Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OLFA vs. PE

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OLFA vs. PE

Why does everyone use PE to adjust WOT fueling and don't do anything to the OLFA table?

According to the help section in HP tuners.....

Open Loop Mode

Open Loop F/A vs. Coolant Temp vs. MAP: This table is used to determine the commanded AFR when in open loop mode. It divides the Stoich AFR value. AFR is determined by 14.7/table value. Example: 14.7/1.30 = 11.3 AFR

Power Enrichment

V8 Power Enrich Fuel Multiplier vs. RPM: This is the main table that is used to tune WOT fuel for post 1999 V8 engines. The values in this table are Fuel/Air multipliers (or AFR divisors) ie. values greater than 1 are richer, values less than one are leaner. The values relate directly to the Stoich AFR and the resulting commanded AFR is Stoich divided by this PE multiplier. Eg. if the multiplier is 1.1 then the commanded AFR will be 14.7/1.1 or 13.36.

Shouldn't commanded and actual fueling coincide with each other?
Old 04-18-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Because there's not trigger to go to the OLFA table like there is the PE table. When you floor it, the enablers point to PE (TPS%, MAP pressure, etc.). Also, PE allows for AFR tuning based on RPM's, which will change across a broader range than MAP pressure will when you floor it. That way, you can command a different AFR for peak torque than you would for peak horsepower (which is what you want to do). The OLFA was designed more as a backup for situations where closed loop is not available (ie startup, sensor failure, etc.).
Old 04-18-2006, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Beware, if OL table is richer than commanded PE you WILL get the richer of the too.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Beware, if OL table is richer than commanded PE you WILL get the richer of the too.
The stock OLFA table is 1.13 at WOT for my car.

So, if you adjust your PE to less than 1.13, it won't lean out more?

No wonder leaning out my PE didn't do anything.......

Right now, my PE is back to 1.15 though.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also keep in mind you'd have to tune it by map rather then rpm...dont get me wrong you could tune it using olfa but in the end I believe the rpm scale is much easier.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverTA2002
The stock OLFA table is 1.13 at WOT for my car.

So, if you adjust your PE to less than 1.13, it won't lean out more?

No wonder leaning out my PE didn't do anything.......

Right now, my PE is back to 1.15 though.
Correct. I discovered this problem on the dyno, I wasted 30 minutes trying to figure out why it wasn't leaning out.

In a perfect world your pe table should be 1.13 (14.7/1.13=13.00)
Old 04-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Correct. I discovered this problem on the dyno, I wasted 30 minutes trying to figure out why it wasn't leaning out.

In a perfect world your pe table should be 1.13 (14.7/1.13=13.00)

Where did you find the perfect world afr of 13:1? I always heard, used, and seen 12.5'ish reporting better results than 13.00. I run mine richer than that to peak torque, and then slightly lean it out, still richer than 13.0:1 for peak HP. In PE I never see something as lean as 13:1.

Not sure I would even mess with the OLFA. If you tune your PE on a nice curve, then whats the need for having OLFA richer to get peak torque? Why not use the PE to richen up peak TQ? I leave my OLFA about .5 leaner than the PE in case for some reason it goes out of PE and into OLFA, MAF Failure or whatever it is, but I will still be rich enough to run the spray. And yes, I run richer than 13:1 NA also.

Original post quotes HPTuners:

V8 Power Enrich Fuel Multiplier vs. RPM: This is the main table that is used to tune WOT fuel for post 1999 V8 engines.

Why ask why?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:43 PM
12 Second Club

Why ask why? The better I understand how it works, the better I can tune my car.

The more I learn how things "should be done" the more I realize how many people take the "easy way out" and don't touch tables because they don't understand them.

It's one thing to leave certain tables alone because you SHOULDN't mess with them, but another if they're just "complicated" to tune.

It sounds like the OLFA table is a "fall back" if MAF fails.

But, isn't that kinda how the VE table is described? But tuning the VE properly makes a BIG difference. Then again, I don't think there's a part throttle fueling table like PE is for mid to full throttle.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverTA2002
Why ask why? The better I understand how it works, the better I can tune my car.

The more I learn how things "should be done" the more I realize how many people take the "easy way out" and don't touch tables because they don't understand them.

It's one thing to leave certain tables alone because you SHOULDN't mess with them, but another if they're just "complicated" to tune.

It sounds like the OLFA table is a "fall back" if MAF fails.

But, isn't that kinda how the VE table is described? But tuning the VE properly makes a BIG difference. Then again, I don't think there's a part throttle fueling table like PE is for mid to full throttle.
I was under the impression that the OLFA table was in case of O2 sensor failure. Hence, people use this table that are running SD w/o narrowband O2's and w/ WBO2.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAT3
Where did you find the perfect world afr of 13:1? I always heard, used, and seen 12.5'ish reporting better results than 13.00. I run mine richer than that to peak torque, and then slightly lean it out, still richer than 13.0:1 for peak HP. In PE I never see something as lean as 13:1.

Not sure I would even mess with the OLFA. If you tune your PE on a nice curve, then whats the need for having OLFA richer to get peak torque? Why not use the PE to richen up peak TQ? I leave my OLFA about .5 leaner than the PE in case for some reason it goes out of PE and into OLFA, MAF Failure or whatever it is, but I will still be rich enough to run the spray. And yes, I run richer than 13:1 NA also.

Original post quotes HPTuners:

V8 Power Enrich Fuel Multiplier vs. RPM: This is the main table that is used to tune WOT fuel for post 1999 V8 engines.

Why ask why?
What about 98 PCM Vehicles
Old 04-19-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I was under the impression that the OLFA table was in case of O2 sensor failure. Hence, people use this table that are running SD w/o narrowband O2's and w/ WBO2.
That's what I was thinking.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody got an answer for this???
Old 04-20-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

OLFA is for those people who get in the car and go while its cold. its a safe fueling. It cant use the ve or maf since its in open loop until its warm. Just because these guys are running SD w/ a WB doesnt mean they're running off the OLFA tables. If they're running a sd OL tune, then yes. The WB is just to ensure that your a/f is what it says it is (provided its calibrated correctly. OLFA is also used when its richer than the PE tables to be safe. Im sure if im wrong, I will be corrected
Nino
Old 04-20-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

im pretty sure 98 pcms use the PE table just like the 99's+ again, someone correct me if im wrong. ive never tuned anything other than my 99 and no autos.

Quick Reply: OLFA vs. PE