Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autotap or Auto Enginuity?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autotap or Auto Enginuity?

Which one is better and why? I am looking mainly at autotap, but someone has offered me Auto Enginuity. I am wanting to monitor my air/fuel ratios and other parameters. Any help would be appreciated.

-Jason
Old 06-15-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Why not invest in HP Tuners or EFI Live and allow yourself to be able to tune as well?

Tim
Old 06-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Well I am using a Halltech AFR1 along with a Halltech ported TB, SLP Loudmouths, Halltech Tric and was wanting to fine tune the AFR1 according to my air/fuel ratios. I plan on purchasing LS1 edit in the future, but right now I would like to have autotap to help me until then.

-J
Old 06-15-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

between the two you've posted... autotap ... only because they're more well known between the two

if you want to monitor A/F , then I assume you're installing a wideband O2? (stock O2 sensors are not accurate AFR sensors.... they are accurate STOICH sensors)

LS1 Edit was great 5 years ago..... but now we have full tuning suites (HP Tuners and EFI Live) ....

Check out the main sticky ... lots of info regarding tuning and scanning.... but IMHO it doesnt' make sense anymore to buy just a scanning solution.... you want something that you can take scanned data and update your PCM with it easily.....

I plan on purchasing LS1 edit in the future, but right now I would like to have autotap to help me until then.
scanning w/out being able to change things isn't much help.....

also remember you need autotap WITH enhanced GM params.... not sure of their current pricing .. but it's not much more to go w/a basic HPTuners

Also as I mentioned above.... to accuretly monitor AFR... A/F ... you need a wideband O2 sensor.... and getting a tuning suite that supports the input (log AFR with all other engine parameters) makes more sense.... then being able to trigger circuits based on the PCM reporting (only HP Tuners offers this) could be pretty badass
Old 06-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Teching In

OK, what about the EFIlive Flashscan and tuning device? How does it compare to the autotap? It sounds better than autotap.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:09 AM
Restricted User

The EFILive Scan Tool is optimized and heavily customized for scanning GM's LS1/LS6 and similar PCMs. It offers a large range of extra features for those PCMs not found in most other scan tools.
EFILive has also just reduced the price of the Scan Tool to $249, so it is value for money as well.
http://store.efilive.com/pc-35-15-fl...scan-only.aspx
You can also upgrade the EFILive Scan Tool to the EFILive Scan and Tune Tool when you want to start tuning your PCM.

Here's a list of features of the EFILive Scan Tool
http://store.efilive.com/overview_scanChecklist.htm

The AutoTap Scan Tool will scan all GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles, so if you need to scan more than just the GM V8 engines supported by EFILive, then you would be better off getting the AutoTap Scan Tool.
See here for a list of vehicles supported by EFILive:
http://store.efilive.com/faq_support.aspx#Q9

Regards
Paul
Old 06-19-2006, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Cool! Thanks for your response. Exactly what can you tune with the EFILIVE scan and tune tool for $249.99?

-Jason
Old 06-19-2006, 07:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDevilZ
Cool! Thanks for your response. Exactly what can you tune with the EFILIVE scan and tune tool for $249.99?

-Jason
Dont confuse their scan tool with flashscan....their scan tool scans(although you can take advantage of its bi-directional controls to temporarily change some things). Flashscan can scan & tune hundreds of ls1 parameters.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Restricted User

-Jason
The Scan Tool is $249
The Scan and Tune Tool is $699
To upgrade from the Scan Tool to the Scan and Tune Tool is $500

The Tune Tool features for the Personal, Commercial and Workshop versions are listed here:
http://store.efilive.com/overview_checklist.htm

Regards
Paul
Old 07-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Teching In

What is the difference between the Autotap AT1 and AT2 and so forth?
Old 07-08-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Obviously I am partial, but I have used both Autotap and EFILive. I perfer EFIlive due to the features the scan tool offers that autotap doesn't. Not to mention the fact that later if you do want to tune your car, you have a upgrade choice with EFIlive.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Teching In

The only reason I am considering the autotap over the EFIlive scan tool is because I also want to use it on GM & Chryslers.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

The only reason I am considering the autotap over the EFIlive scan tool is because I also want to use it on GM & Chryslers.
If that is the case, I would get Autotap then. I had the same delima when I first purchased it. I asked myself actually how much I would us it on other brands. Turns out I haven't had to that much and when needed, just run to the local AutoZone.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Do you know what is meant by the AT-1 and AT-2 version of autotap? The chryslers I am referring to are Dodge SS/T trucks ( 3 ). So I need something that will allow me to view and monitor both makes of vehicles.

Quick Reply: Autotap or Auto Enginuity?