Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ed wright tune...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ed wright tune...

guys with a mail order ed wright tune, are you happy with it? how do i get in touch with him? thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Launching!

I had his tune on my last motor and it was pretty close. I think the website is non sponsor url

Last edited by foff667; 05-30-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've fixed several of them from him...
mail order tunes should be called mail order guesses...
I havent seen any mail order guess from anybody yet that are remotely close
Old 05-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Banned

One thing you might keep in mind too is that Ed likes to lock the PCM which costs about an extra $100 to reflash the PCM if you decide to get it tuned by anyone else. Thats what happened to me anyway...
Old 05-30-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what would you reccomend i do? i think i might get a dyno run and see what im makin...maybe my tune isnt as bad as i think it is. the closest dyno tune would be in ohio but i dont really haev the time to take it out there.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99ccz28
what would you reccomend i do? i think i might get a dyno run and see what im makin...maybe my tune isnt as bad as i think it is. the closest dyno tune would be in ohio but i dont really haev the time to take it out there.
Its really better if you get it dynotuned. It could mean as much as 20 hp or more difference. They really don't know what your engine wants until the start with a baseline and tweak it from there. In other words, you get what you pay for...

But if you have to have a mailorder tune, call HPE. They may do mailorder tunes, but I'm not sure.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:52 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 408WS6
Its really better if you get it dynotuned. It could mean as much as 20 hp or more difference. They really don't know what your engine wants until the start with a baseline and tweak it from there. In other words, you get what you pay for...

But if you have to have a mailorder tune, call HPE. They may do mailorder tunes, but I'm not sure.

its really best if you get it street tuned with a wideband..
take it to the dyno to dial in what spark the car likes the most along with what A/F the car likes the most...
once you have yoru parameters in teh PCM that command the DESIRED A/F ratios...then you go to the street and dial it in with real world airflow and real world load situations....
dont let some dyno guy push around teh PE table to get A/F correct..thats the improper way to do it..
IF you wan 13.0 AFR..then you command 13.0AFR in the PE table and make your VE and MAF tables match the proper values to get there...
and if you get the proper A/f on the dyno that makes the most power..and just take it tothe street you will see that your Street AFR is leaner by almost a full point(meaning that 13.0 is now going to be 14.0...yikes)
Old 05-31-2006, 04:55 AM
8 Second Club

and ed doesnt lock all of his tunes....
he used to....or it seemed like he used to lock them all...
but seeing as I have fixed a bunch of them..without having tojump through hoops...means that he isnt locking as many of them now as he used to...
I still highly recommend agains ANY mail order tune as a be all end all...
it can be a good stat just so you can drive yoru car for break in miles or to just be able to start it and drve it period.....but its not a real tune
Old 05-31-2006, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a chip for my 93 Z28, worked real well with hotcam and bolt on's.
I agree you are better to get a tuner and work on it yourself. guys like waitforme will sort you out a baseline just as good as any other mailorder tune. You can then tweak it yourself and still come in under a full dyno setup cost.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ss_girl
I had his tune on my last motor and it was pretty close. I think the website is non sponsor url

that is a BS removal dude.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by soundengineer
its really best if you get it street tuned with a wideband..
I don't agree with this. If you notice the better shops like HPE and MTI don't even use a wideband to tune. MTI does but you have to pay extra. Reason is because they are so good at it they don't need one. If you've tuned hundereds of cars day in and day out, you would understand. Widebands are for amateurs...

dont let some dyno guy push around teh PE table to get A/F correct..thats the improper way to do it..
I wasn't implying to let *any dyno guy* tune it. I even recommended HPE. Thats who did mine and they are very good at it.

IF you wan 13.0 AFR..then you command 13.0AFR in the PE table and make your VE and MAF tables match the proper values to get there...
13.0 AFR is not the end all to air-fuel ratios. Your specific engine might require something different to run at its optimum.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:20 AM
Banned

and ed doesnt lock all of his tunes....
He did mine, and like I said, it cost me $100 extra to have the PCM removed and flashed.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I trust a good mail order tuner that has been in the buisness for a few years far more than I trust the average guy who bought up a copy of HPtuners and proclaims to be a expert on whats right and wrong.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

please keep this on topic...if you've had a tune done by him & where happy with it or dissappointed feel free to post your experiences. SSgirl if you'd like to pass on his contact info please use the pm system to do so since he is currently not a sponsor here.

