Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F.A.S.T. XFI opinions and info

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F.A.S.T. XFI opinions and info

OK, i want to get peoples opinions on the new FAST XFI system. Everyone is using the BS3 system. I don't want to use this system the BS3 because it does not have nitrous functions. My current set-up is a high compression LT1 huge cam nitrous motor and will be changed to a high horsepower boost set-up latter, next year. I just wanted to see if people are using the XFI and how they like it for what ever combination they use it on.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lafnlt1
OK, i want to get peoples opinions on the new FAST XFI system. Everyone is using the BS3 system. I don't want to use this system the BS3 because it does not have nitrous functions. My current set-up is a high compression LT1 huge cam nitrous motor and will be changed to a high horsepower boost set-up latter, next year. I just wanted to see if people are using the XFI and how they like it for what ever combination they use it on.

Is this Pat?

I, too, want to do the new F.A.S.T. system for my F/I LT1. I'd love to see opinions on this product as well.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

I'm wondering the same thing. I have noticed that the hot ticket these days is the BS3, but I've found it doesn't have knock sensor functionality. The BS1 does, but that's a bank to bank and I wouldn't want that.

I hear that FAST does have it as an option.

Do you want to run nitrous or boost without knock retard?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

I sell and install these,most have been Buick V6s and Mustang 5.0.Let me know what kind of questions you have.
We have just released a fuel pressure,Oil pressure datalogging kits(includes sensors and wiring) So you can keep track of these.
Also we have driveshaft sensors to keep tabs on tirespin and convertor slip(on automatic cars)
We have been working on an EGT setup that should be done within the next few weeks also that will give the ability to datalog up to 8 EGTs at one time.

Let me know if i can help
Pm me for pricing if you like,include what motor your running.
Thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KLHAMMETT
I sell and install these,most have been Buick V6s and Mustang 5.0.Let me know what kind of questions you have.
We have just released a fuel pressure,Oil pressure datalogging kits(includes sensors and wiring) So you can keep track of these.
Also we have driveshaft sensors to keep tabs on tirespin and convertor slip(on automatic cars)
We have been working on an EGT setup that should be done within the next few weeks also that will give the ability to datalog up to 8 EGTs at one time.

Let me know if i can help
Pm me for pricing if you like,include what motor your running.
Thanks
so you would recommend this system?
Old 01-18-2006, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

I use one on my personal car, and we had a few issues with it in the beginning.
Setup is N/A high rpm heads-up class car running a 429ci LS1 based motor.
We couldn't even fire the car for three days without blowing two foot flames out the exhaust.
Finally after much discussion and help from Dave Henninger at FAST, it turns out I had the first version of the production run boxes and they were sending commands for the boxes they make now, which is apparently version 2.3.

Sure enough, right coding it fires right up first time, but the problem by this time was fuel wash on the rings from trying to fire for three days on a new motor.
I can live with that as we ended up with hairline crack on my spring seat on the head, and had to disassemble anyway.

We are still having an issue with trying to convert it over to sequential fire, but it could be in the wiring.
It was running on batch fire at the time we were dynoing.

I think in a power adder setup, the ability to log in record as much info as you can is a great benefit, which is what the XFI is capable of.

I know the BS3 plugs in everywhere, and the XFI uses a decoder for the crank signal, which worried me at first.
No one at FAST had spun one as high as I am going to and I wanted to be sure the signal would stay constant.

Bottom line, with the options of data logging the new XFI has, like Hammett brought up, and FAST's very good customer support, I think you would be happy with it.

I have no first hand experience with the BS3, but from some very reliable sources at other shops, I here support for the BS3 is difficult as there are only two people capable of helping with problems, John Meaney and his brother.
But, again, no first hand experience with it.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CMSDave
I use one on my personal car, and we had a few issues with it in the beginning.
Setup is N/A high rpm heads-up class car running a 429ci LS1 based motor.
We couldn't even fire the car for three days without blowing two foot flames out the exhaust.
Finally after much discussion and help from Dave Henninger at FAST, it turns out I had the first version of the production run boxes and they were sending commands for the boxes they make now, which is apparently version 2.3.

Sure enough, right coding it fires right up first time, but the problem by this time was fuel wash on the rings from trying to fire for three days on a new motor.
I can live with that as we ended up with hairline crack on my spring seat on the head, and had to disassemble anyway.

