PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outgrown Crane Power Tuner! HPTuners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Outgrown Crane Power Tuner! HPTuners?

Been having fun with my Crane Power Tuner until I installed composite ported MAF ends and SLP Bellow. Car runs great at WOT and low end torque/throttle response has increased. The idle though is fubar'ed everytime I reprogram or make adjustments. Wants to stall and sometimes stumbles until the VCM learns/corrects. I've tried eveything and it appears that the only working combo is to increase fuel enrichment 5% to 10%. I guess it's adjustments are along the lines of a MAF Translator. I've thrown a DTC lean code several times and cleared it. Sick of not knowing what is going on inside the VCM and waiting for a DTC to know it's seriously out of calibration.
I just bought a laptop (P4 3.06GHz, 80G, 512M, 15.4") and I've been reading though this forums HPTuners and EFILive posts... I'm itchin' to get into this VCM and tweak. I know lots of you state to replace the OEM MAF but damn, SD or a finely tuned ported MAF sounds like real fun!!
You all have some seriously intense **** going on in your tunes and posts.
I want in!

I'd rather spend the cash on a torque converter but it's gotta run right before I can play.

So set me up here... Should I? And which one for a computer savy but tuner program novice, HP or EFI? Please don't refer me to the multiple posts already made, give me your opinion based on my situation. Future mods: cam, converter and anything else I can get my hands on

Many thanks!
Old 03-21-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't go wrong with either HP Tuners or EFI Live, both are excellent solutions and easy to use (once you get to know the basics of the PCM)

Both have active forums and an active community (asking which is best is a loaded question and basically results in "xyz is best because that's what I use" ... guys I'm leaving this open, if it turns into any resemblance of a flamewar locks and timeouts may be given, so keep it civil)

Either package can tune for the mods you have and lots more (see my sig... I used to use LS1 Edit, then switched to HPT and haven't looked back... car runs great other than some hardware (trans and valve spring) issues I've had... and I've got a few more mods than you're planning for now heh)
Old 03-21-2006, 06:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My personal experience was I had no prior tuning experience other then hpp on my 98 S-10...ended up buying hptuners & tuning my heads/cam 98 camaro...since then I've had my hands on about 60 other cars. Very user friendly with great help on a very active forum. check out the help file for hptuners at www.hptuners.com/help and if you get a chance look over the program. If you have anything more specific to ask just pm me & I'll try and give you whatever info I can.

lata
Bill
Old 03-21-2006, 06:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DRGnFLYZ28
Been having fun with my Crane Power Tuner until I installed composite ported MAF ends and SLP Bellow. Car runs great at WOT and low end torque/throttle response has increased. The idle though is fubar'ed everytime I reprogram or make adjustments. Wants to stall and sometimes stumbles until the VCM learns/corrects. I've tried eveything and it appears that the only working combo is to increase fuel enrichment 5% to 10%. I guess it's adjustments are along the lines of a MAF Translator. I've thrown a DTC lean code several times and cleared it. Sick of not knowing what is going on inside the VCM and waiting for a DTC to know it's seriously out of calibration.
I just bought a laptop (P4 3.06GHz, 80G, 512M, 15.4") and I've been reading though this forums HPTuners and EFILive posts... I'm itchin' to get into this VCM and tweak. I know lots of you state to replace the OEM MAF but damn, SD or a finely tuned ported MAF sounds like real fun!!
You all have some seriously intense **** going on in your tunes and posts.
I want in!

I'd rather spend the cash on a torque converter but it's gotta run right before I can play.

So set me up here... Should I? And which one for a computer savy but tuner program novice, HP or EFI? Please don't refer me to the multiple posts already made, give me your opinion based on my situation. Future mods: cam, converter and anything else I can get my hands on

Many thanks!
You can't go wrong with either EFILIVE or HPT, both are excellent solutions and easy to use (once you get to know the basics of the PCM) , I used to use LS1 edit and then upgrade to HPT and used the EFILIVE V7 scanner , then when EFILIVE Flashscan was released I upgraded again to that as I feel it has a lot better scanning and support as well as they offered free software upgrades for life of the product and great deals to upgrade the hardware as it developed. I now also have LS2edit for the new stuff until EFILIVE release there next version of hardware for the LS2.

