Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreemly poor idle, surging between 300 & 1000

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreemly poor idle, surging between 300 & 1000

First of all I have BigStuff3, there are no turbos on the car right now so it is N/A but still open downpipe, I also know that I've got some fouled plugs.

When the car is started it won't idle at 1000 like it should, instead it dips down over and over until it gets to operating temps, I plan to change the plugs this weekend for sure but for now if anyone else has other suggestions I'd like to hear them.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I can't word it in BS3 verbiage, but I'd use a WB to verify the AFR at cold idle. Might also want to monitor spark and the base airflow rates. Want the base airflow table to be dialed in pretty tight.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

surging is overfueling. make sure your injectors/fuel pressure/initial ve table make sense. if still no go, up the idle rpm, try to get it working there, then once you get in the ballpark you can expand your correct area from there.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
I can't word it in BS3 verbiage, but I'd use a WB to verify the AFR at cold idle. Might also want to monitor spark and the base airflow rates. Want the base airflow table to be dialed in pretty tight.

Cold idle AFR is about 13.0:1 and I have verified that my plugs were fouled from running super rich (below 9:1). It was bad enough where unburnt fuel was popping in my exhaust at idle, but we cleaned up the plug that was causing that and it seemed to run ok, it just started the surgy idle thing recently.

I have a set of new plugs, i guess the first step is putting them in and maybe leaning out my idle AFR to 14.5 or something in that range?

I think my spark advance is 22deg at idle
Old 07-25-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont get too obsessed with achieving stoich at idle, big cams sometimes want something richer than that. my first attempt would be to find timing that will give you a good vacuum.
can you give us any more detail on current hardware setup? email it if you wanna keep it private
Old 07-25-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
dont get too obsessed with achieving stoich at idle, big cams sometimes want something richer than that. my first attempt would be to find timing that will give you a good vacuum.
can you give us any more detail on current hardware setup? email it if you wanna keep it private
The whole mod list is in the link in my sig, I don't really care if people know whats done.

I'm heading out to go change the plugs and play with the tune for a few hours and see if we can get it to idle like a normal car. This idle is one of the last problems we have before we throw the turbos back on.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

if you have something similar to bi-directional controls or real time tunning with the BS3, you should be able to tweak the idle AFR and timing to determin what gives the best vacuum.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:28 AM
TECH Addict

Got it fixed, it was my fuel table.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Junkie

good deal