We are still having an issue with trying to convert it over to sequential fire, but it could be in the wiring.
It was running on batch fire at the time we were dynoing.

I think in a power adder setup, the ability to log in record as much info as you can is a great benefit, which is what the XFI is capable of.

I know the BS3 plugs in everywhere, and the XFI uses a decoder for the crank signal, which worried me at first.
No one at FAST had spun one as high as I am going to and I wanted to be sure the signal would stay constant.

Bottom line, with the options of data logging the new XFI has, like Hammett brought up, and FAST's very good customer support, I think you would be happy with it.

I have no first hand experience with the BS3, but from some very reliable sources at other shops, I here support for the BS3 is difficult as there are only two people capable of helping with problems, John Meaney and his brother.
But, again, no first hand experience with it.

what do you spin your motor at? because my current set-up lives at about 8000 on spray, you said that FAST has not seen high rpm motors yet on this system.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

so you would recommend this system?
Absolutley,Although I do not have any exp with the other systems mentioned.I had the older fast unit in my car for since 99,before i updated to the XFI system.The XFI is an incredible value over the old system as they all come sequential with individual cylinder controls,Those 2 options alone on the older system made it run close to or over 3 grand,An XFI with everything(minus map and 02 bung)can be had for around 2000.(LS1 a bit more for the EDIST box)Very user friendly.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Also after talking to Lance Ward today (senior systems designer) He told me that the Edist 2 is being tested now ,but no release date as of yet,But with the EDIST2 you will not need a crank decoder for the ls1 and it will be capable of running the ls2 24 and 58 tooth crank signal.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

what do you spin your motor at? because my current set-up lives at about 8000 on spray, you said that FAST has not seen high rpm motors yet on this system.
Hey by using an EDIST box you would be able to do away with the opti spark and install coil on plug igntion on the LT1,You would use hte opti only for a cam sync signal,and crank signal if its not 96-97 with a crank sensor,

As far as RPM we have regu;arly run 7500 rpm on a V6 with no issues using a MSD distributor with a 7AL2 ignition box
Old 01-18-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

good deal, the only thing is that i do want to keep the opti, i want to go well into the 8's with one. i am currently testing one of my prototypes that i modified and put together to see how much abuse this opti will take.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

They(FAST), had mentioned that to us as well about the EDIST2 box eliminating the crank decoder.

8500-9000rpm is the projected shift point with the new cam.

WE originally thought it would be 10k with the Hogan, but that's not the case yet.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

You will need the opti to disperse the spark and use as a trigger any way unless you went coil on plug.So keeping the opti is a must that way.What year is your car? Using hte 96-97 cover with the factory crank sensor would be the better way,You get a more accurate signal reference from the crank,A loose timing chain can change timing on a fast system if you use the distributor for a crank reference
Old 01-18-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

very true, any time the motor is torn down, i will usally replace the timing chain anyway, cheap insurence, and yes, it is an updated vented opti and cover.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

cmsdave,what is the revision number?2.23 or 2.3?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I had a FAST + eDist for the LS1, it was very annoying getting it to work. My friend had to make the harness from scratch.

The eDist setup is a patchwork solution, and if you don't know what you are doing it's hell to wire it all up. I sold mine all assembled for a killer deal, only because I was having an ignition problem at 750rwhp. FAST's solution at the time was to give me a contact at MSD who would sell me two DIS4's, non-hot coils, and a new set of wires for only $1400.

BS3 is what I have now. It plugs in, and the support is great. John Meaney posts on here as 'timemachine' and he's posted his cell number many times.

Dave Henninger is very friendly and helpful, but I had a so/so experience with Lance, and having a $4,000 aftermarket setup was very unappealing. If FAST just let you adjust the dwell time of the coils it would address most of the problem.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Another thing to keep in mind is whether you plan to wire stuff up as a piggyback or you plan to remove the stock computer... might want to research that.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

my car is already a stand alone system, no factory computer, it uses a system that is older then me, accel gen 6
Old 01-19-2006, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by silkey
cmsdave,what is the revision number?2.23 or 2.3?
Mine is a 2.1 and the revision was 2.3
Old 01-20-2006, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

anyone try and tune the fast without the map sensor?do i really need it if its just n/a only?