Lots of people have upgraded from HPT to Flashscan , I have never heard of anyone going from Flashscan to HPT yet except as a intermum measure until LS2 software is released.

There are some great forums for help such as EFILIVE Forum and you can also download a full working version of the efilive software at EFILIVE SOFTWARE to play around with and get a feel for the software before shelling out you hard earned $$$
Old 03-21-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont forget to demo both software solutions first.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Both have active forums and an active community (asking which is best is a loaded question and basically results in "xyz is best because that's what I use" ...
Good point! Thanks for the quick reply Mike

My personal experience was I had no prior tuning experience other then hpp on my 98 S-10...ended up buying hptuners & tuning my heads/cam 98 camaro...since then I've had my hands on about 60 other cars. Very user friendly with great help on a very active forum. check out the help file for hptuners at www.hptuners.com/help and if you get a chance look over the program. If you have anything more specific to ask just pm me & I'll try and give you whatever info I can
HPP to HP... that's how I'm thinking. Still digging around the site. Thanks Bill

you can also download a full working version of the efilive software at EFILIVE SOFTWARE to play around with and get a feel for the software before shelling out you hard earned $$$
I didn't know they have demo software. Might you have the file name? Lots of downloads on that page. Most appreciated

dont forget to demo both software solutions first.
Absolutely! Might you have the HP filename to download? thank you
Old 03-22-2006, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

efi lets you open and read tunes etc with their software so you can see what it does etc. Ive looked for the equivalent with hpt, but havnt found it yet, just some animated non-useable demo's
Old 03-22-2006, 06:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

HP Tuners does not have a downloadable demo software currently, however every screen shot is documented in the help file (www.hptuners.com/help/) (as well as descriptions of each table)
Old 03-22-2006, 06:45 AM
Teching In

I purchased HP Tuners last year and it was awesome! Im not very computer nowledgable, but was able to figure out HP Tuners really fast (especially thanks the people on the HP Tuners forum and here that answered some of my stupid questions)

I included my cable with my car when I sold it (stupid i know since my HP Tuners wasn't VIN locked I coulda sold it to someone else or I could have kept it and just added a new unlocked license ) I'm definetly going to be a repeat customer though. When I had questions about HP Tuners I got responses fast that were exact (especially about LS2 tuning when my dad had his corvette, the other guys left an unpleasant taste in my mouth due to the way they answered my LS2 questions)
Old 03-22-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

I would stay away from any "hand held" tuner. I have my preferance on which program to use after using all that are available and that is hands down EFILive. Both Live and HPT accomplish the same thing its just how you get there. If you need any information on EFILive or pricing, let me know and I can work with you.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DRGnFLYZ28
Might you have the file name? Lots of downloads on that page. Most appreciated
DRGnFLY,

Goto http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx and click on the .exe filename (under the heading "EFILive V7.3.1 Setup") and download/install on your PC.

Then after install is complete...

Open the tune tool, then go File->Open and open a sample .tun file from "My Documents->EFILive->V7->Bins" and play with the tune.

Open the scan tool, and then open sample .efi log file from "My Documents"->EFILive->V7->Logged Data".
Old 03-23-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Chad, I'll keep your info close at hand, thanks

joecar, that is the link I need. Going to download and see for myself. Most appreciated.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

i have a 2000 m6 vette,is hp tuner or efi live more or less the same?i want something with the most support since i never tuned or played with a ecm that deep,sorry to bring up the thread but i rather not start another and beat a dead horse .
Old 03-25-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Sent you a PM jocko.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jocko
i have a 2000 m6 vette,is hp tuner or efi live more or less the same?i want something with the most support since i never tuned or played with a ecm that deep,sorry to bring up the thread but i rather not start another and beat a dead horse .
The only simalarity that I see is the fact they both tune ls1's other then that they are vastly different in many ways. From what vehicles they support to their OS layouts to the hardware they use. Both will tune your 00 Vette very well but each offer its own added benefits that might help you make your decision. Check out both of their sites for further info but dont be afraid to ask specific questions.