Thanks
Bill
Old 05-31-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what about a dyno tune with a diablo handheld...would that work good and would it be able to get a good tune since i have a 224 112lsa with an auto thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ In response to Diablotunes...this one fellow showed up with his diablo tuner thingy at a dyno day, he was SO adamant that it made the car so much faster, he couldn't understand how the people there were paying PCMforless to tune their cars...He got on the dyno and gained ONE hp with the diablo, the look on his face was priceless. Then he finally 'gave in' and let the guys REALLY tune it, and they pulled out 16hp like it was nothing. Needless to say he became a dyno-tune believer
Old 05-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by keliente
^^ In response to Diablotunes...this one fellow showed up with his diablo tuner thingy at a dyno day, he was SO adamant that it made the car so much faster, he couldn't understand how the people there were paying PCMforless to tune their cars...He got on the dyno and gained ONE hp with the diablo, the look on his face was priceless. Then he finally 'gave in' and let the guys REALLY tune it, and they pulled out 16hp like it was nothing. Needless to say he became a dyno-tune believer
Old 05-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Banned

Actually, I don't mean to sound negative towards Ed. The car I bought used already had the tune (by Ed) and it was actually a good tune. The new tuners (not a sponsor here) could not get anymore out of it than what Ed had. The only reason I had to retune is I made some modifications. It did kinda **** me off that it was locked though. But as someone pointed out, he probably doesn't do that anymore.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:02 AM
8 Second Club

I don't agree with this. If you notice the better shops like HPE and MTI don't even use a wideband to tune. MTI does but you have to pay extra. Reason is because they are so good at it they don't need one. If you've tuned hundereds of cars day in and day out, you would understand. Widebands are for amateurs...
oh my god....are you kidding me???
I'm sory dude..but you need to get a clue...
anybody who guesss at your A/F is wrong

I wasn't implying to let *any dyno guy* tune it. I even recommended HPE. Thats who did mine and they are very good at it.
neer said that all dyno guys were bad...just that a lot of them dont do it the right way and most of them dont set yoru A/F for the street...
most of them dont tune it th eright way either..they use the wrong table to get to the AFR and then its still going to be lean on teh street..

13.0 AFR is not the end all to air-fuel ratios. Your specific engine might require something different to run at its optimum.
never said this was optimum...I said if you want 13.0 then you comand 13.0
you should see some of teh time I take on cars to try to find ideal A/F and spark timing in the dyno before I go to the street to dial it in to match commanded for the street
Old 06-01-2006, 09:16 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99ccz28
guys with a mail order ed wright tune, are you happy with it? how do i get in touch with him? thanks

the key is this man...
honestly...you will be getting a mail order guess....
someguys get lucky and its close enough...
but its not correct...

most guys doing mail tunes have a dyno in their shop somewhere in the country..
they have dyno tuned hundered or thousands of cars possibly...
with just about every varying possibility...

but it doesnt mean that its accurate..its just gonna be closer than if you just had teh stock tune still on there...

your best bet is to find a local message board with guys just like you..and se what they recomend for your area..
realistically..they probably know a guy like me that does tuning and does a dam good job at it...
it is important that you get your A/F to be correct for many reasons..but ultimately you want it correct so you get the most power out of your setup...seeing how you may have spent thousands of dollars on parts to make it go fast...why not spend $400-$600 on a good tune that will make you happy for as log as you own the car with its current setup...

a mail order tune can get you going..a real tune will get you going correctly and make you go fast

if you think that mail order tunes are great...then fine.get one...
but you might make a post to see how much guys who used to have mail order tunes..gained from a real street tune(not a dyno only tune)

here in KC I have retuned many guys with Mail order tunes...and all of them have gained from .3 to .7 in the quarter mile...most of them gain right at .5 in the quarter mile....

all of teh mail order tune guys here that I have retuned wonder why they wasted money on a mail order tune..

when ls1 edit was teh only thing out..it was a great option..now ith HP Tuners, and EFI live...there ar many more options..

I use HP Tuners..I have local access to 2 differnt dynos..and I use both tools to help me get a car to respond the best....then I get track proven responses and happy customers....