Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner PROBLEM LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner PROBLEM LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beware of the promise of more HP. My friend had his head & cam package for over two years. Drove it back & forth to Fla 3 or 4 times over 25000 miles he has put on it.
THEN he meets someone that tells him I can get 30 more HP out of your car with tuning.
I'm the best around. Well my friend drops off his car for a tune. Gets a call that the head gasket blew. Well after the car is sitting in the shop for a few months thousands of dollars later This happens. WHY can anyone tell me what happen. Tuner is blaming prior head & cam package. he needs help he wants answers. The shop where the car is now does not want to get involved just wants to repair

http://tinypic.com/i381zt.jpg

Jeff

Last edited by horist; 12-01-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much hp was he making?

500+ motors do that due to the pistons being crap. 97 to 02 anyways.

That sucks about the blow up. But i would think that it was more of a wear and tear thing building up to it. The pistons have lots of carbon build up too, That is not from short term programming.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default chunks

I'm not too up to speed with LS1's yet, but I have been following the Grandprix crowd for the last 5 years and it seems like the cast pistons in the grandprixs tend to fatigue and chunk like that due to detonation which occurs over a long time. The time is usually decreased depending on the severity of detonation. The tune may have been too lean or had to much timing advance and caused the car to detonate. If it's a high milage engine that's been driven hard, it may have been a matter of time and the lean tune may have accelerated the pistons fate.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:12 AM
Teching In

ttt

jeff
Old 12-02-2005, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fried rice
Beware of the promise of more HP. My friend had his head & cam package for over two years. Drove it back & forth to Fla 3 or 4 times over 25000 miles he has put on it.
THEN he meets someone that tells him I can get 30 more HP out of your car with tuning.
I'm the best around. Well my friend drops off his car for a tune. Gets a call that the head gasket blew. Well after the car is sitting in the shop for a few months thousands of dollars later This happens. WHY can anyone tell me what happen. Tuner is blaming prior head & cam package. he needs help he wants answers. The shop where the car is now does not want to get involved just wants to repair

http://tinypic.com/i381zt.jpg

Jeff

Update READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

This so called tuner from what I was told put 45 degrees of timing all across the table.
Yes I said 45 degrees with a lean PE table. He has no Dyno & told my friend Them guys that tune on a Dyno don't know what there doing.

Now this car was fine before said tuner worked on it. When he tuned it the first time while my friend was in the car he blew the head gasket.

Now this car was done 2 years ago 25000 + miles Then after head gaskets were replaced.
The piston goes BUT that had nothing to do with the 45 degrees of timing.

Only lesson here is that just because you buy edit software it does not make you a tuner.
The car is back at the tuner that built it the first time & it will be better then ever.

Jeff
Old 12-02-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

ok....people that know there **** will have a dyno. A TUNE(TUNING) is a very involved process. most people that straight up say oh yeh i can tune are FULL OF ****. you know when someone can tune when that person has their own car that they tuned themselves and it has been fine for 80000+ miles, lol. there are other things too. but you don't have to have a dyno, it just makes things easier.

if you are on this board you can ask and see who knows what and who to go to when you need help. please use this board and the people on it. I met nick williams through this board and he is awesome, even helped me with my tuning on his time during work. If you are up here and you start asking around for help tuning you will find the right people.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
ok....people that know there **** will have a dyno. A TUNE(TUNING) is a very involved process. most people that straight up say oh yeh i can tune are FULL OF ****. you know when someone can tune when that person has their own car that they tuned themselves and it has been fine for 80000+ miles, lol. there are other things too. but you don't have to have a dyno, it just makes things easier.

if you are on this board you can ask and see who knows what and who to go to when you need help. please use this board and the people on it. I met nick williams through this board and he is awesome, even helped me with my tuning on his time during work. If you are up here and you start asking around for help tuning you will find the right people.
Exactly, be cautious of people that do a tune in a matter of minutes to an hour. Look for people who take their time and use equipment that known to produce succesfull results, and that they know how to use them. Most guys that are on reputable will be willing to show you what they are doing and explain how it affects the results. There is no mystery to tuning, just the learning and knowing how.

Where are you located? or where did this happen?
Old 12-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Ok who is this so called tuner & where is his shop.
Stay far away from there.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

That is a Tooner's responce, not a tuner.

Ryan
Old 12-04-2005, 12:31 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ok.....
that is a crapload of carbon to be done in 1 session..
I have cars with over 100,000 miles on them that have less build up than that

IF you can prove that the tuner in question put the 45* timing across the board into that car...you might have a lawsuit to get your engine repaired as that can be consider damage caused by gross negligence...but you have to have a tune from before...and after...in your posession..as it will be hard to prove if you dont have a before tune to campare with...

otherwise...you are kind of up **** creek...
most dyno shops have disclaimers and waivers that you sign for just that reason...
they know that they will be stressing your car to the max limit on the dyno...if your parts fail..it not their fault because you asked them to take it through the steps to do what they do..

