Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can delete only 3 codes??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can delete only 3 codes??

I talked to a guy at a local dyno tune shop that I'm thinking of getting my car dyno tuned at for $400, and he said that you can only delete 3 different codes (he suggested, since i just did LT, ORY, CB, that i do EGR, O2, and CAGS delete); any more, and the computer will throw a code that says too many system processes have been deleted. Is this true?

He seems pretty respectable, he was tuning 2 camaros and a c4 vette at the time i was talking to him.

One more thing, i have a 99 SS and did the !EGR since my LTs dont have EGR/AIR provisions. He said that there is a 50/50 chance that my engine will start pinging. 2 other people that i talked to disagreed with him, although this guy has been tuning for a good amount of time. Any truth to this?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't sound right to me....
Old 03-23-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if he's turning off >3 codes and getting an error then he's doing something wrong....
Old 03-23-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have more than 3 codes disabled and no issues.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KipMaslonka
I talked to a guy at a local dyno tune shop that I'm thinking of getting my car dyno tuned at for $400, and he said that you can only delete 3 different codes (he suggested, since i just did LT, ORY, CB, that i do EGR, O2, and CAGS delete); any more, and the computer will throw a code that says too many system processes have been deleted. Is this true?

He seems pretty respectable, he was tuning 2 camaros and a c4 vette at the time i was talking to him.

One more thing, i have a 99 SS and did the !EGR since my LTs dont have EGR/AIR provisions. He said that there is a 50/50 chance that my engine will start pinging. 2 other people that i talked to disagreed with him, although this guy has been tuning for a good amount of time. Any truth to this?
Sounds like he only wants to delete three codes. If your engine is/will ping, it is his job to make it not ping. Use caution.

It doesn't always help to talk to some of the people whose cars he has tuned because, while the car may run a little better, they don't really know what is going on inside the PCM. When I first got my car tuned, I could feel a difference and thought he had done a good job. I got HP Tuners and took a look inside and it is probably one of the worst tunes I have seen on this forum.

If you had a way of getting a copy of one of his tunes, you could post it on here and get some opinions.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Tuning is one of the few services where other clients are the worst people to ask. If they knew anything about tuning, they wouldn't have someone else doing it for them. BTW, either the guy is lazy or ignorant if he tells you only 3 codes can be deleted.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Yea he did say he could tune it to stop the pinging, play with the timing and steal a bit of power at the same time. If he was lying about the 3 code deal, im kind of weary to have him tune my car then yea?
Old 03-23-2007, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Search isnt working :/
So I'm gettin a dyno tune sometime in the near future, would getting a tune and then installing an air lid be much less of a power increase than getting the lid on then doing the tune?
Old 03-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can turn off damn near as many codes as you want to turn off. Literally hundreds of them. As far as pinging, tuning it out, and reduced power; sometimes tailoring the spark table, so that it doesnt ping, and subsequently pull timing, actually will increase power, not decrease it. Err on the side of caution when it comes to someone tuning your car.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

BTW, I am a really spiteful, evil person, so if you can wipe the entire town of lewisville off the map, I will fly out and tune your car. I would buy the extra HPtuners credits and do the rest for free just to see that mushroom cloud.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

just send me a message and ill pick you up from DFW
Old 03-26-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

why not make a drive to Texas Speed and Performance and have them do it? At least its a reputable shop...
Old 03-26-2007, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Hmmm that is a very good idea, my brother goes to tech out there in lubbock. I may be planning a road trip in a week or so, TSP didnt even cross my mind. It is 5 hours away anyhow :/