Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > PCM Diagnostics & Tuning
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

PCM Diagnostics & Tuning
HP Tuners | AutoTap | Diablo | MAF Translator | HPP3 | FAST | Gen7 | Big Stuff 3
Sponsored by
Diablo Sport

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 11-17-2005, 04:44 PM   #1
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 34
Default Who knows about TPI cars and VATS

I have a 86 IROC original motor a 305 TPI and I droped in a 87 TPI 350 out of a Vette and it will not run. Fuel goes to the rail and thier is spark just does not get to the injectors because I have no injector pulse. Checked it with noid light. Also checked everything else possible. Now I have read that it is my VATS and I have to bypass it so it will get injector pulse and they way to do it is with a custom burned prom. Just wanted to see if anyone on here has been through this and can burn me one? Thanks alot
02 Z28 6 Speed, Chrome 18 ZO6 rims, SS hood, Sport apperance package, Manta Stripe. RIP
78 Z28 All options, T tops, 4 Speed, 3.73
86 Iroc Z Sold
87 Trans Am GTA Sold
"Rather be BLOWN than STROKED"
CAMJAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:50 PM   #2
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 30

It would be best to ask at www.thirdgen.org They know 3rd gen very well over there.
12secSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 34

Ahead of you on that one... Just looking for more then 1 opinion
02 Z28 6 Speed, Chrome 18 ZO6 rims, SS hood, Sport apperance package, Manta Stripe. RIP
78 Z28 All options, T tops, 4 Speed, 3.73
86 Iroc Z Sold
87 Trans Am GTA Sold
"Rather be BLOWN than STROKED"
CAMJAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

If memory serves on that vehicle VATS controlled the fuel pump and ignition/starter not the injector circuit. What did you do for a harness?
2002 NBM Camaro SS - TFS 215 59cc Heads, Vindicator .608/.596 240/244 112+4 Cam, 85MM TB, Dynatech LTs, Custom Catback, Midwest Chassis Fabricated 9" Rear, AFCO CoilOvers, Custom Subframe Connectors, Custom Tune
technical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

it can control injector pulse also not sure on obd1 if just the prom will fix it you need to know the vats number off the key that goes to the pcm your using
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

it can control injector pulse also not sure on obd1 if just the prom will fix it you need to know the vats number off the key that goes to the pcm your using 1-15
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:19 PM   #7
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

I believe that there is an alternative to getting a PROM burned. You can bypass the system by installing the appropriate resistor for the system in the car. I believe that you have the type of VATS that has the resistor in the key? If so, you should be able to bypass the VATS system by measuring the resistance of the resistor in the key and installing a resistor in the system of the same resistance. The VATS wires can be found under the dash. The wires are small. There are two small (22 awg) wires encased in an outer jacket. The jacket is normally white, orange, or black. You will need to cut the wires and splice a resistor in the system that is within 5% of the resistance measured from the key. I would recommend that you get as close to possible to the original resistance. The resistors needed can be purchased from a local electronics store for like 2 bucks. If you need more information, I would suggest that you look for the tips on installing remote car starters or PM me. Please note that this would be a permanent bypass of the system and that you use this information at your own risk. I take no liability for the use of the information.

Mods:
Procharger 8 rib D-1SC with 7 PSI, Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump, 42 lb. Injectors, Textralia Clutch, Strange 12 Bolt w/3.73 Gears, etc.
98redformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:25 PM   #8
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 8
Send a message via AIM to J&J Speed Shop Send a message via MSN to J&J Speed Shop

Probably the VATS in the PROM, what computer and PROM are you using for this combo?
J&J Speed Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

Ive owned several tpi cars just get the vats removed from the prom,started up!!
marine02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:24 PM   #10
Tenured Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default vat delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMJAG
I have a 86 IROC original motor a 305 TPI and I droped in a 87 TPI 350 out of a Vette and it will not run. Fuel goes to the rail and thier is spark just does not get to the injectors because I have no injector pulse. Checked it with noid light. Also checked everything else possible. Now I have read that it is my VATS and I have to bypass it so it will get injector pulse and they way to do it is with a custom burned prom. Just wanted to see if anyone on here has been through this and can burn me one? Thanks alot

We can delete the vats in your chip for $100.00

TPIS 952 448 6021
TPiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:24 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
87, bypass, cars, cut, gm, injector, iroc, pass, port, prom, pulse, replacement, tpi, tuned, vat, vats