How to Log your wideband with HpTuners without a EIO

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How to Log your wideband with HpTuners without a EIO

this is really really easy!

first, heres the basic idea.
the PCM has several inputs that are not required for its operation. this example will be using the AC pressure input.
if you input the wideband voltage directly to the PCM, you can log it in HPtuners.
HPtuners can be setup to automatically calculate it out to a AFR (and AFR error percentage), just like if you had a EIO.
you can then wideband tune, in the same manner that you would if you had the EIO!
interested? heres how i did it:

Wiring setup ( all car wiring refers to 99-02fbody ):

if you unplug the AC pressure sensor, there are 3 wires connected to it. the RED/Black wire (red with black stripe) is the AC pressure sensor. you may buy a connector to plug into this (i suggest asking one of the many wiring/harness vendors on here) or you can do as i did, and cut it.
this is the wire that the widebands output will be going to.

for the Wideband grounds OTHER then the heater, use one of the PCM grounds. suggestions are the back of the head, the ground behind the kickpanel, any other ground in the PCM harness.
(for the wideband heater, i suggest something far away from the other grounds to prevent noise..)
for the rest of the wideband wiring, do it however you normally would... (ign on power, ect..)

Wideband setup

My wideband is a LC1. your procedure may differ if you have a different wideband...
turn on the wideband.
open LM programmer
on the second output (the one you wired in above):
set it to 10:1 AFR at 0v
set it to 18:1 AFR at 5v
open the advanced button, and select 1/6. this is important.
click the program button to program the LC1.

you should be all set.

Software setup

First, lets see if you setup your wideband correctly.
open up logworks and turn on the wideband.. you should be able to connect and see the current AFR. if you start the car, it should move around.

(quick sidenote: My laptop has only one serial port. the LC1 is serial, and the HPtuner cable is serial. Im using a USB Keyspan Serial adapter so i can have both connected.)

open up HPtuners scanner.
before you connect goto the table. right click and select insert.
in the insert Dialog, open system->A/C and select "AC Pressure (V)"

this lets you watch your A/C pressure input that you connected the wideband to.

now with the car off, start the scanner.. it will read zero until the wideband heats up. then it should read a voltage at or close to 5. this is to make sure the input is working correctly. if your voltage is at or very close to 5, great... if its off, try moving your ground around.. if you didnt solder the AC pressure wire to the wideband output, try re-connecting it... mine worked perfect for me the first time, but i soldered everything.

Scanner setup and testing:

OK, lets step back... we now have our wideband installed and setup. we can see the voltage. now lets learn a bit about HPtuners...
PIDs... i have no idea what PID stands for. however its what HPtuners calls any input other then a sensor. you can make custom PIDs, and thats what we need to do so we see a AFR instead of a voltage.

open up the scanner again. open the table, rightclick and select insert.
in the insert PID dialog select "User Defined"
double click the "Configure User Defined" selection. the Configure dialog should come up.

lets get familiar with what we're looking at.
click the existing default ones.. you'll see this "function" text at the bottom change... its like a math equation, except instead of variables, there are things that look like this in there: [SENS.120].....

now click the blue help circle.
the "HPT Custom Function, Filter and Trigger Help" window should come up.
you'll see the same [PID.123] kind of things, with the name of what it is next to it.

pretty simple when you start looking at it.
my PID for the AC pressure was: [PID.7101] (your mileage may vary. void where prohibited )

so this is the variable with the voltage of our wideband. now for a little math.

remember we set the output to 10 and 18? well.. that makes a range of 8. (18 - 10)
we have a 5 volt range to work with.
so 5 volts with a range of 8 is 5/8
5/8 = .625

and the start of the range is 10.

total equation is
(Voltage / .625 ) + 10

with me? no? well my teacher always said i sucked at showing proofs. lol. see soundengineers posts on the subject.. hes made several.
continuing onward...

if the equation is

(Voltage / .625 ) + 10

all we have to do is plug in the voltage from our PID above.

([PID.7101]/.625)+10

GREAT! we have our function.. now what?

click on one of the "undefined" functions. give it a name and a shortname.. i used "Travis Wideband" and "T WB"
for units, select AFR (its at the bottom)
for the function... just put in what we had above.. "(Voltage / .625 ) + 10"

we have our first PID!!

goto the table, and insert our new PID..
turn the key/wideband on
open logworks,
start HPtuners scanner.
start the car.
once the wideband warms up, the logworks AFR should match your HPtuners AFR...

you're almost there!!
you just need one more PID.... the AFR percent error.

i'll save you the trouble and post mine:

100*((([PID.7101]/.625)+10) -[SENS.121])/[SENS.121]

you'll notice, its the same AFR equation, with sensor 121 (commanded AFR)

once you have these two PIDs, you can go wideband tune, in the same manner as you would if you had the EIO. just go read all the wideband tuning threads, and have at it.

im sure there will be alot of questions, esp since i wrote this while watching mythbusters...im sure i dont make sense everywhere... lol.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I have a question. Probably a really dumb one....

