Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trex / severe missing

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trex / severe missing

The motor is an 02 with a trex and boltons. Stock injectors. We've got the idle dialed in at ~1000rpms, but any load / reving causes severe missing. Now, the tune is far from done and I don't expect it to be perfect, but the car barely moves with all of the misfires. The a/f is not unreasonable in the 13-15 range and timing in the 30s. Am I missing from the tune or do I physically have a problem? I tuned a buddys trex car, exact set up as mine, and nothing we did with his makes any difference on my car. The plugs need to be changed, but that is a given when tuning a car. I have a very hard time believing that my slightly fouled plugs are causing my severe missing. I will, however, change them tomorrow and see if it makes any difference. Plug wires are new msds. Before the cam, I had a very slight idle miss but no driveability issues whatsoever. Did I break a coilpack or two? I have absolutely not codes being thrown that are relevant to any problems. Anyone have any ideas here?

Attached is a short log. Don't mind pointing out the obviously off portions of the tune, like I said there wasn't much tuning done because of the trouble. The miss was equally bad everywhere, good a/f and timing or otherwise.

http://www.indyhpmedia.com/index.php...le=badmiss.hpl
Old 03-30-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

MAF or SD?
Open or closed loop?

What kind of exhaust is on it and where do you have the wideband installed?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

sd, open loop. Open headers, ~12" of pipe between the wideband (in the header collector, passenger side) and open air. Readings are accurate, previously dyno verified.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:55 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you by chance turn off the MAF tests rather than the light? That's a common error that would give the symptoms described. I would scan back through it or take it out of SD and install the MAF as a test and go from there. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
Did you by chance turn off the MAF tests rather than the light? That's a common error that would give the symptoms described. I would scan back through it or take it out of SD and install the MAF as a test and go from there. Good luck!

That was my issue earlier in the day, but that is corrected. The car would only idle for ~2 seconds with it like that.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd clear the learned memory by unhooking the battery, and put in some fresh plugs gapped at around .030" to continue.

You might need to scale back your VE tables by 10 - 20 % to start out just to see what happens.
An easier & quicker way to a solution there is to borrow someones VE that runs OLSD and your cam.

With your size cam you may be pretty high on your VE at idle. How did you get the idle A/F to clean up? Was it by changing just a few cells in the VE?
Old 03-31-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 530 Likes on 374 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Since you're running open loop anyway, a cam that size will probably transition off idle better if you richen the idle up to around 12-13 instead of 13-15 a/f.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by white2001s10
I'd clear the learned memory by unhooking the battery, and put in some fresh plugs gapped at around .030" to continue.

You might need to scale back your VE tables by 10 - 20 % to start out just to see what happens.
An easier & quicker way to a solution there is to borrow someones VE that runs OLSD and your cam.

With your size cam you may be pretty high on your VE at idle. How did you get the idle A/F to clean up? Was it by changing just a few cells in the VE?

Like I said, I tuned a buddy's trex car (exact same setup and OLSD) and his maps don't work at all on my car. Timing or fuel. That is why I think there is something wrong.

As for my idle, the ve table is modified, but not just a couple of idle cells.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

maybe you could post up your VE table and say where you're idling?
Old 03-31-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post your tune, there might be many other miscalibrations in there (IFR, cylinder volume being the usual suspects)
is your VE fully tuned or did you just use some 'ballpark' table?
Old 03-31-2006, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

It is ballpark at best, the car couldn't move good enoguh to do any real tuning. I'll post the tune here in a bit. I am gonna try changing plugs and see what happens.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

Well, I got the issue straightened out. I drove the car this morning and it felt significantly better (flooded from a day of heavy rich idle tuning, maybe?), so I went ahead and dropped in new plugs. I've almost got the tune squared away now and she pulls hard. Now I just have to get used to shifting at 7k instead of 6k. lol