PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code P0601 showing up after I incorrectly flashed my PCM w/ new 2Bar SD from HPTuners

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Code P0601 showing up after I incorrectly flashed my PCM w/ new 2Bar SD from HPTuners

OK, I wish that I had never even messed with the OS in my 98 Z28.

Recently, HPTuners released a new (beta) 2Bar SD OS for the 98's. I got on their list to try it out as I was dying to get rid of the low resolution secondary VE table. I did all of the steps except for one critical one. I pushed the button to "write calibration only" instead of "Writing entire". It seemed to write the new file ok. It finished, I closed out and turned the key to start the car and it would just crank but not start. I took the key out and put it back in and noticed that the fuel pump wouldn't prime. So it just cranks and no fuel. Next I hooked the laptop back up to the car and tried to put my old tune back in. It keeps failing at "preparing VCM". I closed out the Editor and opened the scanner to discover that I am getting this code P0601 which means that the PCM is in read only mode or something. I have been sending e-mails back and forth to the support team over at HPTUners and the last one said to take the PCM out of the car and take it to my dealer and they should be able to clear it up. I called the dealer and told them what was going on and they said that 1) they can't do anything without the car as they have no way to hook up to the computer and 2) the tech manual says that if you get that code, you have to replace the PCM and reprogram the new one with all of the cars information. So, I should have just left it alone and never done this switch. I just figured that it was better and I had the extra credits to burn. If what the dealership is telling me is correct, I am looking at close to $1,000 in parts and labor to fix this problem.

Someone please shine a light on this and tell me that there is another solution.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow ..................
Old 04-27-2006, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Some dealers have a bench flasher where they've rigged up a wiring harness/battery so they don't need the car - but it's pretty uncommon at dealer service since that requires some common sense.

Besides, the dealer service dept. wants your car in there so they can generate a service order and $$.

They should be able to rewrite your entire PCM with the Tech II, they will need your VIN # and car info to download your factory tune into the Tech II and then use the Tech II to program the PCM.

If the PCM is in a state where the Tech II can't rewrite it, you may indeed need a new PCM. Someone on this board has cheap ones, can't remember who offhand, but ask/look around if you need a new one to save some $$. Hope that's not the case with yours, good luck.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 04-27-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
OK, I wish that I had never even messed with the OS in my 98 Z28.

Recently, HPTuners released a new (beta) 2Bar SD OS for the 98's. I got on their list to try it out as I was dying to get rid of the low resolution secondary VE table. I did all of the steps except for one critical one. I pushed the button to "write calibration only" instead of "Writing entire". It seemed to write the new file ok. It finished, I closed out and turned the key to start the car and it would just crank but not start. I took the key out and put it back in and noticed that the fuel pump wouldn't prime. So it just cranks and no fuel. Next I hooked the laptop back up to the car and tried to put my old tune back in. It keeps failing at "preparing VCM". I closed out the Editor and opened the scanner to discover that I am getting this code P0601 which means that the PCM is in read only mode or something. I have been sending e-mails back and forth to the support team over at HPTUners and the last one said to take the PCM out of the car and take it to my dealer and they should be able to clear it up. I called the dealer and told them what was going on and they said that 1) they can't do anything without the car as they have no way to hook up to the computer and 2) the tech manual says that if you get that code, you have to replace the PCM and reprogram the new one with all of the cars information. So, I should have just left it alone and never done this switch. I just figured that it was better and I had the extra credits to burn. If what the dealership is telling me is correct, I am looking at close to $1,000 in parts and labor to fix this problem.

Someone please shine a light on this and tell me that there is another solution.