I dont mean to sound like an ***...
but those are some of the risks that you take with performance mods....

and like I said...if you can prove the tuner didnt know what the hell they were doing....then go get 'em.

and remeber..just cause somebody has tools doesnt mean they kow how to use them.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Teching In

This guy is going around
impersonating well known tuners. Just look @ this pic.
I don't think he's playing with a full case of oil

Old 12-04-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

I am still in my youth as far as REAL car modifying goes. However, I have taken apart a couple of LS1's that have blown up due to various reasons. They were not as near that black on top of the pistons! Also, I have seen a piston like that fracture on a Turbo 3.8L. Seems to be a common failure with cast alum.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

A Car with egr will have much more build up on the pistons than a car without. That is why i shut off egr when possible.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by soundengineer
ok.....
that is a crapload of carbon to be done in 1 session..
I have cars with over 100,000 miles on them that have less build up than that

IF you can prove that the tuner in question put the 45* timing across the board into that car...you might have a lawsuit to get your engine repaired as that can be consider damage caused by gross negligence...but you have to have a tune from before...and after...in your posession..as it will be hard to prove if you dont have a before tune to campare with...

otherwise...you are kind of up **** creek...
most dyno shops have disclaimers and waivers that you sign for just that reason...
they know that they will be stressing your car to the max limit on the dyno...if your parts fail..it not their fault because you asked them to take it through the steps to do what they do..

I dont mean to sound like an ***...
but those are some of the risks that you take with performance mods....

and like I said...if you can prove the tuner didnt know what the hell they were doing....then go get 'em.

and remeber..just cause somebody has tools doesnt mean they kow how to use them.
HERE IS YOUR PROOF FROM ANOTHER SIGHT
http://tinypic.com/i6dzqa.jpg

Fried Rice

Member: #31674
Located: Rochester NY/Stone Harbor NJ

My Corvette
03 Z06

"The Vette Doctor" ???? Yeah right. Carmen and Dennis out on the island are the Vette doctors. It is truely a scumbag who rides on someone elses hard earned reputation. I'll give the guys a call and ask them if they know of this mutt.

RRREDZ06

Last edited by fried rice; 12-05-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Somebody needs to take away his laptop, and fast!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

There are other things that effect final timing values....

I did this same type of thing once.. A competitor "under a different name" Bought a pcm from me for a vehicle that they where having issues with, Well, There are Coolant tables, Iat tables and even fuel mixture tables that all effect that value.

So, what i did was put 15 degrees of added timing to my timing tables, then went and subtracted the values from the coolant temp spark table, and also changed values in the coolant multiplier table. I still came up with my good timing tables and it commanded sane numbers. But, if they would have just used the high and low octain tables from my file, the data would have messed up anything they put them in obviosly..

Anyone can lock a pcm.. Anyone can unlock a pcm.

But, not everyone has access to the whole bin file to see what multipliers are in effect or other tables that are effecting final values in other peoples bin files...

So, What im saying is.. Even though that timing table looks bad, There could be other things in his bin file that are effecting final timing. the best way is to see the values in a scanner and watch what the actual timing commanded by the pcm really is...
Old 12-05-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wait4me
But, not everyone has access to the whole bin file to see what multipliers are in effect or other tables that are effecting final values in other peoples bin files...

What program would you need to view and edit information not included in HPTuners? Can you edit the raw bin file with a hex editor or something?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Hmm, this is interesting. I have talked to That tuner you speak of now that i remember, and well, Just how exactly did you get his file? That picture is of ls1edit and it wont read the operating system of the files that Chuck uses..??
I had shown him along time ago how to change the os numbers so his files would not be able to be read in any other tuning software..... Also, i have seen numourous files of his and i assure you that that is not the actual timing table he used on any vehicle... ????

So, i made a call today to talk to him....

I have the actual file from that guys car. That is not the timing table from it..... ??

Who are you exactly?

It is not nice to spread stuff that is not true on forums about people...

The car had blown a head gasket before the first tune was made, RIGHT?
And, the car had consumed alot of Coolant in that cylander, Correct.???

Well, it is a known fact that coolant does NOT compress.. So, on a high decell with lots of vacuum it is very easy that a car can suck in enough coolant into the chamber to weaken the piston and it would just be a matter of time before it took a crap on him...

Im not blaming either or.. But, Before you go posting crap about people you might want to do a little research on the facts before you go slandering someone..

lol, This is funny.. A search for your name on another corvette forum and you are promoting another company??
Old 12-05-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<rob snyder> CUT HIS FREEKING HEAD OFF!!! </rob snyder>
Old 12-05-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

ohh, and to answer the question for Guitsboy,

Efilive has 200 or so more perameters than The other guys for every year calibration.

That means editable perameters that the other doesnt show up.

there are over 4000 perameters/tables in an ls1 pcm. "os system included"

If you want to add any table that you would think is causing you issues, you can add them very easy in efilive.

one option is to Open a file with a CAX extension in the efilive folder and look at the format and you can add stuff to your cal files via this way, It is not very hard, All you do is name the file the same as your operating system you are using with a .cax at the end..

Or just email me and ill put it in for you. Or send it to efilive guys and have them put it in if it is causing me issues..

Quick Reply: Tuner PROBLEM LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!