What's an EIO?

All I can think of is "old macdonald had a farm......."
Old 04-26-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this back in the day with LS1EDIT and EFILive. It works, but is kind of a pain in the ***.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

good work... added as a sticky... we'll leave it up for a few days, then unsticky it (it's in the main FAQ)
Old 04-28-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

testing a theory... I theorize that there will be more people reading this when it's not stickied....
Old 04-28-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by horist
testing a theory... I theorize that there will be more people reading this when it's not stickied....
Old 04-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Thank You MrDude_1 !
Old 04-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Great info! I plan to use this with the EGR instead of A/C and use the LC-1 for the narrowband as well. LC-1 should be here shortly.

And Horist...I read it when it was stickied first anyways.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SICK WS 6
Great info! I plan to use this with the EGR instead of A/C and use the LC-1 for the narrowband as well. LC-1 should be here shortly.

And Horist...I read it when it was stickied first anyways.

I am hooked up through the EGR right now with narrowband working. Now I have to get the custom PIDs working.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

great write up! Umm, add me for one that read it unsticky'd
Old 04-29-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Junkie

LMAO!!

i actually thought that myself when i first saw it stickied..

anyhoo... i love this setup.. im going to order a plug for the other half of the ac pressure plug... make my LC1 more portable.. then i can switch this between my car and a couple friends...
Old 04-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Launching!

open up the scanner again. open the table, rightclick and select insert.
in the insert PID dialog select "User Defined"
double click the "Configure User Defined" selection. the Configure dialog should come up.
I am not seeing this part in HPTuner. Tell me more, please. I am using Hptuner VCM Scanner Version 1.7.0 What version are you using????
Old 04-30-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nitenshinarmor
I am not seeing this part in HPTuner. Tell me more, please. I am using Hptuner VCM Scanner Version 1.7.0 What version are you using????

Those features are in 2.x , it should be on your customer logon page for download, if not email support to get an updated version of the software
Old 04-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Those features are in 2.x , it should be on your customer logon page for download, if not email support to get an updated version of the software
I went to thier website and yes you are right. I remember now, I had a problem with the update because of the "Microsoft .net framework 1.1". I downloaded it as requested but the upgrade/update would not take. Horist do you know what I need to do to get this to update???
Old 04-30-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

horist, just thought of an idea for solution if your experiment proves true. Maybe when a new sticky gets posted make it have a red background, and at the bottom of the stickies before the threads start. Iono, i read this forum to much and therefore just disregard the yellow part because i read that when i first came and it usually doesnt change often.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

does anyone know which pcm input could be used on a 2006 silverado.
-no egr valve
-cant seem to find anything from the A/C circuit

Thanks,
Jason
Old 05-04-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have to buy the LC-1 Wideband controller kit for this or can you just use the LC-1 Controller cable (Innovate Motorsports LC-1 Wideband Controller Cable & O2 Sensor) for this?

*edit* Or can you be really cheap and just buy the sensor and wire everything yourself?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bad Habit Bird
Do you have to buy the LC-1 Wideband controller kit for this or can you just use the LC-1 Controller cable (Innovate Motorsports LC-1 Wideband Controller Cable & O2 Sensor) for this?

i dont know what the kit is... but im just using the regular LC1 cable, with one of the outputs wired into the PCM....

smit2732:
any 5v input to the PCM that doesnt directly effect the running of the car can be used.
i used the AC pressure because i dont have EGR, the wire was right there, and it doesnt effect how the car operates.

possible sources for you could be the fuel level, fuel tank purge, EGR input... but im pretty sure theres a AC pressure input... i recall mine was a little hard to find in there to log... i think it was under system in the PID list....
Old 05-04-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is this what you are using?

LC-1
Old 05-04-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nitenshinarmor
I went to thier website and yes you are right. I remember now, I had a problem with the update because of the "Microsoft .net framework 1.1". I downloaded it as requested but the upgrade/update would not take. Horist do you know what I need to do to get this to update???

download .net 1.1 then download hptuners 2.1.6

Quick Reply: How to Log your wideband with HpTuners without a EIO