Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners: Auto to Manual Flash

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuners: Auto to Manual Flash

I bought a used LS1 with a TR cam and it was tuned as an auto. I would like to keep the tune so I can get to the dyno, but my car is an M6. Is there a way to modify the programming that is on there and switch it to a manual tranny without changing the "tune" portion of it? We have HP Tuners and could not find a check box that lets you select the transmission type. Please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

There are several setting that would have to be changed. You might try downloading and comparing an auto tune to a manual tune to see what needs to be changed.

Either that or just transfer over the pertinant tables from the auto tune to the manual tune.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the response! I figured that's what we needed to do... We did compare my tune to an M6 and changed out what we could. This is all new to me and I'm still learning, but there was a section that had gears listed on one side of the table and I believe RPM on the other side. What is this and how will this table be affected with the change? The table on my tune only had gears 1 - 4.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a vin locked or unlimited license for your PCM?

if unlimited, then just get a M6 bin (stock of course) outta the repository, and do a full write (since this is a full write, use all safety precaustions) to put hte M6 calibrations in it.. then just transfer over the "tune" part (ignore transmission fields)

If however you have a 98 don't do the above
Old 01-18-2007, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by horist

What is the proper way to do this on a 98? I will have to do this in the spring time. My car is a manual and my current tune is bastardized on an auto computer. I have a manual 98 computer with stock tune also....what is the best solution? Why can I just not do a complete write on the auto 98 PCM and flash it over to the M6 PCM?
Old 01-18-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in your case (^^^) if you have a manual M6 PCM for the 98, put it in, then just go through the NON transmission related tables and copy those over to the M6 PCM

so you'd
1. Read A4 PCM, store seperate
2. Read M6 PCM, store seperate
3. Copy calibration changes from A4 performance tables to the M6 PCM read
4. Do a write calibration only back to the M6 computer *using the original M6 file as the base (do not try to write calibration only to the M6 with the A4 .bin/hpt file)

You *may* be able to do a full write over the PCM , but I recall there being some issues if certain things didn't match up... the 98 PCM is different than all other years and more finicky... plus it's always better to do calibration only writes on LS1 PCMs since then there's no chance of killing them
Old 01-18-2007, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the info Mike. I will get to it in the Spring time.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by horist
do you have a vin locked or unlimited license for your PCM?

if unlimited, then just get a M6 bin (stock of course) outta the repository, and do a full write (since this is a full write, use all safety precaustions) to put hte M6 calibrations in it.. then just transfer over the "tune" part (ignore transmission fields)

I don't think it is VIN locked...

Quick Reply: HP Tuners: Auto to Manual Flash