Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought a laptop. how to connect to car

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought a laptop. how to connect to car

like the topic states. what is the piece called and where can i buy it that connect the laptop to the connector in my 01 TA?
Old 03-13-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, first off you have to have an edit program installed on your laptop along with the cable to link to your car. You don`t just buy a cable and link it to your laptop.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i know i need software.. that is easy.... i am just trying to find the name of the cord and what companies sell it.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

When you buy an edit program, the cable and everything you need to perform the operation comes with it. I wouldn`t be looking for a cable, I`d be looking for an edit program if I were you.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Go to www.efilive.com. They have all you need.

Bill
Old 03-13-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

efilive or auto tap?
Old 03-13-2006, 07:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

www.hptuners.com supports GXP's too
Old 03-13-2006, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

I'm confused on HP tuners. The software looks amazing, and I would like to purchase some. The "credit's" thing has me puzzeled. Do I have to have credits to gte a lisence, to be able to tune my car? How do I get credits? What the hell are credits?
Old 03-13-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want just Scanning only, look at AutoTap or EFILive.
If you want Scanning and Tuning, look at HPTuners or EFILive.

Do NOT ask which is better;
search the forum for threads on these and decide for yourself.

Either way, you need a cable and the software that comes with it.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6FTW
I'm confused on HP tuners. The software looks amazing, and I would like to purchase some. The "credit's" thing has me puzzeled. Do I have to have credits to gte a lisence, to be able to tune my car? How do I get credits? What the hell are credits?
Credits are just that... credit towards other items... you buy the cable, you get 8 credits... you look at the order page and see that a VIN locked GENIII motor is 2 credits... so to do a VIN locked tune, you need 2 credits... 8 - 2 = 6 so you would have 6 credits to do whatever else you wnted

you can do whatever you want w/the credits, buy more, etc.... this is all detailed on the orders page and in the FAQ section ...

6 credits for unlimited year/model... 2 for VIN lock (these apply to GEN III vehicles as identified on the order page) ... this way you're not locked down to having to identify what you want at purchase... you can apply these credits however you see fit (you don't even have to use them all... you could use 2 for a VIN locked license just for your car and leave the other 6 for later use... ) also note that 8 credits is not th elimit (credits are unlimited) it's just what the cable comes with on new purchase (http://www.hptuners.com/order.php shows how many credits different upgrades and vehicles are)

Also as mentioned, to see what software's available check out the stickies, there's one that provides search terms, web sites, etc... for your own research (due to some people we can't have any comparative, which is better type threads as they quickly evolve into a big pile of crap...) (the cable is an OBDII to Serial cable... but there is no generic one you can buy ... if you use HP Tuners, must have the HPT cable, EFI Live must have the EFI cable, etc...)
Old 03-14-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks horist you did best job of explaining it at the end with each program has a diff type obd-II scanner cord