PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHat to check for BEFORE i go DYNOTUNE??..maintence?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHat to check for BEFORE i go DYNOTUNE??..maintence?

as the title states...im tuning in a couple days, the guy told me if something is wrong with the friggin car on the dyno for whatever reason that they're still gonna charge me whatever it is an hour.(obviously its my responsibility)
**So my questions is what do i change/replace or do maintenance on before i go tuning (car as 87,000 miles STOCK motor) the car has a custom sts kit on 5psi for now only thing i did to it was the RaceTronix PnP fuel pump cuz the stock one took a sh*t

I bought the regular tune up stuff:
mobil 15w50 and filter
fuel filter(its been a while since i last changed it)
ngk tr6 plugs (gapped at .30)
NEW '"vette rear'" bosch 13111 O2' sensors to replace my FRONT O2 units...
42lbs injectors (they'll be put on a few minutes before i put the car on the dyno)
and other misc. stuff(which i dont remember right now, ill edit this in a few mins. probably)

ANY other SUGGESTIONS???? THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 08-16-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like your going in with the right attitude.. I really hate when people bring me stuff with ducttape holding it together as it waste time for both parties.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto.

Check the hoses and coolant/level, as well as make sure the radiator is not covered in mud/gunk to ensure you get good airflow on the dyno.

I hate seeing junk that people bring to me to look at, and i point out 4 mechanical issues before it is even on the dyno.

Ryan
Old 08-16-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

get bigger injectors, 42s wont cut it for 5psi
Old 08-16-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You gap your TR6 plugs at .030. That seems a little close to me.
You could also change your trans and rear end fluid.

Bill
Old 08-16-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

why the mobil 1 15w50 oil? (i think i'm probably missing something)
Old 08-17-2006, 01:16 AM
Restricted User

(ive been hearing alot of good things about the German Castrol GC 0w-40 but i duno if thats BS or not) ANYWAYS mobil 15w50 seems to be what everyone with alil more miles uses and i just liked the idea of thicker oil b/c after i did the rear mount turbo and ran the lines from the pan to the back of the car etc etc...when the car would warm up on a hot day, oil pressure would be at about 28-30psi on idle With the turbo kit....be4 on motor it was closer to 40psi(in the middle), but as soon as i would give it gas in both cases oil pressure would come back to normal and rise, i have a feeling my idle is alittle low(500rpm) and also i think my stock oil pressure gauge is WHACK as hell...its jumps around and never gives me a semi-decent reading...one more reason to install an autometer oil press. gauge

what else do i look for guys?? i think i got all the major mechanical stuff down, i dont think anything is wrong with the important components
Old 08-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
get bigger injectors, 42s wont cut it for 5psi
WTF?? 42's wont cut it for 5psi??? LONGERANGE4U made well over 500rwhp with 42's...i just got 42's cuz i dont plan on doing any major upgrading or more boost for a while...explain why they're not enough RedHard??
Old 08-17-2006, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

8cyl, 4stroke 346ci with will flow about 68lb/min of air up to about 6700rpm. to match that airflow with 11.5AFR you will need about 5.95 lb/min of fuel. That's 44.6lb/hr. Here's a problem: That's if you run them at 100%. You dont want to go past 80%, at which moment you'll end up about 55lb/hr. The closest thing (rounding up for safety) we got is 57 or 60lb/hr.

Either way, svo42s will theoretically cut it, but you're gonna be way too close for comfort, so just buy some cheap insurance and get big injectors.

Bedtime reading:
http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/200...readsheet.html
this is what i used to make all the calcs i posted here

http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/200...ctors-are.html
scary scenario, something to think about

http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/200...t-efilive.html
the classic spreadsheet that will make tuning for new injectors a breeze (unless some hack already messed up your IFR and called it tuning)