Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about HPTuner Suite..

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about HPTuner Suite..

Ok I know about the stickys and ive searched around as well as went to the Hptuner website and went through all the steps on the online guide. My question is Right now with my exhaust, and intake my LTFT is running rich and i plan on going with an LS6 manifold soon. So i am planning on purchasing a tuner suite so i can change and view my computer settings if I change anything else on the car. That and I am really excited to be getting into the tuning/driveability of the car.

My question is how do you actually tune the engine with the software? Do you change fuel map parameters or any other parameters or does the software already know what you need?

And once again i appologize if this sounds stupid.

Thank you
Old 08-05-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The software lets you change just about anything you can see. It doesnt know what you want, you have to tell it.

Normally this is based on feedback you get from the logs, your wideband controller and looking at other guys stock and modified tunes.. plus time on the dyno.

If you see weird stuff in the logs you fix it in the tune. So of course you need to know whats weird and whats not.. thats the hard bit, it takes time and lots of reading and questions.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Wideband controller? would i need that to tune my engine?
Old 08-05-2006, 09:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisLS1
Wideband controller? would i need that to tune my engine?
-yeah
Old 08-06-2006, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Ok cool! Thanks foff667.
The wideband controller is a seperate o2 sensor that would be mounted in my exhaust system right? Is it used just to verify the changing A/F ratios or would it be directly related to the Hptuning software?

Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2006, 06:05 AM
TECH Junkie

take a look at the VE tuning and MAF tuning stickies, or the link in my sig. That will give you a very good idea of how it all comes to play.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:32 AM
FormerVendor

Ok cool! Thanks foff667.
The wideband controller is a seperate o2 sensor that would be mounted in my exhaust system right? Is it used just to verify the changing A/F ratios or would it be directly related to the Hptuning software?

Thanks again!

You can also use our real time tuning option (RTT) to dial things in quicker, or make some changes to see how the engine responds. Then there is also the learing factor of making live changes to see your data change in the scanner.

-Ken
Old 08-06-2006, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Alright! so basically I need to buy the VCM suite, a wideband o2 sensor and anything else to get be started?
Old 08-06-2006, 11:45 AM
FormerVendor

Alright! so basically I need to buy the VCM suite, a wideband o2 sensor and anything else to get be started?
1) Lots of reading an patience.
2) Always ask questions on this and other forums when you get "stuck".
3) Take good notes and keep copies of your old tunes in case you need to go back a step.
4) Have fun. After all Hot Rodding is a cool hobby.

-Ken
Old 08-06-2006, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Hell yeah hot rodding is a fun hobby! Right now I am going to UTI-hot rod university and im almost to the fun stuff but not quite. Just finished driveability and repair.

Anyways One thing I dont understand is about the speed density tune and open loop. Why would you want to eliminate the MAF and does this mean you are running in open loop the whole time, or is this just to tune the open loop mode? I understand that speed density looks as more tables to measure aif flow for a/f ratio but wouldnt MAF measure them more accurately?

Thanks
Old 08-06-2006, 03:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are many different ways you can tune maf closed loop, maf open loop, SD closed loop, SD open loop pick your flavor...or you can tune SD in open or closed loop then reenable the maf.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Ok cool. This is awesome! I cant wait to get my hands on the program and see how my engine is running. Just have to get a laptop first :-) Its time for a new computer anyways.

Thanks