Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Timing and some KR

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Timing and some KR

So I just got hp tuners in and ran my first Log... My timing advance is up to 30+ degrees in some areas. Just wondering if this is normal... I've also got some Knock Retard goin on and have no Idea why... unfortunately I'm at work and cant really tell you what rpm its happening at... at WOT I dont recall any knock.. Ill be able to provide more info when I get home and have the log.. mods are in sig so basically I'm stock...
Old 07-26-2006, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

i had 2 deg off kr on stock timing but i dnt ever recall hitting 30 deg off timing
Old 07-26-2006, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

I know the car had a hypertech programmer on it at one point but was removed and sold... could it not have refered back to the stock maps??
Old 07-26-2006, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

are you saying when your logging your car it hits 30 deg off timing at wot
Old 07-26-2006, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

maybe I'm retarded and dunno how to read the timing but in the graph and where it says "Advance" can go up to like 40*?!? I'm gonna try to post up a screenshot of my log. I dunno if I can post the log itself
Old 07-26-2006, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Knock

Timing
Old 07-27-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Timing looks stock to me. The knock you see is at low rpms. When you put a greater load on the motor while the rpms are low, this can trigger the sensors. The cars do this from the factory. That's why you have more than one gear. To keep this from happening, I'd play with the torque converter lockup/release speeds and the part throttle downshift speeds so the motor doesn't bog as much in lower rpm application. Just be careful not to change things in a way that will cause the trans to jump back and forth between gears or the converter to lock/unlock constantly.

As for the 30+ degrees you see, that's also normal. During normal driving, you'll see timing in the upper 30's ~ lower 40's. I'm not going to get into the details of why and try to explain it. Just know for now that's normal.

It looks like you either live in a higher altitude or you didn't quite go WOT in that log. Normally when you go WOT, you'll see timing logged in the .72~.80 grams/cyl columns on a stock f-body. The best way to tell where your car falls on the spark MAP at WOT is to record a run and filter out everything but WOT. Then you'll know generally where to make changes to adjust WOT spark.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I live in a pretty High Altitude... Southwest Va where all the Mountains are. Thanks for the reply guys