Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

msd ignition for gen III for FI

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default msd ignition for gen III for FI

Does anyone know when the new MSD ignition box is going to come out for the Gen III\IV engine and do you know if it would be benefitial to a Forced Induction setup?? I tried posting this in PCM\Tuning but no one replied...I'm really curious if this would help...I'm sure it would help but it would probably take some more tuning because it might lean it out too much because of the multiple sparks under 3krpm...But then again boost really doesn't kick in until after then...Just wondering you guys think....
Old 12-14-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

i think its a waste of money.

you have 8 high output coils. EIGHT.
the coil wires are 1/4 the length of conventional wires.
theres no distributor gap to suckup power.

there are guys running insanely deep into the single digits on over 2bars of pressure on 100% stock ignition parts.

MSD would LOVE to have a chunk of the growing LSx market, but unfortunately for them, our ignition systems already kickass better power-wise then anything they make for conventional ignitions..

your money is better spent elsewhere.... thats why noone ever replys to the MSD threads except to talk crap about what a waste of money they are.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:30 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

With stuff like HPT, you run increase the dwell time of the stock coils, and of course you can run truck coils. That combo alone will run you into the 8's or 9's.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys, just found out some pretty good news about the msd ignition...They fabricated a harness to integrate into our stock coils or their coils...Their coils have Multiple sparks...Another cool feature that it has is a two step rev limiter...That is good news for drag racers...It also has a com port to link it to your computer so that you can adjust your timing for boost, nitrous, etc...It looks like a very cool piece and I think I'm going to use it just to see if it helps any...The ignition box is like $300 and the harness is somewhere around $50...The coils as you know are pretty expensive but I think I'm going to go ahead and upgrade to those...They are around $65 per coil...
Old 12-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yet again...... why?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
With stuff like HPT, you run increase the dwell time of the stock coils, and of course you can run truck coils. That combo alone will run you into the 8's or 9's.
Are the truck coils any different from LS1 coils?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bluecamaroz28
Are the truck coils any different from LS1 coils?
they are physically smaller, and are supposed to have a slightly hotter spark.
i havent seen any proof to back these claims, but then again, 98% of the guys here are not close to maxing out the stock coils... so its not like there's a bunch of people who could see the diff..
Old 12-20-2005, 07:44 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

The coils are multi-spark. It makes a difference, even on a bolt on car.

JA
Old 12-20-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Hey guys, I would like to point out an observation as a point of reference...

Now I have a Delteq setup on my LT1. It uses the Northstar ICM and 4 coils in a waste-spark setup. I have a farily agressive cam in my 383 LT1, and it tends to cause quite a bit of unburned fuel to go straight out the exhaust at idle due to overlap, which you can easily tell by the smell of the exhaust.

Now, I added a MSD DIS-4 Plus ignition system, primarily because I am supercharged, along with a set of the coil pack adapters and a set of MSD coils. Quite expensive overall, but I felt that having the 'extra' voltage can only help matters under boost.

One of the biggest things I noticed was due to the multiple sparks produced under 3000rpm the car idled MUCH better and had a greatly reduced idle 'smell', in that more of the mixture is actually getting burned and less 'unburned' is going out of the exhaust. I believe the major factor in that is not so much the 'hotter spark' but the increased spark dwell-time created by a mutiple sparks. I believe it fires for a full 20 degrees of crank rotation.

Just adding a data-point here for reference.

Also, don't the MSD coils have multiple-spark built into the coil themselves, thus the justification as to why the coils themselves are soo expensive?

If that is the case, then I don't see a reason for an ignition box, unless you want the timing control there over the pcm, and just see that a set of the coils are really what is advantageous for both a hotter spark and multi-spark capabilities... Or, did I miss something?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're correct in that but the ignition box has a lot of features that would be really beneficial to users that are running boost like us...I was looking on the Parts for sale and there was a person on there selling a two step for like $400...Now this comes with the kit plus a lot more for cheaper than that... If you want to know more on this then you should check it out on their website...the ignition box pn is 6010...It doesn't have capacitive dishcharge but the coils do have a hotter spark than the factory coils...I just think that people are over looking these and wanted to spread the news but if no one really cares then I guess I will test them out to see for myself how good they work..

Last edited by 98turbls1; 12-20-2005 at 09:23 PM. Reason: gramatical error
Old 12-20-2005, 09:48 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

I have the coils and they are multi-spark.

Smoother running engine
A little more torque
Lots more throttle respons
Less fuel smell at idle (especialy when cold)

I have a bolt on car and I am very happy I installed them. Once you have them, you will never want to take them off.

Thanks JA

on a
Old 12-20-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's what I'm trying to get through to the other people on here...I'm not saying that they are our saving grace but I would not discredit them due to the lack of testing...If they are kept to the same standards as the rest of MSD equipment they will be well worth their money...I'm up to try the ignition box just out of curiousity to see if it does have an effect that is noticable...I have to wait until I get out of the little sand box...Aka hell on earth..