PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever log raw voltage in HPT using EIO? Does it say 0V?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever log raw voltage in HPT using EIO? Does it say 0V?

mine says 1.xxx Volts w/o anything plugged in. Wondering if thats normal.

Dave
Old 05-16-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Mine does the same, it's due to the design and component use. With nothing connected/no load, the scanner reads the open circuit voltage. Which you would think to be 0vdc, but in actuality is in the 1.xxx range.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

and when you hook up your WB02 it reads the correct voltgage?

Thansk
Dave
Old 05-16-2006, 11:31 PM
FormerVendor

Completely normal.

The EIO will read 1.2ish with nothing connected. The A/D buffer chip has internal bias and that is where it floats with no load on the input pins.

The EIO is high resolution and will read whatever is on the input. So if the LC1 has a ripple on the output, it will show up in the scanner.

Regards,

Ken
Old 05-16-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks ken. I have another questioon for you. Why is it when I use my LC1 the voltage is all over the board yet when i use a AA battery on the EIO inputs it reads a steady 1.601V. The output of the LC1 was set to flatline 4.99V and I see a steady 4.9V on my DVOM. Any ideas? Im getting frustrated..

I have the green wire of the LC1 to the ground of the EIO, White to a chassis ground, blue to battery ground and of course the brown to EIO 1 inpute. Ive tried changing ground locations of both white and blue grounds.

Dave
Dave
Old 05-17-2006, 08:05 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
Thanks ken. I have another questioon for you. Why is it when I use my LC1 the voltage is all over the board yet when i use a AA battery on the EIO inputs it reads a steady 1.601V. The output of the LC1 was set to flatline 4.99V and I see a steady 4.9V on my DVOM. Any ideas? Im getting frustrated..

I have the green wire of the LC1 to the ground of the EIO, White to a chassis ground, blue to battery ground and of course the brown to EIO 1 inpute. Ive tried changing ground locations of both white and blue grounds.

Dave
Dave

The DVM will filter out transients in DC mode. Switch the DVM to AC mode and you will see the noise.

The EIO does not provide any loading on the inputs (this is a must for certain wide band mfgr's). If this is a problem for the LC1, try throwing a 1k resistor across the output of the LC1.

All of the transient noise people see on the LC1 is due to the O2 heater current being cycled. This has been verified using a scope, so we know that fluctuating signal is coming from them.

-Ken
Old 05-17-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

does that mean the sensor is bad or its something ill have to deal with? I'm going to use the ac side of my dvm and see what I get but that would make sense since a AAs voltage is rock steady
Old 05-17-2006, 08:28 PM
FormerVendor

Out of all the Wide Band controllers out there, this issue only comes up with a certain manufacturer. It has been blamed on everything from bad sensors, ground loops from the heater current, etc.

Outside of verifying every ground and power connection, I have no advice on how to check for a bad O2 sensor with their stuff.

-Ken
Old 05-17-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

so what you are saying is this is an innovate issue? Im sending the lc1 back to be checked out and I may just get an lm1 or can you recommend something that will work better w/ HPT? Im sick of the problems

Dave