Thanks in advance.

ok, first heres what happened.. you took part of the program, and wrote it over part of another program... obviously, this makes a corrupt program that cant run anything... hence, why your car wont start.

the dealership doesnt need to know any of that. the dealerships machine is made to plug into the ODBII terminal, so you will need to bring your car to them for that solution... sucks, but it happens..

the reason the dealer recommends a new PCM is that NORMALLY that code only shows if the PCM goes bad... of course, yours ISNT bad, you just flashed a bad program onto it... the dealership doesnt expect you to be flashing anything, hence their recommendations...

possible courses of action:
1. tow/trailer car to dealership and have them reflash it.
2. send PCM mail order to someone like wait4me and see if they can flash it.
3. buy new PCM, tow/trailer car to dealership/ have dealership flash PCM thru car with stock program... then reflash it correctly with HP tuners so the car is tuned.

a possible 4th one is to build a programming harness with a ODBII port, and take that and your PCM to the dealer...

id probably try #2 there first...
Old 04-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Restricted User

Dude,

Thanks. What you say does make sense. So you think I should either tow it to the dealer or mail order it to some one (which ever is faster and cheaper). I will try to contact wait4me to see what kind of turn around I can expect.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Restricted User

Maybe someone in the Palm Beach County area could be enticed to come over with their TechII to do at my home.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe someone in the Palm Beach County area could be enticed to come over with their TechII to do at my home.
I would definitly post in your region to see if a local mechanic with access to a tech 2 could help you out fo ra few bucks.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You throw a P0601 on your pcm on a 98, and it is dead.

It will flash fine, have spark, but not start.....I've killed a couple of pcm's with this the checksum error.

Ryan
Old 04-27-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is the epprom that needs reset after this kind of error..
Old 04-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by wait4me
It is the epprom that needs reset after this kind of error..
You will have it tomorrow before Noon. I dropped it at Fedex and sent it Priority Overnight to you. You should have it before noon. HOOK ME UP DUDE!!!!

I wont be able to send you my stock, modified and 2bar SD tunes until tonite when I get back home. I am hoping that you can read .hpt files.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm surprised HPT doesn't check the OS before flashing the cal. good luck.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
I'm surprised HPT doesn't check the OS before flashing the cal. good luck.
We do this on every single vehicle that supports it.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 04-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Magnus
We do this on every single vehicle that supports it.

- Keith, HP Tuners
I think that what he meant was that the software should not have allowed me to do it incorrectly by verifying that the tune did not match the OS. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yea, the problem is the 98's do not report the operating system ID #... so there is no way to verify it, unfortunately.

If you try to do the same on the 99+ V8 vehicles, the software will catch you and prevent you from going any further.

This very example is one of the reasons we were hesitant to release the 98 VCM Enhancements back in the day...

I wish I had a simple solution for ya to get you back up and running.. frying PCM's sucks.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 04-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Restricted User

Gotcha. Oh well. I hope that wait4me can breath some life into this thing for me and keep the cost down on this learning experience.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Restricted User

I just got the good news that Jesse (wait4me) has breathed the life back into my PCM and is sending it back today so that I have it tomorrow. I will post again after I receive it and try it out. Talk about fast turn around. He got it today before noon and I will have it back here in Florida by tomorrow afternoon.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

I did the same thing , 1000 miles from home , with Edit a couple of years back, cost me a little over 700. - new PCM, towing, extra day in motel,and strighten up software,
WAIT4ME offered to help at that time also, I did not have the time to send him my PCM
thanks JES for the offer,Johnny

Last edited by SS SLP2; 04-28-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

I just got the good news that Jesse (wait4me) has breathed the life back into my PCM and is sending it back today so that I have it tomorrow. I will post again after I receive it and try it out. Talk about fast turn around. He got it today before noon and I will have it back here in Florida by tomorrow afternoon.
Oh Jes know's his shizzle
Old 04-29-2006, 03:48 PM
Restricted User

Well, I just got it back and put it back in the car and I am getting the same code. I haven't even tried to do anything to it yet. I just turned the key to the on position and noticed that I still couldn't here the fuel pump prime. I hooked up the scanner and the same ******* code. I hooked up the editor to try to read the tune that he put in there and I get the same "failed" message when it gets to Preparing VCM. This is killing me. DAMN IT!!!! $130 dollars down the tubes.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:11 PM
FormerVendor

I replied to your email.

-Ken

Quick Reply: Code P0601 showing up after I incorrectly flashed my PCM w/ new 2Bar SD from HPTuners