diffrence from a full flash (like the dealer doe's) or a flash that we do when we tune are cars with hp or efi?Only reason i ask because i have a truck pcm in my car and the computer number is the same but i just flashed the computer with my file.Im trying to fugure out a bug my car has and wanna make sure what i did was fine.Sorry to butt in on this thread.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

there should be no difference between what a dealer does and a full reflash with either software...

Did you do a full reflash? or just a calibration write? A full reflash should take about 2 minutes

So long as a full flash was done then no difference between what we can do and a dealer (since it's a new PCM you'll want to do a CASE Learn also)
Old 11-17-2005, 04:16 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

there should be no difference between what a dealer does and a full reflash with either software...

Did you do a full reflash? or just a calibration write? A full reflash should take about 2 minutes

So long as a full flash was done then no difference between what we can do and a dealer (since it's a new PCM you'll want to do a CASE Learn also)
I did just a calibration write?This was a used pcm.Were do i get a full flash file from.Do you think it will make a diffrence.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you wrote your calibation file to another PCM running a different OS than your pcm... it could cause problems (weird that it let you write the calibration though w/out verifying the OS ... )

If you're using HP Tuners, the .bin/.hpl file you have for your PCM is the full 512kb flash file, so you can just do the full write with that... If EFI Live I believe it's the same... the file you have is the full binary, and you do the full write

I would do a full rewrite then a CASE Learn and see if your probs clear up
Old 11-17-2005, 05:09 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

if you wrote your calibation file to another PCM running a different OS than your pcm... it could cause problems (weird that it let you write the calibration though w/out verifying the OS ... )

If you're using HP Tuners, the .bin/.hpl file you have for your PCM is the full 512kb flash file, so you can just do the full write with that... If EFI Live I believe it's the same... the file you have is the full binary, and you do the full write

I would do a full rewrite then a CASE Learn and see if your probs clear up
Well i had two licences and i used it on the used pcm and it doe's 512kb write. What is a case learn? I would like to make sure ive covered all my bases.